Wedding Woes

Happy Tuesday!

What's cookin'?

Yesterday was the first 70 degree day in Chicago. I gave in to the little voice telling me to call in since I don't have any work to do and I'm quitting anyway. It was the right move.

I hope everyone's having a good day so far!
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Happy Tuesday!

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That was the right call @ShesSoCold !

I'm peeved because the car needs the struts (I think?  Maybe shocks?) replaced and it's going to cost a bit over $2,000.  This was at Pep Boys so I decided to open up a credit card and charge it.  I have $200/mo to pay off before the interest kicks in but I kind of/don't really have the entire sum.  Or like not for struts.  I was approved for the card, it came last week with a letter saying "do not use until you receive a letter regarding your line of credit of $1500".  Okay.  The letter came yesterday saying I wasn't approved for the credit line.  Any questions please write to us at this address.  No phone number or email.  So I wrote and mailed them a letter this morning but is this a thing?  You're approved for a credit card but with no credit line?  Please share.  (FWIW my credit scores are 812 with Transunion and 830 at Equifax.)
  • Totally the right call @ShesSoCold. That’s weird @eileenrob, and a bummer because they likely pulled your credit report for that dropping your score a few points. 

Not too much here; we moved some furniture last night to make room for a piano that’s getting delivered today. I’m super excited because it’s been years since I’ve had one and I miss playing. 

Im also starting two a day runs this week to get ready for my relay race in May. Wish me luck!
  • YAY for calling in.  That's the best.  "I can't see...myself coming in today.  Kthanxbai!"

Ugh eileenrob, wtf? That's stupid and messed up.  We did shocks last year on my car and it was a nightmare (DH tried to DIY with BIL...and there were all sorts of unforeseen issues).  

I'm feeling at a crossroads with company changes.  I don't plan on doing anything in the short-term, but I'm starting to think about what I want for myself in the long-term career-wise.  It doesn't help that I ran into an acquaintance on Sunday that gave me some stuff to think about.   I tried to noodle my thoughts at DH last night, but his initial reaction wasn't super enthusiastic.  Part of me understands it (because I work from home, have a fuckton of vacation time, my position is relatively secure), but another part of me was really annoyed with him (because he knows I feel stifled and sometimes bored). ::le sigh::

The weather is beautiful here again today.  I dragged all my summer clothes into our room and my shoe bin where I switch out my shoes seasonally on Sunday, but I haven't done shit with it.  I need to buckle down and do the swap, but all I want to do is be outside with DefConn after we get done with homework.  

• @charlotte989875 Good luck on the runs! We're running the Ragnar Reach the Beach relay in September. 

@ShesSoCold Definitely the right call! 
  • @charlotte989875 Good luck on the runs! We're running the Ragnar Reach the Beach relay in September. 

That’s awesome!! That one looks super fun. We’re doing the Ragnar Great Midwest from Chicago to Madison. I’m runner 6 meaning I’ll do the Ragnar leg and the most miles (40.3)?! Eek. 
  • eileenrob said:
    That was the right call @ShesSoCold !

I'm peeved because the car needs the struts (I think?  Maybe shocks?) replaced and it's going to cost a bit over $2,000.  This was at Pep Boys so I decided to open up a credit card and charge it.  I have $200/mo to pay off before the interest kicks in but I kind of/don't really have the entire sum.  Or like not for struts.  I was approved for the card, it came last week with a letter saying "do not use until you receive a letter regarding your line of credit of $1500".  Okay.  The letter came yesterday saying I wasn't approved for the credit line.  Any questions please write to us at this address.  No phone number or email.  So I wrote and mailed them a letter this morning but is this a thing?  You're approved for a credit card but with no credit line?  Please share.  (FWIW my credit scores are 812 with Transunion and 830 at Equifax.)
    Is there a phone # on the back of the card you received? I'd call that and see

That’s awesome!! That one looks super fun. We’re doing the Ragnar Great Midwest from Chicago to Madison. I’m runner 6 meaning I’ll do the Ragnar leg and the most miles (40.3)?! Eek. 
    H's family has done it a few times and keep going back because they love it. And that's awesome that you're doing it as a 6 person team! We do it as a team of 12. After training for the marathon in May, I don't know if I could do another intense training schedule to be part of a 6 person relay team. 

H's family has done it a few times and keep going back because they love it. And that's awesome that you're doing it as a 6 person team! We do it as a team of 12. After training for the marathon in May, I don't know if I could do another intense training schedule to be part of a 6 person relay team. 
    I did my only relay as a team of 6 and all I'd previously run was a 1/2. I never did any super long runs like with marathon training but rather did some days of multiple runs per day to be more used to running on tired legs. I think if I ever did a relay again it would need to be a team of 6 because it just seems like sooooo much waiting between runs otherwise. 
  • kvruns said:
    @charlotte989875 Good luck on the runs! We're running the Ragnar Reach the Beach relay in September. 

I did my only relay as a team of 6 and all I'd previously run was a 1/2. I never did any super long runs like with marathon training but rather did some days of multiple runs per day to be more used to running on tired legs. I think if I ever did a relay again it would need to be a team of 6 because it just seems like sooooo much waiting between runs otherwise. 
    That was really my only complaint with the first relay I did a year and a half ago. There was SO much down time between legs, especially because H's family is all about the experience and not about time (ie, they always come in last at these races).

This is my first one! Although half of my team has done it before. We’re all running the Glass City Marathon as our taper for the race April 28 so I think (hope!) the training will have worked out where that’s the max mileage before the relay. I think the because the training is sort of doubled up it doesn’t seem as bad. Although I’m just starting two a days so we’ll see!
  • Morning.  I'm sore/tired.  I started a running program, which I've done before and I do like.  But man, am I ever out of shape.  And at 42, it's just harder than it has been previously.  But, I've got a good support network, so I'm pushing through it.

K is in a bad spot with school right now.  And there's an safe answer out of the situation (the other answer is risky AF and involves them getting a specific grade on a specific test and if they don't, flunking out of their program entirely) and they're not taking it.  They're an adult, it's their education/career, and we're not married.  I'm also just like, "Stop fucking around."  IDK.  They're meeting with their adviser today, to get all options on the table and make a decision.

Other than that, SSDD.  It's finally spring time here and I'm loving it.  I've already been looking for spring floats.  I think we might do an early May one on a part of one of the rivers that I've always wanted to see, but has to be done early spring when the specific spring that feeds it is still going strong.
  • @eileenrob, sorry to hear about the spendy car repair.  Did they approve you right away at Pep Boys and already charge the repair to the card?  It seems like those store cards usually have an immediate decision.  But, yeah, that whole things sounds weird.  Especially considering your awesome credit scores.  I'd try to find their credit card customer service number online and call.

@charlotte989875, 40.3 miles, whoa!  You are the bomb! :)  Good luck with your training.

I hate grocery shopping during the week, but I must today when I get off work.  It's a busy day at work, but a good day.  Straight forward stuff that I enjoy doing.  At least relatively speaking, lol.  After the whirlwind I've had the last couple weeks, it's a bit surreal to not have much going on right now, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was able to finish another paper last night so I think I’ll be free to see bff today. She’s here until Thursday but I’m booked the rest of the week so this is the last day I’d be able to see her. I am feeling exhausted. Like, can’t keep my eyes open exhausted. I was actually feeling like I had energy for awhile so to be hit with this fatigue again is just frustrating. I’m not really sure what changed. I also have to go to work today to get some stuff out of the way but at least it won’t take long. I’m just trying to make it through to Sunday for GOT. 

• levioosa said:
    I was able to finish another paper last night so I think I’ll be free to see bff today. She’s here until Thursday but I’m booked the rest of the week so this is the last day I’d be able to see her. I am feeling exhausted. Like, can’t keep my eyes open exhausted. I was actually feeling like I had energy for awhile so to be hit with this fatigue again is just frustrating. I’m not really sure what changed. I also have to go to work today to get some stuff out of the way but at least it won’t take long. I’m just trying to make it through to Sunday for GOT. 
    YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! DH and I are so excited.  I am very, very tempted to buy the GOT Oreos and wine for our Sunday celebration. 
  • All you runners... i bow down to you! 

Everyone keeps on telling me I’d love GOT, but I started the series twice and never had any desire to continue watching.   I usually workout to something light and funny but maybe I could knock out an episode each morning in my workout room? Hmmm.

• VarunaTT said:
    Morning.  I'm sore/tired.  I started a running program, which I've done before and I do like.  But man, am I ever out of shape.  And at 42, it's just harder than it has been previously.  But, I've got a good support network, so I'm pushing through it.

K is in a bad spot with school right now.  And there's an safe answer out of the situation (the other answer is risky AF and involves them getting a specific grade on a specific test and if they don't, flunking out of their program entirely) and they're not taking it.  They're an adult, it's their education/career, and we're not married.  I'm also just like, "Stop fucking around."  IDK.  They're meeting with their adviser today, to get all options on the table and make a decision.

Other than that, SSDD.  It's finally spring time here and I'm loving it.  I've already been looking for spring floats.  I think we might do an early May one on a part of one of the rivers that I've always wanted to see, but has to be done early spring when the specific spring that feeds it is still going strong.
    The first 3 weeks of any running program or training program I’ve ever done I felt like I’ve never run before and wanted to stop after every 3 steps (I still feel like that sometimes). Great job pushing through!!

Hopefully K can have a good talk with their advisor today. When I worked with students it was sometimes easier for them to see the obvious/easiest path forward talking with faculty/advisors than with people in their lives. Sometimes it’s the reassurance that their not the only one who has to make changes to their academic/career plan or take a step back from people who have worked with lots of students that works. Hoping for some good options!
  • VarunaTT said:
    Morning.  I'm sore/tired.  I started a running program, which I've done before and I do like.  But man, am I ever out of shape.  And at 42, it's just harder than it has been previously.  But, I've got a good support network, so I'm pushing through it.

The first 3 weeks of any running program or training program I’ve ever done I felt like I’ve never run before and wanted to stop after every 3 steps (I still feel like that sometimes). Great job pushing through!!

Hopefully K can have a good talk with their advisor today. When I worked with students it was sometimes easier for them to see the obvious/easiest path forward talking with faculty/advisors than with people in their lives. Sometimes it’s the reassurance that their not the only one who has to make changes to their academic/career plan or take a step back from people who have worked with lots of students that works. Hoping for some good options!
    Thanks re: running.  I've never loved and I'm probably never going to love running, but it's such effective cardio and I do want to be strong again.

I'm mad that whatever spellcheck is happening doesn't recognize advisor vs. adviser.  I have tried to point out that nearly everyone I've ever known had to take extra time to graduate (including me).  There's some baggage in this situation for them, and I'm trying really hard to both be empathetic and just stay out of it unless asked.  I feel like with the age difference I have to work hard to make sure to only give advice when asked and not pressure them into decisions.  I'm not their mother and I don't want to be.  However, I have made clear that I do not want to be with another perpetual college student.  I'm really not sure I have 2 more years of school in me.  I'm ready to live my life not under an academic schedule for the first time ever.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    M2 is home sick today. Max is a whiny butthead because we can’t do anything. I want a nap 
  • Hi All! I feel like it’s been a while but maybe it hasn’t. The calendar in my head has been all messed up for a while. 

You runners are crazy/ impressive. Do you do it for the abs? I have always wanted to have runner’s abs but I am not that fond of running, lol.

Eileen, sorry to hear about your strut/ pep boys problems. I hope you can get it all sorted soon.

Varuna, I hope K takes you into consideration when they decide how to move forward.

Our month of craziness is finally over and now I am ready to get back to business, just in time for Ramadan, lol. (I only laugh because Ramadan flips everything on its head). Is it too early in life to look forward to retirement? 
  • Hi All! I feel like it’s been a while but maybe it hasn’t. The calendar in my head has been all messed up for a while. 

You runners are crazy/ impressive. Do you do it for the abs? I have always wanted to have runner’s abs but I am not that fond of running, lol.

Eileen, sorry to hear about your strut/ pep boys problems. I hope you can get it all sorted soon.

Varuna, I hope K takes you into consideration when they decide how to move forward.

Our month of craziness is finally over and now I am ready to get back to business, just in time for Ramadan, lol. (I only laugh because Ramadan flips everything on its head). Is it too early in life to look forward to retirement? 
    Never!

FIRE is my mantra!  (Financial Independence, Retire Early)

Thanks for the heads up on Ramadan.  I looked it up.  The last day is June 3rd this year and I notated that in my calendar.  My Indonesian vendors have a holiday week (I think) when it ends.  Some years it catches me unaware, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:

Honestly, I have always found it to be the most effective cardio exercise for both strength, cardio workout, and weight loss than anything else.  I love being outside, so if I can trail run, it's really my preference.  If I'm on the treadmill, it's a lot harder, but I try and throw on new or really loved intense television episodes on Netflix to entertain my brain.  I am really interested in rowing though, just b/c I think I'd like it and I like the idea of an upper body workout at the same time.

I was reading an article the other day that said to stop all the trying to uplift nonsense and just approach exercise like work.  You have to do it b/c you're not independently wealthy and you work for the benefits that help you live.  And I was like..I can think like that.  I'm not good when people are like, DON'T YOU FEEL GREAT?!?!  YOU'RE TAKING CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE, and all of that positive stuff.  It makes me just want to commit physical violence against the trainer.  But more reality based like...I don't want to pass young (I've got a much younger partner to keep up with :D), I don't want to find myself terribly limited in my older years, and I don't want to be on a bunch of meds and crap like that?  More motivating to me than, YOU'LL FEEL SO GREAT!! YOU'LL LOVE YOUR BODY, etc.
    This is exactly my mantra. I prefer to work out in the morning before work to get it out of the way. At least once a month someone will comment and say something like "you must really love working out to get up early to go." No, I don't love exercise. I don't even like it. I'm just trying not to die at 45. You get up early and go to work, but I'm betting it's not because you love it so much. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You runners are all amazing!
    The customer service line said they didn't know anything about the credit line denial...I'm dropping the car off tomorrow after I drop the kids at school but before i go into work (I specifically go to this particular Pep Boys bc it's a few blocks from my school...hoping they can complete the job in six hours).  Yes @charlotte989875 my credit report was pulled.  @mrsconn23 if you get the GoT oreos buy an extra pack and send them my way, the two supermarkets I checked didn't have them.  I haven't indulged in oreos at 9pm in a long time but that's exactly the kind of leniency I give myself...GoT oreos for the premier...lol
  • edited April 2019
    Ugh. Eight emergency filings today, and after work I went to a rather heated discussion of the Green New Deal. Then when I got home, there was a nasty note from our new downstairs neighbor about something we have no control over. *Then* DW wanted to talk about life insurance and survivors benefits. She’s having breast augmentation in June and wants to make sure that if something happens to her during or after surgery, I’ll be OK. We did need to talk about that but a) she knew my day sucked and chose to have that conversation tonight anyway b) now I’m freaked out that something is going to happen to her, even though the risk is really low. 

Oh, and it turns out Lady is a barker and likes to pick on Mutt. *And* as if everything else isn’t enough, I’m premenstrual.

I took melatonin with my meds and am now waiting for it to kick in while DW watches SportsCenter. I’m thinking I’m just going to head to bed and hope tomorrow is better.
  • Agree that all of you runners are amazing! I've tried - so many times - to be a runner. I've started Couch to 5k probably 6 times. I always hit a wall. But sign me up any day for a 6 mile hike, or a day of heavy lifting. That's what I truly love. 
  • @OurWildKingdom, I'm so sorry to hear how bad your day was.  I hope today is a MUCH better one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Varuna, that's EXACTLY how I look at working out. I do it because I *have* to if I want to look a certain way. Just like I work so I can afford a certain lifestyle. So I do. IDK why but it's irrationally annoying to me when people insist that I must love it. Nope. I don't love laundry or flossing or working either, but I manage to get that shit done too. This is just another one of those things. 

I have GOT to get back off my ass though. It's been MONTHS. I have no idea what happened. I was working out 5-9X a week for like 2.5 years and then BAM. IDK what happened but I haven't done a video or stepped on my elliptical since like October. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever