Wedding Woes

Monday Monday...

How was everyone's weekend? 

Friday night I went out to see my brother's band. They were actually really good. Saturday morning I had a hair appointment. And after that, I did not leave the house all weekend. I cleaned, caught up on laundry, watched TV. It was perfect. 

Unfortunately there was a local fireworks show that STARTED at 11pm and went on for 30 mins. I could not get back to sleep. 

Re: Monday Monday...

• It STARTED at 11pm? I would have been so annoyed and unable to go back to sleep as well!

Weekend was great - HOT (heat index of 114) - but great. Lots of time at the pool and Babypants had a BLAST. She kept saying "super fun" all weekend. 

One of the rooftop AC units at my work died over the weekend. As a result, parts of our building are cool and comfortable. And other parts - like the floor where my office is - are hot and muggy. The thermostat in my office is saying it's 80 degrees in here. It's gross. I would love to leave to go WFH, but no one else is doing that either so I guess I will tough it out. What sucks the most is that I am dressed for our typical frigid indoor temperatures. Really regretting that I am wearing pants and not a dress. 
  • Mondays. Fuck.

Weekend was good, but hot. We chilled inside Saturday. BabyKitten didn't wanna take a nap, so that was great .... at least I got stuff done. 2 loads of laundry, table cleaned, M got to work on his computer he's building so that helped clear stuff up, and I got vacuuming done minus the rug by the couch.

She had a rough night. Molars are mean and I just want this to break :(

Sunday we were pretty busy. M's grampa is moving Sept 1st so he's trying to downsize stuff. SIL and I just watched/played with BabyKitten while BIL, M and sFIL did stuff.
    She napped in the car on the way home but woke up A BLOCK AWAY FROM THE HOUSE!! Fuck.

Bed time started great, then 45min later she started screaming. Again, teeth. Calmed her a bit, but she kept grabbing her mouth so we opted for Motrin.

Daycare is closed for 3 weeks, so my mum has her this week, I'm off next week and M is taking the week after. Should be good.
  • @climbingwife wtf ... who starts fireworks at 11pm!?

@sparklepants41 lol "super fun" :D 
  • We had house guests this weekend who came with their dog and it was a great time.   Friday we went out as grown ups on the boat and out to dinner.   Saturday we chilled out inside as long as possible and then went to our town celebration day.   Kiddos went to the carnival and had cotton candy and then we headed to the marina and watched fireworks. 

Sunday we relaxed and had pool time later.   Today the weather is iffy so I think we're in store for a night at home. 
  • 11:00 fireworks?  No no no!  That’s 10:00 my time (central) and still too late lol!

Friday we tried to see Lion King.  I got to the theatre - opened up my app only to find I DIDN’T purchase the ticket like I thought I had - so we went to another showing instead since it was sold out - but I was getting a stomach ache and left 15 minutes in (we have an unlimited pass so no money lost).  We ended up seeing it last night instead.  Saturday was paranormal cirque and I couldn’t have been more disappointed.  They did WAY to many audience pulls and it was not funny or entertaining to me.  I couldn’t even hear half of what was going on. We left at intermission.  Apparently there was another 1/2 hr or so left but I was so underwhelmed and hungry I just wanted to leave.

guys - on Saturday I got my brows microbladed and I’M IN LOVE!! (Pic as attachment)  They really change my look.  I got them threaded but no one could ever arch them or make them symmetrical.  Ever.  I hated my brows soooo much.  Why didn’t I do this earlier? 

• @CharmedPam your eyebrows look great!! 
  • 11PM fireworks is bullshit.  That's the time most noise ordinances start (we used to live in a neighborhood adjacent to a large concert venue and they had a strict cut off of 11pm and hefty fines if it was violated).  So that's really weird. 

Weekend was pretty good.  It was hot through the weekend, so lots of kiddie pool time was had.  DH cleaned out our minibarn so that we can actually fit shit in there.  We do need to do some roof repair to it.  I worked Saturday.  We had dinner at my parent's house last night because my grandpa is leaving town tomorrow.  

We start school next Thursday (yes it's early...our district is on a 'balanced calendar' so we get three 2 week breaks during the school year and 9 weeks of summer break). At the end of the school year, we always get a form to fill out and send back indicating we're staying in the district and at the school.  I've sent it in every year for DefConn (he's going in to 3rd).  Last week, I filled out his health forms online.  The school called me this morning to ask if he was returning next year.  I was very confused and all, "Yes...? Did you not get the form?"  Them, "Yeah, we have it.  We were just checking as we're trying to finalize numbers."  WTF?  It makes me think you're disorganized...or lying about something (like getting the form?).  I wish they would have been more forthcoming about why they would think he may not come back because I'm giving them a huge side-eye.  I have a PTO friend that I hit up for insight and to vent a little about the confusion they've caused. (I mean, I know it would all work out in the end...but it still is baffling.) 
  • Isn't there a heat issue with fireworks?  I'm not in agreement with 11pm, but they might've started so late because they had to let it cool down.

The weekend was good.  It was so hot, I think everyone just stayed inside.  Did some cleaning, some laundry, watched some TV.  We had lunch with a friend on Sunday.  I saw the new Picard trailer and started crying.  Then found a list of chronological Borg in the series so that K can be caught up to watch Picard at least.  And started watching all of the Marvel movies in chronological order, b/c why not?  Most of the good TV is off right now and I need something to do.  My library account is messed up through no fault of my own and so I can't check out books to read.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Isn't there a heat issue with fireworks?  I'm not in agreement with 11pm, but they might've started so late because they had to let it cool down.

I don't think so. It was apparently planned for a long time. 
  • 11 pm is way too late for fireworks. Although that doesn’t stop people setting off their (illegal) fireworks here either. I think 10 pm is our noise ordinance. 

@CharmedPam I’ve been wanting to get my eyebrows microbladed foreverrrr. The cost has been stopping me. They look great!

This weekend was pretty good and I’m glad the left over funk of last weekend has finally dissipated. On Saturday we went to see a Journey tribute band with FSIL and her FI. The event definitely didn’t expect the turnout because there was a big lack in speakers spread throughout and the lines for drinks and food were backed up and poorly organized. We ended up leaving early and going back to our pregame bar which was fine because we got great seats and they had strong pours. Plus the concert was free so we didn’t lose out on any money there. Sunday we went and looked at furniture stores for FSIL and FBIL since I am the designated “interior designer” of the family and they asked for help in decorating. Also I just love looking at furniture. 

Today I’m heading to work, picking up the house, and studying. Trying to decide if I should make creole seasoned salmon for dinner, or chicken tikka masala. 

• Climbing - 11 PM fireworks is BS!  I would be complaining today and encouraging others too!  I think even a 10 PM start time can be too late, unless its a Saturday night.  I wonder how many kids/parents, dogs/dog parents, were also unexpectedly woken up!

Weekend was good except the God awful heat!  We are still hot today, just not as bad as Sat/Sun.  We have thunderstorms coming through later today to push out the rest of the heat/humidity.  It was triple digit hot over Sat/Sun and tomorrow it will upper 70s!  Please, mother nature, just level that out for us - ok?

We went down the shore to my parents house.  And no, there really wasn't much relief there either!  There living room AC unit could barely keep up.  It was 80 in the morning and 85 in the afternoon, even with it running on full blast all day!  But we got some needed work done around the house foundation.  H caulked the cement cracks and I sprayed for bugs (we always get really bad crickets!).  We also replaced the switch for the kitchen fan, since it was crackling when it was on!

We got to eat at all our favorite places, though the first place disappointed a bit.  It was like they forgot to season the meat for our cheesesteaks.  We will go back again, just because they have a history of amazing food!  But if it disappoints again, we probably will stop going.  Got to see my old boss for dinner Saturday night and it was his treat!  Score!  LOL!  Sunday was ice cream sundaes for lunch!  We left way later than we wanted to, but we had a smooth ride home without much traffic.

Tonight I pick up DD after work and its just the two of us.  H has karate.
  • I was really disappointed on Sat.  We had SO many people contact us about coming to see our rental for the open house showing we had from noon-1PM.  Only 3 people showed up :(.  One person took an application, but didn't send it back in.  Which, I think in this case, was a good thing.  I'm merely trying to tell her about the application process and she kept continually, interrupting me.  If you all want a somewhat crazy story, here ya go:

Her two issues were she didn't want to pay an application fee...which I wasn't asking for at that moment, I do a free pre-qual. first...even though I refund it as a credit with first month's rent.  She didn't go into detail, but there's something on her criminal record she was worried about.  First, whatever it was, was dismissed.  Then she was talking about she's in the "process" of getting it expunged.  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'd assume something that was dismissed doesn't need to be expunged.  Then she told me Section 8 can provide me with everything I need about her criminal history and eviction record (she said there weren't any), so she doesn't need to fill out and pay for that step of the application.  Oh really?  Can they (S8) now?  Because that's news to me.  I just left it at, "Section 8 doesn't provide anything like what you are describing to me, to landlords.  But, if there is something you can sign off on so they will provide me with a recent criminal and eviction check, I'll consider that instead of using my normal provider."

Then, apparently she has an emotional support pit bull and has a letter from her psychologist for it.  I say, "Great!  We normally charge a pet fee and pet rent (actually, we normally don't accept that breed at all, along with a few others), but of course we don't do that for an emotional support animal.  I do have a website I use to..."  (Interruption and tells me again she has a letter from her psychologist and that's all she needs)  "Yes, that's perfect you have a letter.  But there is a service I use that's completely free to the potential tenant (I say really fast before she interrupts me again)…" but she interrupts me again anyway to tell me she only has to give me the letter.  Well, whatever, you're mistaken on that.  I didn't actually say that to her.  But I can now see it is completely pointless to try and speak to her any further.  So I thank her for coming and tell her she can e-mail me the application or take a picture of the pages and text those to my H.  People only send back applications about 10-20% of the time anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Trying out a vegan meal delivery service as a sort of cleanse/reset this week. O. M. G. Lettuces take so long to chew my jaw is literally aching with the effort. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    S+S I think you dodged a bullet on that one for sure. Is this for the new properties you're working on? 
  • @short+sassy do you often get the impression that some people are literally signing off on their own rejection by the way that they apply and give you their background story?    
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    11pm is obnoxious and so is that school board mrsconn ...I hate disorganized school business whether it's my kids' school or a coworker.  Yikes @short+sassy

My flowers, tomatoes, and family made it through the heat.The AC was on all weekend but just barely helped unless you were directly in front of it.  It broke overnight - highs aren't supposed to get out of the low 80s this week.  

In the market for another credit card- can anyone recommend one with airline points?
  • @ei34 - NerdWallet has a good Credit Card comparison tool.  
  • @short+sassy - I think you need to keep on looking 😉!

@ei34, I’m going to have to open a new card up too and yup, going to check out nerdwallet for the best fit for me then.

@levioosa, do it!  They are a bit dark now but will lighten.  I can’t stop looking at them. It’s weird to have brows for once.  My mom said she’s going to call me Brooke Shields. It’s basically a semi-perm tat - and i actually used a groupon w/25% off code so it helped the wallet some. I understand if someone would shy away from some discounted procedures though. This could be one of those.  

• I was really disappointed on Sat.  We had SO many people contact us about coming to see our rental for the open house showing we had from noon-1PM.  Only 3 people showed up :(.  One person took an application, but didn't send it back in.  Which, I think in this case, was a good thing.  I'm merely trying to tell her about the application process and she kept continually, interrupting me.  If you all want a somewhat crazy story, here ya go:

Her two issues were she didn't want to pay an application fee...which I wasn't asking for at that moment, I do a free pre-qual. first...even though I refund it as a credit with first month's rent.  She didn't go into detail, but there's something on her criminal record she was worried about.  First, whatever it was, was dismissed.  Then she was talking about she's in the "process" of getting it expunged.  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'd assume something that was dismissed doesn't need to be expunged.  Then she told me Section 8 can provide me with everything I need about her criminal history and eviction record (she said there weren't any), so she doesn't need to fill out and pay for that step of the application.  Oh really?  Can they (S8) now?  Because that's news to me.  I just left it at, "Section 8 doesn't provide anything like what you are describing to me, to landlords.  But, if there is something you can sign off on so they will provide me with a recent criminal and eviction check, I'll consider that instead of using my normal provider."

Then, apparently she has an emotional support pit bull and has a letter from her psychologist for it.  I say, "Great!  We normally charge a pet fee and pet rent (actually, we normally don't accept that breed at all, along with a few others), but of course we don't do that for an emotional support animal.  I do have a website I use to..."  (Interruption and tells me again she has a letter from her psychologist and that's all she needs)  "Yes, that's perfect you have a letter.  But there is a service I use that's completely free to the potential tenant (I say really fast before she interrupts me again)…" but she interrupts me again anyway to tell me she only has to give me the letter.  Well, whatever, you're mistaken on that.  I didn't actually say that to her.  But I can now see it is completely pointless to try and speak to her any further.  So I thank her for coming and tell her she can e-mail me the application or take a picture of the pages and text those to my H.  People only send back applications about 10-20% of the time anyway.
    Normally both the arrest and (any) conviction would appear on a background check, depending on the type of check. An arrest without a conviction wouldn't be a bar for any kind of housing or employment, but people will sometimes try to get the arrest expunged just for the hassle and embarrassment of it. 
  • banana468 Usually when I'm the house guest with a dog I don't the "great time" comment - my parents love my dog but hate her slobber.  

My bunny was sick this morning and I had to take her to the vet before work.  And then I am working from home but of course, it being Monday and already a crazy one, my internet went out so I had to go into the office.  I hope she is feeling better when I get home!

Crazy storms this weekend, and the power went out, but it was fun to watch the fireflies in the dark!

• Thursday and Friday were horribly hot and humid with a heat index on Friday of 108 f.  Ufda! 

Saturday I woke up at 6 AM to thunder.  It stormed all morning like we haven't seen in several years.  Our electricity went out for seconds about 3 times and then stayed off.  Fortunately, it was only for 15 mins and then the AC could kick back on.  There were lots of tress blown down and we got nearly 3 inches of rain.  About noon, the temp dropped 20 degrees to 60.  We threw open the windows and enjoyed a few hours of fresh air.  We stayed home and caught up on the dvr.  By evening it was humid again so we closed everything up and turned on the AC again.

Yesterday was church, a little shopping and then I drove my Mom to a park concert in a little town not far from us.  It wasn't my style of music but band were really great musicians and it was nice to spend some time with her.  It was perfect weather to be outside - upper 70s with no humidity - yay!

Work has been a little slow so I'm digging up projects to work on and catching up on training.  
  • kerbohl said:
    banana468 Usually when I'm the house guest with a dog I don't the "great time" comment - my parents love my dog but hate her slobber.  

My bunny was sick this morning and I had to take her to the vet before work.  And then I am working from home but of course, it being Monday and already a crazy one, my internet went out so I had to go into the office.  I hope she is feeling better when I get home!

Crazy storms this weekend, and the power went out, but it was fun to watch the fireflies in the dark!
    I should have phrased that we knew the dog was coming and our kids LOVE her.   She's adorable, well-behaved and at a size that doesn't freak out my kids.   It was a win and now I think the kids miss the dog more than our friends. 
  • @short+sassy  good lord lady ... stfu!

@OliveOilsMom Lovely time with DD and damn, hot there too!!

Apparently I'm back to fighting with either condo corp or a/c company.

Little back story cuz idk if I mentioned it, but we had a crack in our foundation during the winter. Condo corp came to fix it, but had to unplug our a/c unit to move it out of the way. Cool.
    Anyways, last month we realized our a/c wasn't really cooling so we called the company. They came to look at it and apparently when it was re-installed by condo corp, it was done wrong. Not only that, they shouldn't have touched it {we didn't know} Company gave us bill to forward to condo corp.
    Great. Cool. Condo corp realized they made a mistake unknowingly and said they'd pay it.

NOW! I check my bank acct cuz I realized I had some banking that I hadn't done last week. I realize one acct is super low, so I check and AC Company took the fucking full bill.
    What. WHAT!?
    I call. They never got anything from condo corp about it, so I've already sent a damn email to my condo corp about it.
    If I haven't heard anything by mid-morning tomorrow, I'm calling because they now owe me almost $800!
    Fuck sakes. Luckily I have savings but omfg not for this.
  • @kvruns, no, this isn't a unit for one of the new properties.  We don't have any of those units available to rent out yet.  It was just bad luck that one of my other tenants is moving out of state at the end of this month, so we've been doing showings for that house.  On top of all the time and money we're spending on rehab for the new duplexes.  So much ugh, lol.

In fact, there are still tenants living in three of the units.  But we have an eviction hearing next Monday for two of those tenants.  We had served everyone with a 30-Day Notice to Vacate at the end of June, after I closed.  But then, those two tenants didn't pay their rent that was due on July 1st.  So we're actually evicting for non-payment of rent.

The third tenant has their rent due toward the end of the month anyway.  I told them I'd just take the week of pro-rated rent out of the security deposit, rather then them having to worry about it while they're getting ready to move (or should be, @short+sassy says wryly).  I also told them if they moved before their rent was due, they could have the whole security deposit back (assuming no damages).  But they haven't contacted me.  I haven't seen any signs of them moving.  Sooooo, I'll probably have to evict them also.  Except this time it would be for not complying with the 30-Day Notice to Vacate.

It's really not usually like that with inherited tenants and evictions, lol.  But the previous owner was obviously the kind of guy who didn't do any kind of background checks.  He charged a crazy cheap rent...$500/month for a 3bd/2ba...so people didn't complain about the conditions or expect him to fix anything and would hopefully just pay it.  Pretty much a recipe for getting problem tenants.

It's all good, though.  I walked into it with my eyes wide open and rolled the lost time and money it would take to do an eviction for all four units...because originally there were four tenants...into my rehab expenses. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34 said:
    11pm is obnoxious and so is that school board mrsconn ...I hate disorganized school business whether it's my kids' school or a coworker.  

I reached out to my PTO friend and was like, "WTF?" and she reminded me we had to fill out the returning student form online via e-mail invite.   I searched my inbox and lo and behold, I found the returning student confirmation.  So I found the having to confirm again (at the last damn minute) even more annoying.  I'm just confused as to how they got the impression that DefConn's attendance was in question.  I'm not some school supermom that is in the PTO or volunteers in the classroom or anything, but the principal knows me, we always show up for conferences, back to school night, school events (carnival, performances), and we spent a fair amount of time in meetings between 1st and 2nd grade with the whole 'team' while we were getting him tested for his learning issues and getting him plugged-in with a SpEd plan. 

DH called over lunch and I was venting to him how I found the whole thing annoying and confounding, and he's all, "It got taken care of in 2 seconds, no?"  Yes, DH it did...but the thing is that I've already spent a decent amount of time make sure he's plugged in and this is not the first time I've had communication issues with the school district.  
  • banana468 said:
    @short+sassy do you often get the impression that some people are literally signing off on their own rejection by the way that they apply and give you their background story?    
    Yes! Yes, they do.  My husband and I marvel at that each time we have a vacancy.  A bit different, but I sometimes look at "Housing Wanted" ads on Craig's List and it's really bad on there.  You can tell a lot of people don't reread their ad from the POV of their target audience before posting.  And I'm usually reaching for my 10-foot-pole, instead of my e-mail for a reply to their ad.

I do think it's a good idea for someone to pro-actively mention a negative that will come up in a background check.  I'll listen and it may not be a deal-breaker for me.  I can already vet if that is something I'll accept or not.  Before they pay for a background check.

And I have had people do that well!  As an example, earlier this year I had potential tenants.  Young couple, probably in their mid-20s.  He was forthright that he'd stolen a car when he was 19 and had gone to jail for a few years.  But had used the time to study to become an electrician.  Finished up that schooling when he got out and had been working as an electrician for the same company for the past two years.  He welcomed my questions.  I actually would have considered renting to them except, earlier in the day, I'd accepted a holding deposit for the house.  

He didn't throw up a wall of words and excuses to try and, I guess, distract me.  Like the potential tenant on Sat.  And I would have been happy to speak with her about the concerns on her criminal background.  Just like I did with him.  Except I couldn't get a word in edgewise and, after a few minutes, didn't see this going anywhere, anyway.

And I get it.  Not everyone is good at explaining or representing themselves well.  I give a lot of latitude with that.  The "black and whites" of no evictions, no violent felonies, and adequate verifiable income (3x gross rent) are the biggies for me.  But I also look at general attitude and it's a bad sign when someone won't let me finish a sentence to convey important information.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2019
    Mine wasn't bad. I didn't do much-it was so hot that you could barbecue steaks on an outdoor grill without even lighting the charcoal.

11pm fireworks?????? On the 4th, they started in Hermann Park in Houston around 9-9:30pm. They were long over by 11pm! (They were beautiful.)

@short+sassy, sorry to hear that this tenant has lots of big red flags. I hope you find someone good.