Wedding Woes
Options

4 professional 'friends' in the world.

Dear Prudence,

Recently I looked up a professional acquaintance from several years ago, and he was immediately interested in talking to me. When we worked in sales together, we would take an afternoon off every other month or so to go drinking. I switched jobs and almost never drink anymore. He apparently developed a problem and ran a high-paying sales management career off the rails. After a divorce, rehab, and more than a year of unemployment, he has a midlevel sales job again and is getting his life back together. I missed all of this when we were not in contact. I like hanging out with him, and I want to be supportive of him now.

The problem is that he frequently wants to talk about his sobriety, but he still smokes pot, has the occasional beer, and claims to have quit smoking cigarettes but lights up in front of me. He says he never did hard drugs but has to get regularly drug-tested. I’d never mention these inconsistencies, but he keeps bringing them up. What is the best response? I am not too invested in our friendship, so my options are pretty open.

—Working Relationship With an Addict

Re: 4 professional 'friends' in the world.

• Options
    You apparently don’t like hanging out with him. Just stop. 
  • Options
    Keep the relationship professional and in public.   This guy sounds way to slippery to be honest and his past behavior this times sounds like he's up to old tricks. 
  • Options
    Find a friend you don't have to spend so much time judging for this man's sake.  Thanks.
  • Options
    If you don't think he's being honest with you about his drug and alcohol use, or if you don't feel comfortable hanging out with him anymore, then stop. 
  • Options
    Y'know, I see both sides here.  It appears LW was looking for some nostalgic connection with this person and is looking back on a fond relationship from the past.  However, this guy clearly has Gone. Through. Some. Shit. and is still working through it (or has stalled out in the process).   LW sees some of the old relationship, but is also getting a vibe that he's wearing a mask of okayness and it's putting LW ill at ease with carrying on. 

And you know what?  It's OK for LW to not want to take on this guy's apparent issues.  But if LW is not invested in moving forward, there's no point in bringing any of it up to him.  Just drop off again and move on.  
  • Options
    You don’t have to want to hang out again. Just let the friendship slide. But also, unless your life is perfect stop judging him. Sounds like he had a rough time and is putting things back together. He doesn’t need you monitoring his every move to see if he slips up.