Wedding Woes

Not making it a memorial service

Hi all. I'll cut right to it. My Dad passed away from a sudden heart attack so will not be at my wedding. My Dad was the glue of our family and as the only girl out of four children, I was very close to him. As I plan my wedding I am realizing how hard it is to think of not having him there to walk me down the aisle, dance with me, plan with my Mom and I, etc. For the ceremony my two older brothers will be walking me down the aisle and a poem will be read in his honor. The thing I go back and forth on is the "father daughter dance." My mom would like me to do a dance with my three brothers, an idea that I truly love. However, the song we initially envisioned ("To Where You Are" by Josh Groban) is so freakin' sad. My sister in law pointed out that the day is going to be hard enough as it is without him there so a different song might be better. I was wondering if any of you have gone through something similar and what you did instead. I do want to do the song with my brothers but was thinking something more along the lines of "Lean on Me" or "What a Wonderful World." Thank you! 

Re: Not making it a memorial service

• I am so very sorry for your loss. I think Lean on Me and What a Wonderful World are great options. Best wishes.
  • I’m so sorry about your dad! I think the dance with your brothers is a lovely idea. “Lean On Me” is my first choice.
  • FIL had passed before I even met my H.  So it had been around 8 years, he was gone, by the time we married.  We kept everything very subtle, especially since MIL is still very fragile about her loss.  There was a special bouquet at the church to represent FIL and our grandparents, but only we knew what they were for.  We did the wedding day photos too.  At the point in mass when they pray the intersessions, we did have one specific to FIL - if that is something you would be interested in.  We also mentioned our lost loved ones in the program.

My cousin was married last fall and lost his mom about 6 months before.  I think they were going to skip a mother/son dance, but the bride did a dance with her mom instead of FOB or SFOB.  At one point, MOB called over my cousin for a dance and it was a very beautiful moment.

As for you, since 2 brothers are walking you in, maybe the third can do the dance with you.  It might make it flow a bit better?  I like Lean on Me out of your two choices.  Other possibilities: You've Got a Friend by James Taylor, Brothers & Sisters by Coldplay, I Don't Have to Change by John Legend, In My Life by The Beatles and Long & Winding Road by The Beatles

Lastly, I would carefully consider the poem that will be recited as well.  It could go exactly as the Josh Groban song might.

After the wedding, I would also recommend going to visit your dad's resting place and leaving your bouquet.

• FIL had passed before I even met my H.  So it had been around 8 years, he was gone, by the time we married.  We kept everything very subtle, especially since MIL is still very fragile about her loss.  There was a special bouquet at the church to represent FIL and our grandparents, but only we knew what they were for.  We did the wedding day photos too.  At the point in mass when they pray the intersessions, we did have one specific to FIL - if that is something you would be interested in.  We also mentioned our lost loved ones in the program.

My cousin was married last fall and lost his mom about 6 months before.  I think they were going to skip a mother/son dance, but the bride did a dance with her mom instead of FOB or SFOB.  At one point, MOB called over my cousin for a dance and it was a very beautiful moment.

As for you, since 2 brothers are walking you in, maybe the third can do the dance with you.  It might make it flow a bit better?  I like Lean on Me out of your two choices.  Other possibilities: You've Got a Friend by James Taylor, Brothers & Sisters by Coldplay, I Don't Have to Change by John Legend, In My Life by The Beatles and Long & Winding Road by The Beatles

Lastly, I would carefully consider the poem that will be recited as well.  It could go exactly as the Josh Groban song might.

After the wedding, I would also recommend going to visit your dad's resting place and leaving your bouquet.

I would NOT recommend doing this part - reason being my family is involved in the care of our local cemeteries for decades now...  While it's "nice" to think about having done something like that out there... my uncle had a saying "Take the flowers with you - they are expensive and just make work for the mowers!" (often they have wires in them, the ribbon and other components blow in the wind, and ultimately it becomes something like a piece of litter out there that someone else has to go clean up..  It's another thing to do something more formal like planters that are pretty much put out for the season and stay put, but things like flowers, take them home and enjoy them, or take them to a nursing home for the residents to enjoy.  No one is going to enjoy them at the cemetery!
  • Thank you guys for all of the replies; I truly appreciate the input! My younger brother is serving as my Man of Honor and I do not want to leave him out of an important dance/it's important that all three of my brothers share this with me. Since we are getting married Father's Day Weekend and in my hometown, my siblings and I were going to visit my Dad's grave on Father's Day so I might not leave the entire bouquet (a friend wants to frame some of it for us as one of their wedding gifts) but might leave some part of it. 

I do also love the idea of having a private conversation with my Dad before the wedding (possibly a day or two before) in order to get out all that emotion and sort of welcome it, so thank you for letting me know what you did there! 
  • Thank you guys for all of the replies; I truly appreciate the input! My younger brother is serving as my Man of Honor and I do not want to leave him out of an important dance/it's important that all three of my brothers share this with me. Since we are getting married Father's Day Weekend and in my hometown, my siblings and I were going to visit my Dad's grave on Father's Day so I might not leave the entire bouquet (a friend wants to frame some of it for us as one of their wedding gifts) but might leave some part of it. 

I do also love the idea of having a private conversation with my Dad before the wedding (possibly a day or two before) in order to get out all that emotion and sort of welcome it, so thank you for letting me know what you did there! 
    Talk to your florist as they can design your bouquet to have a part that is organic (no wires nor ribbon) that will be able to detach to leave there without impacting how it dries for the framing...