Wedding Woes

Today's bonus Prudie: Whoa

Q. Pregnancy After Unimaginable Tragedy: My stepchildren’s mom died suddenly not long ago. They are 11 and 13, and now live with my husband and I; we have always lived nearby their mom’s house. I recently discovered I was pregnant but have not told anyone—for over a week—because I’m not sure whether it would be fair to have the baby. My stepchildren obviously need unending amounts of love, support, and stability as my husband and I help them navigate their grief. A newborn would be a major disruption. But at the same time I want this baby so much. My husband and I had begun to try before his ex-wife died. Part of me is scared he will ask me to abort the baby. Another part thinks that’s the only fair thing to do. What advice can you offer?

Re: Today's bonus Prudie: Whoa

• Oh man. What an awful time for such a wonderful thing.

LW obviously needs to talk to her H. Like, last week. Then they can go from there. 

But yeah counseling for sure too.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm surprised she is considering aborting a child she really wants.  And that she's worried her H will feel the same way.  It seems extreme, just because the timing is bad.

She needs to tell her H and then they can work out a plan to tell the stepchildren.  I agree that family counseling sounds like a great idea.  Hopefully the stepchildren are already receiving grief counseling.

Plus, by the time the baby is born, the grief won't be as fresh for everyone.  A new baby might even be the kind of change that helps its siblings transition from their grief to the future and that life does go on, even with the loss of a loved one.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know I'm cycnical AF, so I'm trying to take this at face value. 

At this point, I would tell her husband so he knows and get him on board with finding therapy for everyone, with the counselor in the know so that it's handled with compassion and grace, both the lead into, the telling, and whatever aftermath may occur.
  • This is an incredibly dramatic reaction to the situation she presented.  I guess I don't have a lot of experience with blended families, but wow.  I support any woman's right to have or not have a child, but I feel like there's got to be something missing from this story if she feels that abortion is the only fair thing to do. 

Tell H asap (I cannot believe she waited a week anyway) and get everyone to counseling.

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2019
    S+S my thoughts exactly. That's a big reaction to something that they wanted and were trying for. I mean what if the woman had died the day before the baby was born or the day after - would she suddenly put that baby up for adoption to help the kids grieve the loss of their mother? 

edit wrong name