Wedding Woes

Thurzz

Happy Prudie Day!  How's everyone? Normal day planned over here.  My favorite show took an interesting twist last night, can't wait til next week.  My next favorite show has to be a Nteflix original or something where I can just stream the whole thing at once, I can't take the waiting..

Re: Thurzz

• Jstump2Jstump2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    eileenrob I am curious what are the shows?

Normal day at the office for me. H's anniversary gift came last night and I'm excited to give it to him. It's our 5 year anniversary in and we loosely follow the traditional gifts which is wood. I ordered a walnut cutting board on Etsy with our names and wedding date etched on it,
  • Happy Anniversary @Jstump2!

Pretty normal day here but it's my Friday which makes it good.  No big plans for tomorrow but I would like to take some clothes to a consignment shop I like and maybe browse for some summer shirts.  No big plans for the weekend either but I do need to nail down some Mother's Day plans with my Brother for next weekend.

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    What are you guys getting your moms for Mother's Day? I'm at a loss. I often do some sort of spending time together - lunch, movie, pedicure but I also feel like I do that every time so maybe I need to do something different. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Happy anniversary @Jstump2!  The cutting board sounds so nice!  The show is Jane the Virgin.  The first four seasons are already on Netflix, the fifth and final season is on network tv.
    @kvruns there's this painter I follow who does these pretty "a cardinal in your yard is a visitor from heaven" paintings on wood...it says something like that with a cardinal sitting in a birch tree.  My mom lost her closest sister in 2007 (she has lots of sisters but this aunt was her best friend), her nickname was Red Bird (she'd had red hair) and she planted a birch tree in my parents' yard, and the whole cardinal thing is something my mom believes.  So got her one of the paintings...it's safe to hang outdoors.  It's more thoughtful than my usual gift to my mom- a bottle of her favorite wine and a couple of good quality chocolate bars or those dark chocolate coconut almonds from Trader Joe's (also a gift she loves!).
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2019

@kvruns I got her a year long magazine subscription to a home design/decorating magazine I know she would like but would never ever spend money to buy for herself.  And cooking her dinner next Saturday!

Work is insanely busy the rest of the week.  Which makes it go fast but I am still tired.  I didn't sleep well last night because I knew I had to be at work at 6am.  I'm already looking forward to sleeping in (hopefully) on Saturday! 

• edited May 2019
    kvruns said:
    What are you guys getting your moms for Mother's Day? I'm at a loss. I often do some sort of spending time together - lunch, movie, pedicure but I also feel like I do that every time so maybe I need to do something different. 
    DW and I are going to cook brunch or lunch and clear out the garden that got neglected when my Oma got sick.

Edited to add: Happy anniversary @Jstump2

Edited once again: We’re either going to send flowers or a Jewish food care package to MIL.
  • @eileenrob - I get you on the TV marathons. I do that with a lot of my shows but the waiting sucks! 
    happy anniversary @Jstump2! That cutting board sounds like an amazing gift.

last night was my meet up and it actually turned out really good. I probably wont be going to panera again since it costed me $30 to rent the room.  Next meeting will be at a coffee shop again and we’ll deal with the noise, but I got some great travel ideas and I can’t wait to put some more meet ups on the board. Creating this meet up was a good idea IMO.

• Happy anniversary! @Jstump2

More organizing the house and trying to relax today. I still feel the same. Looking forward to Prudie. 

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2019
    My work computer is dumb and I've been fighting it all day.  Prudie soon. ;)

Yesterday was my day off.  I did some running around and then had a hair appt. My hair chick is so cool.  She let me leave to get DefConn off the bus and then come back to finish up and then she cut DefConn's hair too.  

Speaking of DefConn, he's sick.  :(  He was slightly feverish at 3am.  He's pretty stuffy, but his tonsils look good.  If he can't kick the fever by tomorrow, I guess I'll haul him in.  I'm worried it might be an ear infection if the fever won't stay gone.  I wonder if all the weather changes have messed up his sinuses.  

This weekend is going to be crazy.  DH has to work and then help his dad out with some stuff.  I'll be finishing up getting ready for vacay and making sure things are settled around here.  I mean, DH has it...but I'll stock the groceries and whatnot. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Happy anniversary @Jstump2!

I got my mom an inside out umbrella. I have one and love it. Dh got his mom a bracelet engraved with her mother’s handwriting. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @eileenrob - I get you on the TV marathons. I do that with a lot of my shows but the waiting sucks! 

last night was my meet up and it actually turned out really good. I probably wont be going to panera again since it costed me $30 to rent the room.  Next meeting will be at a coffee shop again and we’ll deal with the noise, but I got some great travel ideas and I can’t wait to put some more meet ups on the board. Creating this meet up was a good idea IMO.
    could you meet at panera but not rent a room? At least the ones around here there are always groups of retired people staying forever and chatting although that's usually in the mornings. Not sure if it is busy in the evenings or not
  • Jstump - Happy Anniversary!

MrsConn - Hope DefConn feels better - poor guy seems like he has been sick a lot lately :(

I was in a go, go, go mode all day yesterday, even if it was for easy things.  It was the first of the month, so I had to finish my monthly billing for April.  Then I had to leave to go to Philly to attend, literally a 5 minute meeting.  It took them longer to set up the WebEx for those attending electronically, than to have the actual meeting.  But it got me out of the office and I had lunch in the city too!  Once I got back to the office, had about an hour and a half until CPR training, which took me to the end of the day.  After that, it was yoga!

Today we are going to meet a potential dog, but like all the other ones, seems like we won't get her anyway due to DD.  But I still want to go in case this dog melts into a puddle at DDs feet!  Working with the rescue org is nice, but also frustrating.  Though we have had a similar issue with the shelter we used before, so I think we would have this problem anywhere.  We are very vigilant with DD and animals, but I understand the shelter/rescues don't necessarily know that by our applications.

MrsConn - Hope DefConn feels better - poor guy seems like he has been sick a lot lately :(

I was in a go, go, go mode all day yesterday, even if it was for easy things.  It was the first of the month, so I had to finish my monthly billing for April.  Then I had to leave to go to Philly to attend, literally a 5 minute meeting.  It took them longer to set up the WebEx for those attending electronically, than to have the actual meeting.  But it got me out of the office and I had lunch in the city too!  Once I got back to the office, had about an hour and a half until CPR training, which took me to the end of the day.  After that, it was yoga!

Today we are going to meet a potential dog, but like all the other ones, seems like we won't get her anyway due to DD.  But I still want to go in case this dog melts into a puddle at DDs feet!  Working with the rescue org is nice, but also frustrating.  Though we have had a similar issue with the shelter we used before, so I think we would have this problem anywhere.  We are very vigilant with DD and animals, but I understand the shelter/rescues don't necessarily know that by our applications.

What is the issue with dogs and DD?  Are shelters/rescues hesitant to put a dog in a home with a young child?

My dog Izzy is a bit scared of young children, roughly anyone under 6 or 7.  She's really not around them.  There were a couple initial incidents where we would run into a young child who, of course, wants to pet Izzy.  Normally Izzy loves people and are all over them to get pets and attention.  But, both times with the young children, she was subdued and looked unsure.  And then went behind my legs to try and "hide", lol.

After that happened twice, we now nicely curtail young children from petting or interacting with her.  She's never showed aggressive behavior to people, including in those instances, but I know fear can sometimes manifest into aggression for dogs so best to not even take any chances!  Plus, I don't want to subject her to something she is afraid of, even if it's just for a few minutes.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2019

Yeah, sinus and allergy issues run on both sides.  This yo-yoing weather has him all jacked up.  He had tons of ear infections as an infant and toddler (he ended up with tubes), so I have a feeling we're going to be fighting this battle for awhile. I'm going to talk to his doctor when I finally make his well-child checkup appt and see at what point he thinks we might need to see an ENT.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    soooo.... the direction of our club recommended 6let for a special keeper training camp. On one hand that’s awesome. On the other, shit, that’s $250! Which actually isn’t bad for a 9-4 camp but ugh. 
  • Not much here. Work has been crazy busy today (and will be tomorrow too) but at least it goes by fast! 

H is heading out fishing and to camp tomorrow and I plan on sleeping the entire weekend. I’ve got a few things around the house I want to do but other than that just sleeping and Netflix!

What is the issue with dogs and DD?  Are shelters/rescues hesitant to put a dog in a home with a young child?

My dog Izzy is a bit scared of young children, roughly anyone under 6 or 7.  She's really not around them.  There were a couple initial incidents where we would run into a young child who, of course, wants to pet Izzy.  Normally Izzy loves people and are all over them to get pets and attention.  But, both times with the young children, she was subdued and looked unsure.  And then went behind my legs to try and "hide", lol.

After that happened twice, we now nicely curtail young children from petting or interacting with her.  She's never showed aggressive behavior to people, including in those instances, but I know fear can sometimes manifest into aggression for dogs so best to not even take any chances!  Plus, I don't want to subject her to something she is afraid of, even if it's just for a few minutes.  

I think shelter/rescues are hesitant to put a dog in a house with a young child because they don't know if the dog will unintentionally harm a child.  There are lots of things a parent will look at their dog and kid and say - So cute!  Except the dog is giving warning signs that they aren't comfortable and they need the kid taken away from them.  Your Izzy's warning sign is to hide behind you, but not all dogs hide. 

H was bit by a dog when he was growing up, so maybe we are more "on top of things" than other parents might be.  We also know some of the warning signs for an uncomfortable dog - like their ears are back.  We also never have DD alone with Olive.  Olive is a very laid back and chill dog, but we still do not take the chance.  We can say this to a shelter/rescue, but, understandably, they don't take the parents word for it.

• kvruns said:
    @eileenrob - I get you on the TV marathons. I do that with a lot of my shows but the waiting sucks! 

could you meet at panera but not rent a room? At least the ones around here there are always groups of retired people staying forever and chatting although that's usually in the mornings. Not sure if it is busy in the evenings or not
    We could.  I was thinking that - but... I’m actually not a fan of panera.  I only booked them because someone mentioned the meeting room they had. I didn't know of the cost until I called and went with it anyway.  I don’t think you get a lot of food (and my stomach is 3/4th’s what it used to be) for your buck there and it’s just meh to begin with.  So I’ll probably do a coffee shop or search “haunted” restaurants (supposed haunted ones) that are on the quiet side.  I know of one but it’s loud and hard to hold a conversation.  Next month we’re meeting in a forest preserve with some eerie activity.  So that should be cool.