Wedding Woes

OK, so he's a jerk...but you didn't tell him why your sister is living with you?

Dear Prudence,

My 19-year-old half-sister is currently living with me. Her mother basically drove my sister into a mental breakdown with her unrealistic expectations and forced activities. Once she reached college, my sister realized she hated her major, her life, and herself. She was clinically depressed and borderline suicidal. Her mother told her that she was “weak and useless” and cut her off financially (our father had left us money but only for college, nothing we could use to support ourselves). I offered to take her in for a year, all expenses paid, so she could catch her breath. I have a master’s degree and a great job; one teenager isn’t going to break my budget.

My boyfriend makes “mooch” jokes around my sister, and it has spread to our circle of friends. Despite my warning him to lay off, it still comes up. I don’t want to reveal what actually is going on with my sister and her mental health, but I don’t know how to express how important it is to drop this joke. Last time, I snapped and told my boyfriend to shut up and that he wasn’t funny. It killed the entire mood and affected my sister badly. She doesn’t have any friends yet and spends most of her time volunteering at an animal shelter or with me. How do I get this across to everyone?

—Not a Mooch

Re: OK, so he's a jerk...but you didn't tell him why your sister is living with you?

• I wonder how old their relationship is?  If he's a newer BF, I can see not letting him in on the intimate details.  Realistically, even if he's not newer, LW doesn't need to let him in on details.  I think the only time it might be required is if they're living together and it doesn't sound like they are.

BF needs a STFU card, badly.  I'd also F/U with my friends and ask them to not make fun of her, there are reasons behind this move and it's a sensitive time.  And if BF can't get in line with LW asking him not to make fun of her sister?  BF can move the eff along.
  • "BF, this is why sis is living with me.   Here are the reasons.   She isn't a mooch.   Can we agree that even if you disagree with me that if you keep calling her this it's not respecting me?" 

If BF can't agree to this then I'd say you may be dating someone like your step mother. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2019
    At the best, he doesn't have social graces and/or know when the joke has run out.  At the worst, he's an asshole. 

I agree that LW doesn't have to tell him the nitty-gritty...or anything at all. However LW could say, "There have been some issues in my family, specifically between my mom and my sister.  It's not my place to get into the details, but this is a painful time and I'm doing what I can to help her out.  Please don't joke about it as it's a difficult situation."  You can keep details private, but explain a decision. 

The BF's jokes make me wonder if LW's is really being completely aboveboard or if LW has let off steam about housing and supporting a 19 year old (which I can understand!) and the BF took this as an opening to be a goof.  It doesn't seem that BF lives with LW, so I wonder if he wants to and this situation is preventing their relationship from moving to the next step?  Or he's just a giant prick and LW needs to drop his ass. 
  • Red flags anyone on this "Boyfriend"???  

Sister can stay as long as she's adhering to the agreement while getting herself situated, boyfriend needs to go yesterday, that's just emotional abuse waiting to happen if that relationship progressed...
  • Boyfriend is a grade A asshole. Settimg aside whether or not LW needs to tell him details, he was told " your jokes aren't funny, they are hurting my sister, please stop". Instead he doubled with the comments and started stirring the pot with their friends. He's a fucking asshole with no respect for LW or her sister. If he was legitimately concerned he would have had a private adult discussion with her.
    This. Boyfriend shouldn't have to know all the details about what's going on with the sister to be respectful. It should be enough for him to know that the sister is clearly important to LW and that she doesn't want her sister to be hurt further. The fact that he's got their friends in on this now is especially disturbing to me. 

If I were LW, I'd break up with his sorry ass.
  • edited April 2019
    LW needs to kick BF to the curb and apologize to their sister for allowing BF’s behavior to continue. They also need to have a come-to-Higher-Power talk with the “friends” who participated in the bullying.