Wedding Woes
Options

We made it!

Happy Friday everyone!  So far a normal day at work.  The annual student vs. faculty charity dodgeball game is after school today- I'm going to run to my kids' school, pick them up and bring them back.  They like watching events in the "big gym" and my students enjoy seeing faculty members' kids, so win-win.  Our first Mets game of the season is tomorrow- yay!

@short+sassy how'd the interview go?

Re: We made it!

• Options
    Work today. I just have to make it through until tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly today. 

I hope the interview went well @short+sassy!

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2019
    Yeah need interview updates!

this week went way faster then last week.  And I’m OK with that. Miranda released her Roadside Bars & Pink Guitars tour dates today and both Elle King and Maren Morris are in it!  The catch?  They don't play the same concerts together so now I gotta figure out who I like more.  Or go with the closest one to me but it’s on a Thursday night 👎🏻

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/3373268002

• Options
    Awesome @climbingwife.  That totally deserves new hairs! 

• Options
  • Options
    @short+sassy

I would send the thank you through the mail. Today is the last day of the work week so they might not get that contact form anyways, and who knows who reads those. Snail mail isn’t ideal, but it’s a nice personal touch. If there is another candidate with similar qualities it might be enough to give you an extra advantage. 

• Options
    Thanks for asking!  I think it went really well!  There were a few things I wish I'd answered better...thought of better ways to answer/phrase it after the fact...but I think that's always true for any interview, lol.

The interview was with two people at the same time.  The owner was personable and I felt we connected.  The other person was harder to read and I didn't feel I made a connection with him, though it at least didn't feel negative.  But he was like that from the beginning, so I'm hoping that is just more his personality and not something about me.  This is a new position in the company and I would basically be taking some of the load off of that person.

There are only five people who work in the office and they had an extensive job description, so I knew going in that a lot of what they are looking for is someone who will fit in and can think on their feet and figure out how to overcome obstacles.  I think they value those qualities, even over experience.  Though obviously experience is a bonus.  Because in real estate development, it is a lot of moving parts and this job is keeping track of and controlling many of those parts.

They had some non-interview type questions that were specifically related to real estate.  And asked them while they were in the middle of talking about aspects of the job, ie interrupting themselves.  So they were surprising because I wasn't expecting to be suddenly asked a question in the middle of what they were saying, lol.  Despite that, I NAILED them, so I felt awesome about that, lol.

In summary, I'm pretty sure I proved myself to be capable of doing the work and excelling at it. BUT, what I obviously can't control is the kind of experience other candidates might have.  If someone else comes in and also fits in and demonstrates their problem solving abilities AND already has experience in real estate development, I'd hire that person over myself also.  So I'm crossing my fingers none of the other candidates are like that, lol.

Some (hopefully) good signs.  The interview was over an hour long.  At the end of the interview, while we are all shaking hands again, the owner literally told me, "Good job!"  Throughout the interview, they kept phrasing things with "you would be responsible for this" and "you would be the one taking care of that".  While I do think that is the natural way to phrase things no matter who they are talking to, I'm still chalking up that "assumptive" phrasing to being at least a small good sign, lol.

Question for everyone about interview thank you letters.  Normally, I e-mail a thank-you letter to the people I've interviewed with.  But neither of those people have an e-mail address listed on the website and neither one gave me a card, so I don't know their specific e-mail addresses.  However, there is a contact form on the website that I'm sure I could send it through.

Should I do that or send an old-school letter through the mail?  I know they are doing interviews through Monday so, if I mailed it today, they'd probably receive it on Mon. or Tues.  

I always always send a mailed thank you either the day of or day after.  I've done probably 100 interviews over the last 5 years (full-time MBA program, we have to do a lot) and it was well-received every time.  It stands a out a little more than email - people already get too much of that!  I'm so glad you feel it went well!

I am peacing out of here as early as I can - I'm exhausted.  I had an alumni event in the city last night and missed the train I planned on taking so I didn't get home til almost midnight.  Then I had a 6:30am dr. appointment where I had the worst lab tech ever.

She couldn't find a vein but she inserted the needle partway and then just rooted around for about 5 minutes.  She asked if this was typical and I told her I had never had problems before.  Then she tried the other arm, then the first arm again.  Then instead of excusing herself to find someone for help she screamed for someone.  A nurse came running thinking I was fainting.  Then the lab tech kind of stormed out and said something like "I can't find a vein, and when she's sitting here telling me no one else had a problem it just makes me feel like a really shitty person". The nurse was super apologetic and had the draw finished in about 90 seconds.  I'm sure the lab tech is new, but omg it was so uncomfortable. 

I'm ready to go back to bed.

• Options
    That's awesome @short+sassy! Sounds like you rocked it. 
  • Options
    @short+sassy, that sounds like it went amazing, congrats!

@Casadena, well, you handled that so much better than I would.  I am not good at having my blood drawn, so I always tell the tech to get the best person b/c I'm a "get one try and if you miss it, I come back tomorrow" type person.  I don't faint or anything, I just really don't like it.

I am so unmotivated at work, it's unreal.  I think I've got a combination of "you're eating healthy and now you're running" tired body.  Which is fine and not unexpected, but I am sleepy and don't want to focus on anything.  I'm going to try and relax this weekend and rest up.  K has roller derby out of town, but will drive up and back on Saturday.  I don't really have any plans for the weekend beyond sitting on my butt.
  • Options
    I’m counting down the minutes until I can leave. I still can’t kick this cold and it sucks. I just want to sleep. I have one meeting at 3 and I’m going to try and leave right after. 

Congrats @short+sassy, it sounds like it went well!!
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Long week and long weekend- 8 games and gymnastics. Yikes. 
  • Options
    It is office cleanout day for most of the office undergoing renovation (not my desk though). I'm coming home with 2 desk chairs and about 10 reams of card stock to donate to daycare LOL. Some people are taking home file cabinets too but I don't need those. I do have my eye on an adjustable desk thing someone had (she was let go last week) so I want to see if that is up for grabs to use at my new desk #scavenger
  • Options
    Great news on your interview, @short+sassy!!!

Not much up for this weekend other than a mani/pedi with some friends on Sunday. 

I started watching Lovesick on Netflix so I might binge more of that tonight after Babypants goes to bed. 

Trying to use telepathy to convince Mr. Pants that we should get pizza for dinner. 
  • Options
    I was thinking about you @drunkenwitch, but was going to ask Monday if you were MIA.  Very nice!  Talent for sure! 
    If it helps any, @sparklepants41, today is national deep dish pizza day.  But it may not be as readily available as it is here

• Options
    I really like that, @drunkenwitch! What medium did your friend use?
  • Options
    I really like that, @drunkenwitch! What medium did your friend use?
    Water colors for that one.