Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Rant

edited August 2019 in Wedding Party
Just need to vent a bit...
I'm getting married in England next June, but I'm way ahead in the planning for a number of reasons. Largely, this has been useful; unfortunately, it means one very opinionated bridesmaid is getting a bit greedy (?) for lack of a better term.
The BMs have picked out their own dresses, and I am paying for them. We live in the UK, and my understanding is that the bride paying is tradition here (though, not required). I found a website that I've used before, picked a number of dresses, put them into the site's "showroom", and my BMs voted. The dress that was chosen was the only one all 4 liked...perfect. Makes life easy. One particular bridesmaid (let's call her A) then informed me that she liked the dress (hence why she voted on it), but liked a different one a lot better so was going to change her vote to force them all to pick the other one. Not quite the democracy I was hoping for, but I managed to get her to just go with it. I won't be ordering them for awhile, but voter's remorse wasn't going to work here.
Recently, FI went for drinks with A, and after a few drinks (there is a potential separate issue that her sister is working out how to address) A starts asking about flowers. I told her that the bridesmaids will be carrying large bouquets of baby's breath, which I have always loved. She made a disgusted face, and told me she wanted a better bouquet. I told her I couldn't afford anything else for the BMs (there are 4 in total), and I really liked the look. Her response was, "well, what are you carrying?!" "White peonies." "Why do you get to carry those, and I'm stuck with the shitty bouquet?" I just stared at her blankly to avoid the phrase, "because I'm the bride". "Well, I'll wear a flower crown" "No, because that would look a bit stupid since nobody will be wearing flower crowns [apart from maybe a tiny one on my 3 year old niece]." Another disgusted face.
Then she got mad at FI and me because we're not having an open bar after dinner simply because we can't afford it. Note: We're having a prosecco / beer reception, some for toasting, and wine with dinner.
After all this, FI and I have made a pact not to go out for drinks with A--just for coffee or dinner, something where alcohol isn't the main event.
I don't want to bring this up again because odds are she has no memory of it (i.e. the issue her sister needs to deal with), and frankly, I'm a wimp when it comes to confrontation, and I worry I will acquiesce to avoid problems. She really is a lovely friend, and I have no intent or interest in kicking her out of the wedding (something I know a lot of brides ask about here). I also know she won't act on any of this behavior---my other BMs and MOH will shut it down, but it's just really frustrating. I've never seen this kind of behavior out of her, and I'm really upset that "because I'm the bride" and "It's not your wedding" even popped into my head. :(
Hope all this makes sense. I get the feeling I'm rambling a bit.
Thanks for letting me have a vent.

ETA: I know there is a big point r.e. cash bars and etiquette in the US, but I've not been to a single open bar wedding here in the UK.

Re: Bridesmaid Rant

• Options
    I'm getting married in England next June, but I'm way ahead in the planning for a number of reasons. Largely, this has been useful; unfortunately, it means one very opinionated bridesmaid is getting a bit greedy (?) for lack of a better term.
    The BMs have picked out their own dresses, and I am paying for them. We live in the UK, and my understanding is that the bride paying is tradition here (though, not required). I found a website that I've used before, picked a number of dresses, put them into the site's "showroom", and my BMs voted. The dress that was chosen was the only one all 4 liked...perfect. Makes life easy. One particular bridesmaid (let's call her A) then informed me that she liked the dress (hence why she voted on it), but liked a different one a lot better so was going to change her vote to force them all to pick the other one. Not quite the democracy I was hoping for, but I managed to get her to just go with it. I won't be ordering them for awhile, but voter's remorse wasn't going to work here.
    Recently, FI went for drinks with A, and after a few drinks (there is a potential separate issue that her sister is working out how to address) A starts asking about flowers. I told her that the bridesmaids will be carrying large bouquets of baby's breath, which I have always loved. She made a disgusted face, and told me she wanted a better bouquet. I told her I couldn't afford anything else for the BMs (there are 4 in total), and I really liked the look. Her response was, "well, what are you carrying?!" "White peonies." "Why do you get to carry those, and I'm stuck with the shitty bouquet?" I just stared at her blankly to avoid the phrase, "because I'm the bride". "Well, I'll wear a flower crown" "No, because that would look a bit stupid since nobody will be wearing flower crowns [apart from maybe a tiny one on my 3 year old niece]." Another disgusted face.
    Then she got mad at FI and me because we're not having an open bar after dinner simply because we can't afford it. Note: We're having a prosecco / beer reception, some for toasting, and wine with dinner.
    After all this, FI and I have made a pact not to go out for drinks with A--just for coffee or dinner, something where alcohol isn't the main event.
    I don't want to bring this up again because odds are she has no memory of it (i.e. the issue her sister needs to deal with), and frankly, I'm a wimp when it comes to confrontation, and I worry I will acquiesce to avoid problems. She really is a lovely friend, and I have no intent or interest in kicking her out of the wedding (something I know a lot of brides ask about here). I also know she won't act on any of this behavior---my other BMs and MOH will shut it down, but it's just really frustrating. I've never seen this kind of behavior out of her, and I'm really upset that "because I'm the bride" and "It's not your wedding" even popped into my head. :(

ETA: I know there is a big point r.e. cash bars and etiquette in the US, but I've not been to a single open bar wedding here in the UK.
    You are far better off venting here than you are to your friends and family. 
    The easiest way to deter much of these unsolicited opinions is to not discuss unnecessary wedding details with anyone.  If anyone asks, a simple, "We're working on it" is the only response required.  No BM needs to know (or should care) about what they carry down the aisle, save for anyone allergic to particular flowers. 
    The dress is the one item I think brides should strive to consider the comfort and individual tastes of the BM.  If all had an equal opportunity to voice their opinion, and cost was not a factor, I would stick with the original vote.  However, a year out is definitely a bit early to make these decisions.  It is good you are waiting to place the order. 
    I'm confused about your alcohol offerings.  If you are limiting the bar to prosecco, beer, and wine, and it is offered throughout the dinner and reception, that is perfectly appropriate.  What you should not do is offer these beverages up to and until the end of dinner, and then have a cash bar.  You are also within etiquette to not offer alcohol at all. My personal opinion is that I would host properly, regardless of where I live or what that state/country norm suggests.  If many of your guests are from the states, they will not be aware of norms in England.  The worst case scenario for me is free beverages until an appointed hour and then cash.  That causes all sorts of unexpected embarrassment for the guests.  Host properly, albiet limited, or not at all.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Stop discussing any details of the wedding with her. If she asks again about flowers or anything, just tell you haven't decided yet. Your wedding is almost a year away anyway. If she brings the wedding up, change the subject. 

Also, what do you mean by the issue her sister has to deal with? I'm confused by that. 
  • Options
    MobKaz said:

You are far better off venting here than you are to your friends and family. 
    The easiest way to deter much of these unsolicited opinions is to not discuss unnecessary wedding details with anyone.  If anyone asks, a simple, "We're working on it" is the only response required.  No BM needs to know (or should care) about what they carry down the aisle, save for anyone allergic to particular flowers. 
    The dress is the one item I think brides should strive to consider the comfort and individual tastes of the BM.  If all had an equal opportunity to voice their opinion, and cost was not a factor, I would stick with the original vote.  However, a year out is definitely a bit early to make these decisions.  It is good you are waiting to place the order. 
    I'm confused about your alcohol offerings.  If you are limiting the bar to prosecco, beer, and wine, and it is offered throughout the dinner and reception, that is perfectly appropriate.  What you should not do is offer these beverages up to and until the end of dinner, and then have a cash bar.  You are also within etiquette to not offer alcohol at all. My personal opinion is that I would host properly, regardless of where I live or what that state/country norm suggests.  If many of your guests are from the states, they will not be aware of norms in England.  The worst case scenario for me is free beverages until an appointed hour and then cash.  That causes all sorts of unexpected embarrassment for the guests.  Host properly, albiet limited, or not at all.

Most guests are from the UK. We are limiting type of alcohol--we can't afford gin, rum, vodka, etc. for after.
  • Options
    Stop discussing any details of the wedding with her. If she asks again about flower or anything, just tell you haven't decided yet. Your wedding is almost a year away anyway. If she brings the wedding up, change the subject. 

Also, what do you mean by the issue her sister has to deal with? I'm confused by that. 

---can't get out of the box--
    Her sister and friend group thinks she has a drinking problem. She only brings these things up when she's been drinking <heavily>...hence her big push for a bar that allows for everything.
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses. Glad to know I've not completely lost the plot. You're right. I'll avoid any further discussion with her until it's absolutely necessary or if she asks and doesn't have anything to do with her (i.e. what FI is wearing--she'll have an opinion, but it won't impact her!)
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses. Glad to know I've not completely lost the plot. You're right. I'll avoid any further discussion with her until it's absolutely necessary or if she asks and doesn't have anything to do with her (i.e. what FI is wearing--she'll have an opinion, but it won't impact her!)
    Honestly, even if it doesn't have anything to do with her, I wouldn't discuss it. Why even open it up for her to give her opinion? 
  • Options
    "Most guests are from the UK. We are limiting type of alcohol--we can't afford gin, rum, vodka, etc. for after."

There is absolutely 100% no issue in offering a limited bar.  Just as you need to do your best to host appropriately, your guests need to be gracious in their acceptance of what you choose to host. Please be aware, however, that a limited bar will not stop a heavy drinker from drinking heavily if that is their inclination. 

If this BM brings up wedding related items, even when not solicited by you, simply have some canned expressions to present, and then change the subject...
    *We haven't decided on XXXXX yet...
    *That's an interesting thought.....
    *We have different ideas.....
    *We're keeping details to ourselves because we like surprising guests....
    *This is our final decision and not up for discussion.....

While you do not want to kick her out of the wedding party, and you shouldn't, you can have a final say that would require her to make choices.  "Friend, I need you to show up in the agreed upon dress, carry the bouquet of my choosing, and stand with me during the ceremony.  Those are things that impact you directly.  I hope you are able to do that.  None of the other details matter specifically to you, and I do not care to have any more discussion."

• Options
    maine7mobmaine7mob member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2019
    Reading between the lines here, it sounds as if A is only pushy when she's had too much to drink. At least that's what I infer from your decision to go out with her only for a meal or coffee. Definitely stick to this. You won't be able to control her drinking at your reception, but by then, she'll already be in the dress and holding the bouquet, and her behavior will be on her.
  • Options
    When it comes to the dresses - I really would do one final "speak now or forever hold your peace" before making the final BM dress order because life happens, sometimes manufacturers stop carrying particular dresses, body changes can change style preferences, etc. That because it is so early, is a reasonable thing to do one final check.  

The BM bouquets, "you're carrying what the florist delivers that day!" would have been a good passive-aggressive answer.  And I wholeheartedly agree with the others, better to vent here than IRL to people on stuff like this.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    maine7mob said:
    Reading between the lines here, it sounds as if A is only pushy when she's had too much to drink. At least that's what I infer from your decision to go out with her only for a meal or coffee. Definitely stick to this. You won't be able to control her drinking at your reception, but by then, she'll already be in the dress and holding the bouquet, and her behavior will be on her.
    You've read correctly. I'm hoping she gets some help, but I know that will only happen if she really wants it. Her drinking at the reception we've already seen as inevitable, but by then, maybe she'll have had help, and we can't not host others because she has an issue. There are enough people around that will deal with it, if there's a big problem, and she won't be drinking before or during the ceremony!

Edit for spelling.
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    When it comes to the dresses - I really would do one final "speak now or forever hold your peace" before making the final BM dress order because life happens, sometimes manufacturers stop carrying particular dresses, body changes can change style preferences, etc. That because it is so early, is a reasonable thing to do one final check.  

The BM bouquets, "you're carrying what the florist delivers that day!" would have been a good passive-aggressive answer.  And I wholeheartedly agree with the others, better to vent here than IRL to people on stuff like this.  
    This is definitely happening. I have to order one pretty early as my MOH is in the US. I need to order hers when I'm back home for Christmas, so I can pay for it and have it shipped from the US site (long logistic pain). The rest I can hold off on, and if the MOH winds up with a dress different from the rest, that's okay; she's the MOH!