Wedding Woes

This friend would probably not be a good sounding board.

Dear Prudence,

My very close friend has a chronic degenerative illness. They’re quite private about their diagnosis and don’t tell people unless they “need to know.” Lately they’ve been doing well, but it’s always something they need to be mindful of. Last year my aunt was diagnosed with the same condition. My aunt is deteriorating very quickly (this illness progresses at different rates in different people). Often I won’t find out how badly she’s doing until I hear from someone who bumped into her how surprised they were by how frail she is. I’m scared of losing her. I want to talk to my friend about this—they’re the person I usually go to when things get tough—but I don’t want to be unkind or unfair by talking about the worst-case scenario for the illness they have. In some ways, I feel like they’re the only person I know who understands the roller coaster of ups and downs that goes along with this illness. Is it selfish to go to them for support in this? I haven’t said anything for months, and I know if my aunt dies, I’ll be devastated. Her condition isn’t a sure death sentence, but things won’t get better from here.

—Aunt Dying of Friend’s Illness

Re: This friend would probably not be a good sounding board.

• Find another friend to talk to. 

I have a very close friend with a chronic illness that has completely changed her life. I would not speak to her about another person's same illness, especially if that person were declining. 
  • LW totally needs to find someone else. My best, and oldest, friend died of cancer in my late 20's and there's no fucking way I'd bring her up to someone who didn't know her and had the same cancer. 
  • I'm not sure if the LW has told the friend about her aunt's diagnosis.  I'll assume she has.  So I think she should follow her friend's cue.

For example, if the friend asks about the aunt, the LW should be honest about the progression.  But doesn't need to go into details, unless the friend asks.

However, if the friend never brings the aunt up or seems reticent in talking about the disease, then obviously the LW needs to respect that.

I also think it's okay to occasionally express a general concern/worry about her aunt.  Just like she would with any other friend.  To not do that is, in a way, a little insulting and patronizing.  I'm sure her friend is already very aware of how ugly the disease can be.  She doesn't need to be coddled and treated differently.

For reference, I also have a major, lifelong, chronic condition.  It also affects people very differently and at different rates.  It will almost certainly shorten my life and leave me severely disabled one day.  It is my probable fate and, while I occasionally worry about it, I accepted it a long time ago.  Nobody needs to pat me on the head and sugarcoat things.  If a friend told me her aunt was "fine"*, so that I wouldn't worry about myself, but the aunt was actually on dialysis because her kidneys had failed, I'd be pretty hurt by the lie.

*of course, I'm not saying people need to disclose their own or other people's medical condition/progression.  But it is insulting if the only motivation is to "protect me" (eye roll).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only thing that I would ask of this friend, is the name of her doctor, so I could pass it on to aunt.  Friend does not need to be the sounding board of LW while the aunt is not doing well in any treatment.  Finding online groups to help support LW or a therapist is a better choice than unloading on someone who may eventually be going through the same thing as aunt.