Wedding Woes

Do people never talk to their partners anymore?

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been dating a great guy for over two years. It’s pretty serious: We live together, and I can see a future for us. But there’s one thing that really makes me question what that future would look like. He seems to equate having a younger wife with a certain level of success. For example, if I mention someone who is 20 years older than his wife or girlfriend, he’ll say, “Well, he did well.” Or he’ll talk about senior leaders at his company and mention that they’re on their second wife who is 10 years younger, as if that’s relevant to anything.

I’ve told him this bothers me and makes me question our future. I’m only two years younger than him! He’s very ambitious, and these comments make me feel like the moment he hits his career peak in his 50s, he’ll dump me for some younger woman. I know he’s a little superficial, and so am I, to be honest—I take good care of myself, and barring any major health issues, I’ll probably be in better shape than he is at that age! But I’d like to avoid a divorce in my 50s. Otherwise, he is a kind, caring, and generous partner whom I trust and love. Is this a deal breaker? Should I run? I’m 33, and especially if I want kids, it’s prime time for finding a long-term partner.

—Ageist Boyfriend

Re: Do people never talk to their partners anymore?

• "Dude - when you make these comments it makes me think that you're in this for decades maybe but not a lifetime.   Where do you see us going?" 

I feel like Daniel Tiger needs to start singing a song about how kids need to "Use their words" so grown ups know how to . 
  • To me I think it is strange to be this hung up on a hypothetical thing that could happen 20 years from now. I think it is important for them to talk about it before getting married since it sound like a big issue but I admit i also find it a bit odd. 
    Who knows if they will get married, who knows if he will ever be a big wig, who knows if he would still have this same mindset/think its cool 20 years from now, etc etc
  • I think these are the kind of flippant comments that people will (unfortunately) occasionally make.

But if he's pretty frequent about it and seem to be genuinely "admiring", I think that does deserve a serious convo.  It is a concern.

Not even so much from the "will he leave me when I'm middle-aged" perspective, but more so from the "what kind of a sexist a***ole is this guy" convo.  Because it's also implying that pretty, young women are nothing but trophies for successful men to hang on their arm.  Gross.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you want to marry a guy who clearly views women as objects? 
    Yeah this is the real problem; viewing women as a particular marker of success. 
  • This would concern me and I totally think that LW should hesitate. 

• Yeah it definitely seems odd that LW is more concerned about being a 50-year-old divorcee than she is that her partner is a complete tool. Right now. Today. Not "he could be someday". He is currently a tool. 

LW said she's mentioned her concerns to him, but I think his response is pretty damn important and I don't like that she didn't include that in the letter. I feel like knowing his response to this would completely swing my advice one way or the other.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Do you want to marry a guy who clearly views women as objects? 
    Exactly! I kept picturing this future grey hair giving a tour of his McMansion: "and over in the garage is my Ferrari, and above that fireplace is the lion I shot on safari last year, and here is my trophy wife I got three years ago when I made partner."