Moms and Maids
Options

MOH blocked me and isn't talking to me (long)

Okay, some back story: I got engaged June 2018. I asked my BFF since 6th grade to be my MOH and she happily agreed. A few months later, she herself got engaged, but decided to wait until 2020 to get married so that way we could be MOH in each others weddings. At the time of my engagement to she was working a not-so-great job that made her miserable and was commuting for school on the weekends (a commute of several hours). Her fiance is a pastor, which obviously comes with its own social engagements. 

First, I am attempting to pick a date and am making sure what works with her (yeah, I know, you should pick a date before you ask someone to be your MOH but we are basically sisters). Any weekend I pick out doesn't work for her. So we finally settle on a Friday. Fine, we are having the wedding at my grandfather's farm, so no big deal. I should also note that all this arranging is because we had asked her fiance to officiate our wedding (even though all the dates I suggested were Saturdays). Also one of the excuses for dismissing a date I proposed was that she would miss Pride (they are an LGBTQ couple). I know it's important to them, but Pride happens every year; I've never been married before and do not plan to again. 

Second, I'm a fairly easy-going bride so I was going to give my girls (who were totaling at 4, including MOH) my color scheme and they could pick their own bridesmaid dresses. MOH picks one out that worked for all the girls. Several months later I ask them to order their dress, so that way if it needed tailoring, there would be plenty of time. She asks why they had to order it so soon, because she is short on money. I should also note at this point she had gotten a new job that paid her 3X as much. And also, she picked out the dress so she knew the price. She sees that if she orders it any later it will not be here in time for the wedding, so she finally orders it.

Third, since I knew my MOH was short on money and time, I decided to plan my own bachelorette party. She was working and going to school, and I am just going to school. Originally we had an arranged a lowkey weekend at a hotel with a spa day. I also arranged this back in July 2018 because one of my bridesmaids lives faraway and I wanted to give her plenty of time to arrange flights. We had settled on the days. But as the dates grew nearer, she kept suggesting things that weren't really for me. More of a girl's night in, instead of going out to do things. So I suggested we stick closer to home instead of going to the hotel which was several more hours away, because there were more things to do closer and it would gives us more time to do things. They all agreed that was fine (we didn't have any financial obligations at that point). But when it came to finding an AirBnB and planning things, she starting wondering if instead of 3 days, we could just do 2? And instead of doing all these activities, we could just do more night-in things, due to financial reasons. I told all of them that I would help financially by paying for all the activities but I would really like some help paying for the AirBnB ($75 each) and that maybe instead of 3 nights at the airbnb we would just do 2 and spend one at my apartment. It was all agreed upon.
Two weeks before the bachelorette she and her fiance go to Las Vegas to see a concert. A concert that my MOH didn't even really want to go to, but went just because her fiance was going. Then they went to see her fiance's family in Arizona. She got back a week before the bachelorette and I hardly heard from her. The day of the bachelorette party I text her to figure out car things, and she backs out of the first night. I told her I was hurt, that this was important to me. She said she was tired from travelling so much and might have caught a cold on the plane. She knows she easily catches bugs on planes; it literally happens every time she travels. They booked this Las Vegas thing AFTER we picked out the date of the bachelorette. So, she backs out of the entire weekend.

Fourth, my fiance has seen how my MOH action's have affected me. She has backed out of several social dates before this that were just the four of us. He doesn't care for her. He told me that if anything like that happened at my bachelorette, he wanted to find someone else to officiate for us. When I tell him what happened, he messages my MOH fiance and very politely explains that we have chosen someone else to officiate for us. Later that day, both my MOH and her fiance blocked me on every social media and will not respond to my texts. 

Honestly, I do not have very many female friends and had another bridesmaid back out before this. I'm more hurt that my MOH would block me rather than talk to me. I just feel so devastated right now and I have no idea if she still wants to be a part of my wedding or not. 

Apologies this is so long, but I just need to know if I am being crazy.

Re: MOH blocked me and isn't talking to me (long)

• Options
    So, a lot of your post comes off as very judgmental of your MOH and her partner. It seems as though you're bothered by the fact that they wouldn't skip pride weekend to be at your wedding, because it happens every year. If your MOH's partner is a pastor, and very involved in the community, wouldn't it make sense that they need to attend pride weekend? 

She told you she couldn't afford the dress, but you're insisting she had the money. How do you know? Are you privy to all her financial accounts? She's planning her own wedding, yes? Maybe that the reason she didn't have the money. Either way, that's not for you to judge. 

You're mad that she flew to see her FI's family, because she gets sick every time she flies? How long before your events should she not be traveling on a plane? Do you get to dictate her travel schedule? Also, this is an event YOU planned. She had already clued you in that she couldn't afford it, by asking you to scale down your plans. Honestly, it sounds like you put her in a very uncomfortable position here. You wanted to force your friends to pay for the Airbnb, even after they said they couldn't afford it. 

So, let me see if I understand this last situation correctly. Your FI was mad at your MOH for the way she treated you (I'm sure he only heard your side...), and because he was angry, he called MOH's partner and fired her from officiating the wedding. Meanwhile, it was so important to you to have her officiate that you actually planned your wedding around her availability. Does that not seem childish and petty to you??

I truly think you AND your FI are in the wrong here. If you want to save these friendships, you need to apologize. 
  • Options
    Why did the other bridesmaid back out? Do you think you might be making too big a thing of your wedding? No matter how much other people love you, it is never going to be quite as big a deal to them as their own stuff.
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2019
    OK, there's a lot going on here. 

1. Yeah, it's a little odd that MOH is now saying she can't afford a dress that she picked out herself, but you gave your bridesmaids the color scheme and told them to pick what they wanted, so does it really matter if they're not all in the same dress? And besides, it's not unusual for the MOH to wear a somewhat different dress from the rest of the BP anyway, so if she's wearing something else, is it really that big of a deal?

2. You should not have planned your own bachelorette party. If others don't have the time, money, or inclination to plan one, you don't have one. Sorry, but that's how it is.

2. Are you seriously judging your MOH for going on a trip with her FI and going to visit the FI's family? That seems rather petty to me. Her life goes on regardless of your wedding or your bachelorette party. She can't just not go anywhere or do anything because you're getting married. And guess what? She was never obligated to attend anyway.

4. Your FI seriously overreacted by firing your MOH's FI as officiant just because your MOH flaked on the bach party. If I were in their shoes, I'd be mad at you too. 

I think you should find a way to get in contact with your MOH and apologize her AND her FI (and frankly, your FI should apologize too). Weddings can sometimes strain friendships, fairly or unfairly, but none of what's happened here is worth losing a friend you've known for such a long time. It may be too late (and I wouldn't blame them if they stay mad), but you should at least try.

• Options
    Well, you were all correct. I guess I was expecting too much of her. She finally got back to me and basically told me I was being a huge burden and she doesn't want to be my friend anymore. 
    And yeah, we are all in the mid-20s range so maybe we are acting childish and stupid. 
    I'd say more about each of your individual responses (which were probably all fair) but I'm honestly real tired. I apologized to her for all the reasons stated above but I guess that was her final straw on a 14+ year friendship. Wish I wasn't such a prick. Thanks everyone for your help; I truly do appreciate it.
  • Options
    Well, you were all correct. I guess I was expecting too much of her. She finally got back to me and basically told me I was being a huge burden and she doesn't want to be my friend anymore. 
    And yeah, we are all in the mid-20s range so maybe we are acting childish and stupid. 
    I'd say more about each of your individual responses (which were probably all fair) but I'm honestly real tired. I apologized to her for all the reasons stated above but I guess that was her final straw on a 14+ year friendship. Wish I wasn't such a prick. Thanks everyone for your help; I truly do appreciate it.
    That really sucks. I wouldn't give up yet. You apologized, and hopefully after some time she'll forgive you. 
  • Options
    That really sucks. I wouldn't give up yet. You apologized, and hopefully after some time she'll forgive you. 
    Agreed. Let her know that you respect her space, but if she does ever want to talk, you'd be open to it.
  • Options
    Agreed. Let her know that you respect her space, but if she does ever want to talk, you'd be open to it.
    Me three.  This is all still fresh and, hopefully with some time, she'll be open to reconnecting and working on the friendship.  We have all been guilty of saying or doing the wrong things, especially in the heat of the moment.  But it also says a lot that you apologized to her and owned up to it.  Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Most of all, take the lessons learned, but also, think of it as it was the way things were meant to work out.  Friendships sometimes have seasons and it's not unusual that friendships from childhood evolve when you're the age you are when life has a way of changing.  It's not a negative, it just is a part of life sometimes.  

Your next step is letting the situation go and moving on.  I agree with the PP in that you really were bending over backwards as much as a person could, and it's raw right now, but take a moment to look and laugh, her schedule a year out was more important than anyone else's to the point you scheduled the wedding on a Friday, not convenient for most of the people on your guest list.  Yes, your FI is who nailed that coffin on the friendship ending, OTOH, I think given some of the dynamics that you posted and your FI experienced, I'm guessing it was probably long overdue.  The time is now to consider that part of things in the past and focus on those in your life now and planning your awesome wedding.  She's said her peace, respect her space and boundary.