Snarky Brides

MAGA wedding (No, I am not making this up.)

Re: MAGA wedding (No, I am not making this up.)

• Well, @OurWildKingdom, now I really feel like I have seen it all! 

The aesthetic is incredibly tacky, but what I find even tackier is that they made their wedding theme something so divisive and emotionally charged. Honestly, even if it was a politician I supported (and Trump is certainly not one of those!), I would find it very uncomfortable.
  • I think this is exactly the point. They did it for attention. They knew it would get attention of local media at least, and hoped it would go viral and they'd get their 15 minutes of fame. I think that's what's in it for them. 

Don't be surprised if one of these losers gets a reality show or becomes a commentator on Faux News. 
  • Don’t even need to read the article to know that this is terrible. 
  • I just can't.
  • I almost threw up reading that they had an anti-abortion heart beat bill for their guests to sign. 

• The groom’s father had the only acceptable response to this charade. 
  • The point was to get married to the love of your life, right? This makes such a wonderful occasion into a circus. 
  • Fuck these 2 ... jeez
  • levioosa said:
    I almost threw up reading that they had an anti-abortion heart beat bill for their guests to sign. 
    At a previous company I worked for, they had some kind of anti-abortion letters about a bill in our break room for a few days.  They even sent a company-wide e-mail about it.  So I sadly can't even be that surprised.

I even self-reflected, "If these were letters about something I totally agreed with, would I still feel this horrified and appalled?"  Yes. Yes I would. This is so far beyond inappropriate for the workplace.  And, no, we weren't in any kind of industry related to the issue.

I complained to HR.  Only to find out it was the Big Guy who ran our 200-person office who had spearheaded it, smh.  She told me I wasn't the only person who complained.  She said she certainly wasn't going to specifically name anyone, but was going to pass it along to him that she'd gotten complaints and some employees were offended.  But with a resigned sigh, said there wasn't much more than that she could do.

FWIW, they still occasionally had letters in the breakroom for employees to sign that were always on the super pro-Republican side of various issues.  But that was the first and last time (at least for when I worked there) they sent a company-wide e-mail about them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good on you for speaking up, @short+sassy
  • Good on you for speaking up, @short+sassy
    Thx!  It's actually pretty funny, but they are totally gossiped about in the local engineering industry when their name comes up.  They have a definite religious slant to their workplace and are very proud of their "Christian values".  There were weekly Bible studies in one of the conference rooms during lunch and food was provided by the company, though I personally didn't side-eye that.  They had a monthly company-wide meeting that was always opened with a prayer.  Kinda side-eyed that, but not enough to complain.  Still, so weird.  

They are a big, local player in engineering for the oil and gas industry.  If you're in that world, everyone knows who they are and many people have worked for them at one time or another.

The other day, it came up with a project manager I recently started working with.  We were talking, in general, about "lunch and learns" and it's nice when there is leftover food that goes in the break room.  Without saying their name, I mentioned a company I had previously worked at that brought breakfast to everyone's desk on Tuesdays.  Until the price of oil tanked during the recession, projects started cancelling, they stopped the extra "goodies" and then the lay-offs started.  He said, "Was that XYZ company?"  I told him it was.  He joked, "Did they at least give you a Bible when you got laid off?" (They don't, he was joking).  But I knew exactly what he was talking about and we laughed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I couldn't quite put my finger on why her dress bothered me so much...aside from the message and the tackiness.  Because people can have different opinions than me and can be tacky if they wish, so that shouldn't bother me.

And then it hit me.  Because it's much more like a billboard, than a dress.  That's what I find the most "yuck" about it.

For example, the SPCA is an important cause for me and it makes me sad the sheer volume of unwanted cats and dogs in our world.  But I didn't have the words, "Spay and Neuter Your Pets" emblazoned across my wedding gown.
    That's a lot of my issue with this.

It's not that this is their political leaning.   I don't agree with it and I would probably not associate with people who were abrasively political in most aspects.  

But their wedding was turned into a rally rather than one for their union.   

It actually made me sad.   It was a political rally with a wedding inside it.  The wedding appears to be an after-thought rather than something seriously thought out with a concept of "til death do us part".  

If you want to be a Patriot and even a "Repubs 4 EVR" type then there are plenty of ways to do this without turning yourself into an advertisement.    

And they get to do this because it's their choice but makes me question how they view the rest of their lives together rather than the upcoming 2020 election. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    levioosa said:
    I almost threw up reading that they had an anti-abortion heart beat bill for their guests to sign. 
    At a previous company I worked for, they had some kind of anti-abortion letters about a bill in our break room for a few days.  They even sent a company-wide e-mail about it.  So I sadly can't even be that surprised.

I even self-reflected, "If these were letters about something I totally agreed with, would I still feel this horrified and appalled?"  Yes. Yes I would. This is so far beyond inappropriate for the workplace.  And, no, we weren't in any kind of industry related to the issue.

I complained to HR.  Only to find out it was the Big Guy who ran our 200-person office who had spearheaded it, smh.  She told me I wasn't the only person who complained.  She said she certainly wasn't going to specifically name anyone, but was going to pass it along to him that she'd gotten complaints and some employees were offended.  But with a resigned sigh, said there wasn't much more than that she could do.

FWIW, they still occasionally had letters in the breakroom for employees to sign that were always on the super pro-Republican side of various issues.  But that was the first and last time (at least for when I worked there) they sent a company-wide e-mail about them.
    This is how I try to keep myself in check.  There are things that, regardless of personal choice/preference/leanings....are just not appropriate in most workplaces.

@banana468, odds are that a couple that “diehard” may never change affiliations or views, so they may never realize what they did to their wedding, but I also had to wonder how that might impact them in the future.  My husband and I are not the same people we were 41 years ago when we married.  In general we have the same leanings, but have voted for different parties and points of view/issues over the years.  Lord help them as a couple  if one begins to view the world differently.
  • MobKaz said:

This is how I try to keep myself in check.  There are things that, regardless of personal choice/preference/leanings....are just not appropriate in most workplaces.

@banana468, odds are that a couple that “diehard” may never change affiliations or views, so they may never realize what they did to their wedding, but I also had to wonder how that might impact them in the future.  My husband and I are not the same people we were 41 years ago when we married.  In general we have the same leanings, but have voted for different parties and points of view/issues over the years.  Lord help them as a couple  if one begins to view the world differently.
    Not in the same way but, I was also thinking about their wedding pics in the future.  Assuming they have kids and then maybe grandkids down the line, those are going to be funny conversations...

"Mom/Grandma, why do you have words all over your wedding gown?  And what does 'Make America Great Again' even mean?"

We've all laughed a little, but with an understanding smile, of "dated" wedding attire pics from a particular era/decade.  But that's a really specific dated that even just the next generation isn't going to understand what it refers to.  I realize that isn't this couple's concern and nor should it be.  But picturing the confused expressions of future generations makes me laugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKaz said:
    levioosa said:

I guess I just looked at it as a "Is this what's going to encompass your lives?" 

So this is the CENTER of their union?  It makes me said if this is what encompasses it.