Wedding Woes

Halfway!

How are we doing?

H is home again today because there's not a whole lot an electrician who can't strain or lift more than 20 lbs. can do at work. Which is good because we have at least one more showing and he can get the house ready and the dog out. And he's got another day to rest because he's still pretty uncomfortable and swollen. 

I'm trying not to get too excited, but there is already interest in the house. As my mom would say, I could just shit. 

I gotta get to one more Hawks game before the end of the season. With how LOOOONG winter has been, I feel like the hockey season has gone quickly.
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Halfway!

• That's exciting about the house! 

I'm going to do the TSA Pre Check, but it's so annoying that it doesn't let you choose when the appointment is. I chose one office in Westchester last night, and it was giving me 3/15. Figured I'd wait until the morning to see if I could get something for next week. Now it's saying 3/28. 
    I do also have the option of going to Newark since it's near my job. I'll probably just do that. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2019
    Today and tomorrow are going to be in the 60's, but rainy.  At least we got outside Monday and yesterday, but I want it to be warm AND nice weather.  But it's the midwest and we can't have nice things.  :D

I read through some of the college admissions scandal stuff last night.  I read some of the most ridiculous stuff out loud to DH.  So much of it is people having more money than sense and giving zero fucks about what they're doing even when it's clearly wrong and illegal.   SMH

My sister did her DNA kit.  The results were not shocking.   Pretty much the background I've been told we have my entire life (German and Scandinavian, no wonder my kid will take his shirt off when jumping on the trampoline in 40 degree weather and not give a single eff about it...Viking blood.  ;)

For podcast people, I've started listening to a podcast called 'trashy divorces'.  It's the intersection of my love for pop culture, trivial information I'll keep in my brain for-ev-er, and train wrecks.  
  • That is so awesome @shessocold.  I know you want to get out of dodge.  And I don’t blame ya.
    @climbingwife. I really need to look into precheck for the amount of traveling I do.  But now I’m looking at global entry because I want to do a lot of international now. It’s the same cost as domestic trips!  I hope its not a PITA to get it. 

Annoying coworker is out today.  When I read the email - I may have done a jig.  💃  life is SO great when she’s out. 

• That's exciting about the house! 

I'm going to do the TSA Pre Check, but it's so annoying that it doesn't let you choose when the appointment is. I chose one office in Westchester last night, and it was giving me 3/15. Figured I'd wait until the morning to see if I could get something for next week. Now it's saying 3/28. 
    I do also have the option of going to Newark since it's near my job. I'll probably just do that. 
    I read online recently that some credit cards will reimburse you for the TSA precheck or global entry fee if you use that credit card to pay for it
  • @mrsconn23 I ordered an Ancestry kit last week and I'm super excited! Also, I needed another podcast rec. Thanks! I'm listening to American Scandal now. 

@CharmedPam I was thinking about Global Entry, but I really only travel internationally once per year. I thought maybe TSA would benefit me more? 

@kvruns good to know about the credit card! I'm going to look that up. 
  • kvruns said:
    That's exciting about the house! 

I read online recently that some credit cards will reimburse you for the TSA precheck or global entry fee if you use that credit card to pay for it
    I’m looking at it now!  Amex platniumum is the best, it has that reimbursment for it along with a lot of other perks (lounge access was NICE!) but it’s $450/yr :-/

• SP & OWK, those duplicate posts were me. I marked you as never ever spam and that resulted in those purgatory posts being posted. 

Sorry! 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Had an hour long meeting at 9 then went more than half an hour over and now I don’t feel like doing any of the follow ups. I will but I just want to take a nap. 

We also have a team bonding afternoon and I’m just not in the mood. I’m sure it will be fine but it feels like forced fun. 
  • @OliveOilsMom, I love board painting.  I've done it three times.  For someone who is only crafty in the 'paint by numbers' or 'I'll say my kid made this' sense, it scratches the itch and also looks nice in the end.  ;) 
  • @mrsconn23 I ordered an Ancestry kit last week and I'm super excited! Also, I needed another podcast rec. Thanks! I'm listening to American Scandal now. 

I'll put American Scandal on my list.  Trashy Divorces is pretty funny...but they're actually really sensitive about the dark sides of these divorces.  
  • So exciting about the house SSC, hope it goes quickly for you guys!

Climbing - glad you got a better time, TSA pre-check has been SO nice, i'll never go back!

OliveOil - I love that sign, what a cool gift!

I am finally feeling better, yay!  Being out of the office on a Monday really messes with me, I feel like my days are so off.  I have to do all the laundry tonight so I can start packing for NYC!!  So excited :)

I'm a little disappointed because my fertility Dr. just told me I shouldn't work out while I'm going through a treatment cycle. I'm not supposed to do anything more strenuous than walking. It's only been 5 days and I feel so sluggish and gross already.  Also, the gym is kind of pricey and to not be able to use it for 2 weeks every month we have treatment kinda sucks.  I've asked for a pause on my membership but haven't heard anything yet. 

• @OliveOilsMom I love that map board idea! I've never done one of those classes. I might have to look into that. I'm pulling stuff together to head back up to Chicago this weekend and then down to SC next weekend for three weeks. Ends up that DS1 and DIL aren't going to be able to join us after all. The good news he got another part time job so at least he is almost working full time. Not exactly what he wants to be doing forever but at least he is working while he is looking for a permanent job. As mrsconn said it is warmer today but rainy. I'm ready to wear spring stuff and let my toes out of winter prison! I need to have a pedicure before we head south. I'm putting off until next week since I have a derm appointment Friday morning. I'm off to Sephora this morning to buy some stuff I don't have time to wait for UPS arrival.
  • @SheSoCold, so much anticipation!  Just think, you and H could be gallivanting off to Montana in less than 2 months ;).  With you saying good-bye to that job you love so much, lol//s.

I have my own anticipation going on.  There are two duplexes next door to each other that dropped in price late yesterday.  On the surface, they looked like an insanely good value and I sent my H off this morning to look at the exteriors and neighborhood, ie anything glaringly wrong/concerning.  Though we're already fairly familiar with the neighborhood.

I sent an e-mail to my realtor with a "heads up" that I might be wanting to make offers later this morning.  I also asked her how much the tenants are paying in rent and if they are month-to-month or still under leases.  Aaannnndddd found out why these properties appear to be such a smoking hot deal.  All four sets of tenants are only paying $500/month for units where the market rent is $1200/month, smh.  OMG, you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.  

Just for the cherry on top, the listing agent doesn't even know if there is time left on the leases or not.  WTH?  Why wouldn't he know this?  These properties have been on the market for over a month.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask because that's an extremely crucial piece of info for an investment property.  Especially one where the tenants are paying less than 50% of market.  Though my guess is these are all long-term tenants and are all month-to-month.

In summary, if things work out, it will be a much bigger challenge than I was anticipating.  But, with challenges, often comes opportunities.  Especially in real estate.  I just need to keep telling myself that, lol.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Sorry @casadena, thats frustrating!  That’s such a cute map board @OliveOilsMom!

I spent yesterday trying to tally the number of times my daughter with the flu coughed/sneezed in my face over the weekend, and yesterday evening went to the urgent care to get tested for the flu, brought my younger two along.  I’m totally clear and they both had a little viral something but not the flu.  Yay.  We’re all home today resting.  Whether or not they’re up to it I’m going back to work tomorrow, H is off.  I can’t believe all this college admissions madness is going down and I’m not inside a HS counseling office right now! 
  • S+S am I understanding correctly that if you were to buy it then, assuming they are on month-to-month leases, they'd basically be told pay market rate or get out? They wouldn't have any other way to lock in their rate, right? 
  • ei34ei34 member
    That’s so great @6fsn that you were able to share all of that.  Sending best vibes!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited March 2019
    kvruns said:
    S+S am I understanding correctly that if you were to buy it then, assuming they are on month-to-month leases, they'd basically be told pay market rate or get out? They wouldn't have any other way to lock in their rate, right? 
    That's largely correct.  On a month-to-month lease, either the tenant or the landlord can give each other a 30-day notice of any change and/or move-out.  Not all jurisdictions are 30 days, some are longer, but mine is 30 days.

TBH, if I close on these properties, I'd probably just give them a 30-Day Notice To Vacate, plus whatever the remainder of the month is.  So, if I served it on April 15th, their last day would be June 1st.  Just to give a little more time and because it's often easiest for people to move to a new place on the 1st.  If the gap was smaller, I might offer them to stay for a higher rent.  But, in this case, I'd be at least doubling it and that's a pretty tough pill for people to swallow.  I'm sympathetic, but it would rarely end well.  I'd also offer each unit some money to comply with the notice and be out in a timely manner.  I don't have to do that but, if it makes the transition smoother for everyone and I don't end up in eviction court, it's money well spent.

The additional challenge for me would be then having to rehab 4 units at the same time.  Seems like most of the work is cosmetic, but it's still a lot.  If the current rent was even in the ballpark, I would stagger it some.  But the current rent doesn't even cover the mortgages and insurance/tax expenses.  So time is really of the essence.  (edited for better word choice)

For an update, my H did like the exteriors and the neighborhood.  Also, my realtor spoke further with the listing agent.  All the tenants are month-to-month, as I had suspected.  Now I need to figure out what I want to offer.  Argh!  I was good with the list prices, until I found out all the time, lost income, and work/expenses I'm going to have up-front. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker