Wedding Woes

FRIIIIIIIDAAAAAYYYY

School has started but life has been crazy busy anyway.  I have spent the last few days in the kitchen trying to get ahead of this fall sports craziness- 7 dozen muffins, 2 meatloafs, shredded chicken and pork, browned hamburger, sausage egg roll ups, baked oatmeals.  My body hurts. I have anti-fatigue mats but it was a lot of standing on hardwords still and I should have just worn shoes. Seriously though we have anywhere from 2-3 trainings a night 5 nights a week.  I added up all of the games this season and there are a minimum of 50 (more if they guest play or go to tournament finals)

My folks are coming today to help me decorate.  They asked what I wanted for my bday and I said a day of hanging curtains, blinds, and pictures.  Reality is I'll do all of the work, but having them here makes it more fun and forces me to actually do it! Then tonight M2 has training.

They are taking 6let home tonight for his bday fun weekend- monopoly, movies, coke, hiking, shopping, arcade.

Saturday M2 has a game then I'm taking her shopping at Justice (hold me) and DH is taking Max to the Crew game. 

Sunday 6let has a late evening training.

Monday I'm taking myself to the movies (even though I've been saying this for a year maybe this Monday I'll actually do it.

Now I need to shower and go to the store.  Despite being there 5 times this week we are out of coffee!!!!!!

Re: FRIIIIIIIDAAAAAYYYY

• I'm finally upright and back to work.  :) The coughing fit I had from 4am-5am was fun.  :/ 

We went to the first pack meeting for boy scouts this year last night.  It was fun.  I'm now the assistant treasurer.  ;) 

DH is taking DefConn out to the farm in IL with his uncle to help his other uncle get ready for Labor Day.  I have to work tomorrow.  One of my BFF's and her family might stop by tomorrow afternoon.  Sunday, while I wait for DH and DefConn to come back I'll probably go to the store and get a pedicure.  

And MindHunter season 2 is out today, so I know what I'll be doing at all other times.  :D 
  • Ugh feeling super blah today. Day three of terrible muscle pain from a dance class and just like I am too young to be this out of shape and really bummed with myself. Hoping I can use this to nudge myself into some sort of strength training routine. 
  • I am so bloody tired.  K had a head injury at practice.  Basically they jumped the apex and ran headfirst into another player's (who wasn't being safe) chest.  That player is nicknamed Hulk, so it was an intense hit.  They said they heard a bunch of cracking and popping that sounded like bubble wrap.  This is an apex jump (player will come from bottom left of screen).

Image result for apex jump gif

We weren't sure if it was a concussion or not, so set a timer to wake up every two hours to check on them.  K can't see out of their left eye (childhood cancer) and that pupil is always a little differently sized than the other one, but it did look marginally worse than usual.  B/c of where the pain is placed and some other things, I think it's probably a tendon issue.  I want them to go get an xray of their neck today just to make sure there's nothing wrong.  We'll see if they do it.  FYI:  Nurses are the worst patients ever.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? is a good movie, overall.  Cate Blanchett did an incredible job, I think.  The main character was exhausting to listen to and I think that was the point.  I'm going to try and see Good Boys this weekend and maybe finally see Toy Story 4.  
  • OMG @VarunaTT!  I hope K does get checked out.  And yes, I've heard that about nurses.  That sounds like a scary and painful injury. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @VarunaTT head injuries are so scary!  It’s one of my big fears for 6let. Bernadette is what I’m hoping to see Monday!
  • Varuna I hope K is ok and it is just some soreness. Did you read the book or just see the movie? Your description of the main character definitely fits the book too (and I think  that author's style in general)
  • @6fsn - I did that last weekend too. I spent hours in the kitchen cooking with bare feet on the hardwood floors. What a bad decision. I was in pain the rest of the evening. 

My mom's coming down to NY tonight and then we're spending the day together tomorrow. I also think tonight we're going to a neighbor's house for dinner. No other plans so far. 
  • Good luck with your mom, @climbingwife.  I hope the visit goes smoothly and your mom 'behaves'.  ;) 
  • kvruns said:
    Varuna I hope K is ok and it is just some soreness. Did you read the book or just see the movie? Your description of the main character definitely fits the book too (and I think  that author's style in general)
    I haven't read the book, but the movie made me want to.  The movie feels very surface level to all the characters except the main character.  And Bernadette feels so complicated that it ends up feeling like the movie doesn't dive that much into her.  

Thanks everyone.  I called them at 9 (b/c that was the next 2 hour mark) and woke them up (they are having a hard time transitioning back into sleeping at night since they're not working nights anymore).  Their doctor sent them to the ER, which I kind of hate, but they're going (their health insurance system has the freaking worst ER wait).
  • Oh dear! @VarunaTT, get her checked out and even if its nothing you can just laugh about it later - at least you’ll know!!! Sounds painful.  Especially colliding into The Hulk.

@6fsn, my parents are big house helpers too. But I’m vice versa - they do a lot of the work around my house and I hold the ladder :)

@climbingwife, have fun with your mom!

I have a retouch microblade appt.  has anyone got one? You pay for the appt but they always come with a retouch a month after.  I tipped her at the appointment and I tipped her well.  I’ll google this anyway but does anyone know if I tip upon a re touch?  I don’t even know what happens or how extensive the work is.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @VarunaTT-  last time I asked about concussion protocol they were changing things. Not waking every 2 hrs and not limiting as much. Given k’s sport of choice it might be worth asking.  Or it could be different for kids vs adults.
  • All the good thoughts @VarunaTT; head and neck injuries are no joke. Hoping everything checks out okay!

I'm exhausted. The cat puked on the bed last night at 4am so I’m dragging. I’m super ready for the weekend where I have no plans besides returning a pair of pants.  
  • @6fsn and @climbingwife, you know it's a marathon cooking day when you need to wear sneakers (or should have)!

@mrsconn23, glad you're feeling at least a little better.

@VarunaTT, I hope everything is all right with K!  Sending healing vibes.

Crazy busy at work today!  Ugh!  And it's aggravating because Fridays are already my busy half-day and I usually end up having to work later than I should.  So I'm a little extra PO'ed that I had an hour of extra work...but "extremely important" s**t...dumped on me this morning.

I'm too annoyed all around to even think straight over what is happening the rest of the weekend.  I'm definitely not Miss Merry Sunshine today, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m glad K is going to the ER, @VarunaTT. New pupillary changes are always a red flag that needs to be checked out in an ER setting. They’re probably fine and will get the “rest and here are the symptoms you need to come back for” talk, but it’s better to be cautious whenever the brain is involved. And nurses/health care professionals are the worst patients. I always wait too long to go in for stuff and I try to manage it at home and then get yelled at when I finally drag myself in to be seen. 

More studying today. My legs are pretty sore from yesterday but I’m not upset about it. I need some more good gym sessions where I actually feel like I worked out and didn’t just maintain a routine. At some point today I have to make a meal plan and possibly go shopping. 

• edited August 2019
    mrsconn23 said:
    Good luck with your mom, @climbingwife.  I hope the visit goes smoothly and your mom 'behaves'.  ;) 
    HA! Me too! Thanks! ;) 
  • Varuna - Glad to hear K is going to get checked out in the ER.  That sounds like a scary collision!

We were supposed to go out to dinner last night, but DD had other plans.  She basically had an hour and a half meltdown, just before we were ready to leave.  She ended up eating scrambled eggs for dinner and then went to bed.  H and I had a pizza.   She had no nap yesterday and I think her tiredness took over.  She was like a new kid this morning, super excited for Wacky Water day at daycare!

We will be going out to Lowes tonight to grab the paint and look at vanieties.  We have a tight spot for the half bath, so we have pretty limited options anyway.  I just hope H likes what I choose!  LOL!  H has to repair his mudding again, since it cracked again.  We are trying to find a vinyl joint compound, they don't crack, but we couldn't find it last time we were there.   And what we bought cracks.  The wall he patched is right next to our stairs, the basement door/stairs and the garage, so we need to get something better than what we initially bought.
  • We have 2 open houses we are attending this weekend. However, we have learned that the real magicians are the people who take pictures of real estate. There is some serious sorcery going on there. House hunting is...interesting. 

I’m also tidying up our garden this weekend. I only have 2 weeks left of summer hours so I’m trying to take advantage of the 1/2 days while I can. It’s so crazy how fast this summer went! 

I wrote out the dinner menus menus for the next two weeks. DH and I committed to eating out once a month and cooking at home the remainder of time. It’s crazy how much money we have saved and how much better we feel! 
    Good luck with the house hunting!

Though I usually have the opposite experience with pictures, lol.  Maybe because I tend to be looking at investment real estate properties.  But still!  I'm often like, "Can you at least try?  Because properties cost more than $20."  Here are often the comments I mumble to myself looking at online listings:

--Where ARE the pics (eyeroll) or why are there only a few?
    --Sometimes followed closely with:  It's bad enough you only have one unique picture of just the exterior of the house.  But why did you upload the same pic 5x?  And bonus points when they obviously couldn't even bother getting out of their car and the pic is framed by their car window, smh.
    --I realize this may not be the highest end house.  But it's still $50K+, so why did you post garbage pics?  These are way too dark to see much and/or incredibly blurry.  Since you're at the property anyway with your cell phone camera, it's just the tiniest bit more effort to take a normal photo, ffs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have 2 open houses we are attending this weekend. However, we have learned that the real magicians are the people who take pictures of real estate. There is some serious sorcery going on there. House hunting is...interesting. 

I’m also tidying up our garden this weekend. I only have 2 weeks left of summer hours so I’m trying to take advantage of the 1/2 days while I can. It’s so crazy how fast this summer went! 

I wrote out the dinner menus menus for the next two weeks. DH and I committed to eating out once a month and cooking at home the remainder of time. It’s crazy how much money we have saved and how much better we feel! 
    Good luck with the house hunting!

Though I usually have the opposite experience with pictures, lol.  Maybe because I tend to be looking at investment real estate properties.  But still!  I'm often like, "Can you at least try?  Because properties cost more than $20."  Here are often the comments I mumble to myself looking at online listings:

--Where ARE the pics (eyeroll) or why are there only a few?
    --Sometimes followed closely with:  It's bad enough you only have one unique picture of just the exterior of the house.  But why did you upload the same pic 5x?  And bonus points when they obviously couldn't even bother getting out of their car and the pic is framed by their car window, smh.
    --I realize this may not be the highest end house.  But it's still $50K+, so why did you post garbage pics?  These are way too dark to see much and/or incredibly blurry.  Since you're at the property anyway with your cell phone camera, it's just the tiniest bit more effort to take a normal photo, ffs.
    The number of people who don’t manage to simply clean off their kitchen counters for real estate photos always surprises me!
  • Question for WW: My dad is going to a second interview for a position. The first interview he wore a suit, it was a panel interview with a bunch of people. They called him back and told him to come in for a second interview with two people, and that it would be a “casual” interview. He’s stressing about what to wear. I was thinking suit pants, nice shoes, long sleeve button up, and tie. Ditch the suit jacket. The only sports coat he owns is a lighter brown and that feels like it would end up dressing down the outfit. Does that sound right? Poor guy. He’s never had to interview before (self-employed) and this is his first set of interviews ever in his life so he’s stressing about everything. 

ETA: I should probably mention this is for a city position. He’s already passed a test and had one interview with them. 

• Leviosa - I think that is fine.  I might even ditch the tie, since its for a city position.  It's not a high up Admin position with a city, right?  If for Tax Assessor, then I'd probably use the tie in that case.  If he is working for an even more casual group, like public works, I might even say a polo shirt would be fine.
  • @levioosa I think your suggestion sounds fine. Definitely ditch the suit jacket. 
  • @OliveOilsMom it would be for an inspector’s job. So if he gets the job he’ll probably (I’m guessing) wear a polo shirt and khakis or something like that as he travels from site to site. 

• levioosa said:
    @OliveOilsMom it would be for an inspector’s job. So if he gets the job he’ll probably (I’m guessing) wear a polo shirt and khakis or something like that as he travels from site to site. 
    I’d say sports coat/blazer/jacket, collared shirt, no tie. Maybe it’s just me but the tie and no jacket looks odd. Or suit jacket/pants no tie. 

• levioosa said:
    @OliveOilsMom it would be for an inspector’s job. So if he gets the job he’ll probably (I’m guessing) wear a polo shirt and khakis or something like that as he travels from site to site. 
    I’d say sports coat/blazer/jacket, collared shirt, no tie. Maybe it’s just me but the tie and no jacket looks odd. Or suit jacket/pants no tie. 

Knowing its for an inspector job, then I agree with Charlotte.  If his normal work wear would be a polo and khakis, he should be slightly more formal at the interview, IMO.
  • Thanks everyone. I feel solid on what to wear for my own interviews but trying to coach my baby boomer parents through interview attire has been rough. As has coaching them on what to say. My dad also has zero filter so the struggle has been real. But he got a second interview at one city and several other interviews at other cities, so it sounds like he must have reigned that in a little at least. 

• levioosa said:
    Thanks everyone. I feel solid on what to wear for my own interviews but trying to coach my baby boomer parents through interview attire has been rough. As has coaching them on what to say. My dad also has zero filter so the struggle has been real. But he got a second interview at one city and several other interviews at other cities, so it sounds like he must have reigned that in a little at least. 
    Good luck to your dad!  That's a lot of interviews and interest!  I hope it turns into multiple job offers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker