Wedding Woes
Options

Dad dying, mom in denial, I am in the middle.

Dear Prudence,
My dad is very sick with lung cancer, has a compromised immune system because of chemo, and has terrible gout in his hand. He was recently diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and is often exhausted. My mom has her own medical issues and, by awful coincidence, is having a terrible episode of knee pain that has reduced her mobility. My main worry is that my mom often says things like “Dad will be all right; he’s going to get through this.” My dad has occasionally talked about death and has started preparing me to take over his personal business (paying the bills, taking care of their estate and property, helping my mom out, etc.) if things take a turn. He also will comment to our mom a bit about death, to which my mom has replied, “I don’t want to hear that,” or “He’s going to be fine. I don’t want to hear him talk like that.” Both my dad and I are worried about what seems obvious: He’s very sick with cancer, may die from it, and is preparing himself mentally and emotionally for that possibility. Is it wrong of me to gently encourage my mom to develop a different coping mechanism to help my dad talk or think it through? Should I simply respect that she will have her own process, which may include a long period of denial (maybe never accepting death until it actually happens)?
—Mom in Denial

Re: Dad dying, mom in denial, I am in the middle.

• Options
    Respect that your parents have their own relationship and if your Dad is worried (not you being worried, him being worried) encourage him to talk to her. But it isn’t your place to judge her coping mechanism or how she deals with potentially losing her husband. 

Maybe shes trying to keep positive around you/him, maybe it helps to reassure herself they’ll both be fine, maybe she really is in denial. If you Dad is feeling like he can’t talk to her, help him come up with a plan to bring it up to her, but this really isn’t a place for you to tell her what she’s doing is wrong. 
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You may not be able to change how your mom deals with it now, but you can help your dad get his affairs in order and be there if/when he passes to help mom get through the initial decision-making and subsequent coping of his passing.

• Options
    Be there for your dad and let your mom handle her fear and grief in her own way
  • Options
    What you can do: help dad with his affairs and ensure that he has a will in place for him and your mom.

Mom sounds like she's not wanting to face the possibility that her life partner is going to pass so she's trying to be positive.   I don't want to think about that day either. 

But I think from a legal perspective LW can talk to attorneys to ensure that finances are in order for his business, their home and their care AND that a power of attorney is in place should there be a time that decision making is impaired.     
  • Options

I agree with Ro & Banana.  The best thing to do right now would be to help dad as best as possible.  Mom is in denial, whether it is to just try and keep a positive outlook or she refuses to believe anything is actually real is for another discussion.

Provide dad with the assistance he needs.  There may be a hospital advocate that could help LW navigate through the various legal things dad needs.  The advocate may also be able to point out counseling for dad, mom and LW.  If mom won't talk to dad about end of life things and LW can't hear it, a counselor could be brought in to just talk with dad.  Could probably find a secular or religious one, depending on what type of person dad wants to speak with.

• Options
    LW needs to be open about the discussions with her father, especially for something like the Will and ensuring all dots and crosses are made... Along with have the discussion about all things funeral whether he wants a cremation or not, finances in that regard.  POD for the bank account type things, etc.  But also such that Mom is protected financially as well so it doesn't become a kid having a power grab situation (a friend has this, her late husband left the house to the kids instead of her and the kids want her out of the house so they can sell it and get the money)...