Wedding Woes

Finish or quit?

Dear Prudence,

I’m in graduate school 11 hours away from my hometown where my family and boyfriend of three years all live. I have lived much farther away in the past for much longer. Generally, though I’ve missed home, I’ve been enjoying the work I do. But this semester has been different. I have my biggest course load so far, my grandfather is going through a lot of health problems, my mom’s anxiety is at an all-time high, my dad’s business is in crisis, and long distance is hard but manageable. These things have been easy to push to the side to focus on my schoolwork, but now just trying to read is like pulling teeth. I keep thinking “I DON’T WANT TO DO THIS.” I can’t finish assignments until the day they’re due because every day I’m not sure if I’ll go back to school or just drop out. My lease is up for renewal, but I can’t bring myself to sign the paperwork because I don’t want to be here anymore. And, the thing is, there’s absolutely no reason for it! Last semester I was excited to get out of bed every day and had ideas to share in class. Money’s not an issue. I have so many scholarships I’ll come out on the other side of this degree without loans and more money than I started with. I’ve never been homesick before, and the only thing that’s changed about me being away this time compared with previous times is that I’m in a relationship now.

Am I really that girl? The girl who gives up all her dreams and ambitions just to be with a man? This degree will give me so many more opportunities in the career I want to go into, but right now I’m hating every minute of it. I just want to sit in a garden with my boyfriend all day, which is unrealistic but all I dream of. Please help me. How do I stay motivated? Should I drop out, even though I know I’ll be taking on significant debt by backing out of the contract for these scholarships and never have a career opportunity like this again?

—Boyfriend or Grad School

Re: Finish or quit?

• Finish.  I’m wondering if she never had a problem with the distance before because it was all new and exciting for her. Now, it’s taking a toll on her which is the norm.  I’d like to know how much longer she has?

• Yeah, how much time LW has left would be a good thing to have included. 

Don't do it, LW. I'm hoping she knew what her answer was and she just needed to hear it from an uninvolved third party. Especially since she lists her parents as reasons to go home, but then writes as though missing her boyfriend is the #1 reason to go home - I think she knows she's looking for excuses to go home. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think before you make any big decisions make some small adjustments. 

Does your boyfriend come to visit or do you always go back there? If you’re doing most of the travel to see each other try changing it up. 11 hours is long distance to drive, but can he/you make more frequent trips? Can he spend summers/breaks in your town (or vice versa)?

I’d also try the school counseling services. Sounds like your program is getting harder, in addition to everything that is going on. Getting some resources to balance this is a really good idea. The letter says they’ve been together 3 years, so getting the boyfriend isn’t what changed last semester to this one. 
  • She needs to take a long, hard look at what her life would be like if she dropped out and moved back home. 
  • I think before you make any big decisions make some small adjustments. 

Does your boyfriend come to visit or do you always go back there? If you’re doing most of the travel to see each other try changing it up. 11 hours is long distance to drive, but can he/you make more frequent trips? Can he spend summers/breaks in your town (or vice versa)?

I’d also try the school counseling services. Sounds like your program is getting harder, in addition to everything that is going on. Getting some resources to balance this is a really good idea. The letter says they’ve been together 3 years, so getting the boyfriend isn’t what changed last semester to this one. 
    That was the comment I found weird in this letter also.  I wonder if they knew each other from being in the same hometown and he's been attending the same college as her, until recently?  I don't know.

I'd also like to know how much longer she has.  Seems like that would be an important part of the decision also.

Logically, it is such a bad idea and the LW knows that.  Because it's not finishing her degree AND going into debt for paying back scholarships.  Talk about a lose-lose.  Maybe thinking about how many years she would need to work to pay back that debt could put things in perspective.  But I know it can be hard to see the forest for the trees when logic and feelings are in opposite places. 

I especially agree with seeing the school counselor.  They can probably give her some coping techniques to hopefully get some of her mojo and excitement for her program back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She needs to take a long, hard look at what her life would be like if she dropped out and moved back home. 
    It'd be sitting in a garden all day, duh. That's how life works.

Just had this conversation this morning with my three year old about how sometimes she has to go to daycare and I have to go to work even if we'd both rather stay home together.

LW needs counseling about a realistic way to deal with the sub-inspiring parts of school, and/or the depression she might have.