Wedding Woes

Use your filtering options?

Dear Prudence,

About 15 years ago I found out that I have a half-brother who is only six months younger than me. An angry uncle blurted it out during a family squabble. I insisted on meeting him, and we have kept in touch over the years through social media and the occasional letter. It has also brought my mom and me closer together, since I now understand more about why she divorced my father. It was over 40 years ago, but my father still seems very cavalier about how the situation has affected other people in the family. My brother lost time with his grandparents, brothers, sisters, and other loved ones because of my father’s disappearance. My dad went on to have two children with his second wife; they are both about 15 years younger than me. While my stepmother knows about my brother, my half-siblings still don’t know he exists. My father and stepmother are no longer together, but I’m still close with her. I often want to share things on Facebook that have to do with my “secret brother,” like wishing him or his son a happy birthday, but I stop in fear that my other half-siblings will see and question who he is. I was told not to tell them when I first found out, and I’m positive they still don’t know about him. I’m also concerned that this may come up after my dad passes—and they’ll get angry I never told them. I’m really stuck. I feel like he must think he is the black sheep of the family.

—Secret Brother

Re: Use your filtering options?

• Talk to your brother?  Ask him how he feels about all of this?? 

At this point I'd use my filter around those who aren't dicks.    So if dad's not understanding the severity of his actions my desire to hold my tongue around him is less.   But if I think this could hurt other siblings, the younger brother or the step mom who has other kids I'd consider whether to talk about this and if so, how delicately.  

Also, in all of this you need to think "What is the benefit or the detriment of this coming out?"   If it's to look like a reporter who blew the lid off a story then you probably have your answer that no good will come of saying something just to make someone else look bad. 
  • This is so close to home. I had a secret brother and I hate how I handled the whole thing. We were 2 years apart and I didn't find out until I was about 12. My half sister didn't until she was about 17, and after talking with him he didn't know until he was in his 20's. I only asked my dad about it once before he died and he said the mother had a boyfriend that wanted to marry her and raise the baby but only if my dad stayed away. I don't think him doing so was right, and wish I had pushed it more. He told me that he occasionaly bought things for him and talked to the mom. We all live in the same small town.

When my dad died in the line of duty it was a big deal, lots of news coverage and I didnt contact the brother at all, at that point we'd never talked and I was having some serious health issues. The mom came to the funeral, I had a few relatives point her out to me, she didn't bring him or tell him she was coming. After we started talking some he expressed how badly he wanted to come but was afraid we would be mad, that was not the case at all and I wish I'd contacted him.

A few months later I had to have triple bypass surgery, and 3 days after it he had a major heart attack and the same surgery. Its an inherited gene from our dad. We talked off and on after that but never really connected. He had a lot of heart damage and spent the last 20 years in poor health. He hid his limited contact with us from his mom. He died a few weeks ago and my sister and I were not listed as family and his mom made it known we couldn't attend. I have huge regrets about it all. I would advise writer to let her siblings know, and to post all she wants!
  • @pegasuskat, I'm so sorry to hear that.

If it were me, I'd try to have one more talk with my dad and stepmom.  That they really need to let their kids know, so they don't have the rug swept out from under them one day, like what happened to me.  Like the old adage, "if more than two people know, it's not a secret" and it sounds like there are a whole LOT of people who know about this half-sibling.

If they still didn't agree, I'd give them a heads up that it's their secret to keep.  Not mine.  In that, I won't bring it up to my other half-siblings, but I'm not going to lie to them if they ask either.  And I'm also not going to hide, via social media, my association with this person.  Though probably wouldn't refer to him as my brother.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker