Wedding Woes
Options

It's not your uterus, so you say nothing.

Dear Prudence,

Several years ago, I had IVF to have my daughter. It was an emotionally intense and deeply lonely experience, yet I consider myself wildly lucky. I try to be open about my experience with other women, because I believe infertility shouldn’t be some dark secret. My sister-in-law, “Sue,” has three children from her first marriage and recently got remarried at 46 and wants to have another child with her new husband. She refuses to consider adoption or donor eggs, which is her right, and found a doctor who was willing to let her try a few procedures but counseled her that the odds were not good. Because of her age, her insurance doesn’t cover these treatments. The stress of unsuccessful cycles, ovarian stimulation drugs, and the high expense is overwhelming her, and she’s coming to me for help and commiseration. I want to be there for her, but I’m exhausted. She’s been told by several doctors that pregnancy is very unlikely at her age, and a healthy pregnancy ending in a healthy baby is very unlikely, yet she carries on. While I can’t decide what anyone should be satisfied with, I wish she would focus on the kids she has, realize she’s almost 50, and stop this. I’m so tired of talking to her. What can I say?

—Sister-in-Law’s IVF

Re: It's not your uterus, so you say nothing.

• Options
    I would find this exhausting too. I think all LW can do at this point is limit her one-on-one interaction with Sue so that maybe the subject won't come up as much - and when it does come up, try as politely as possible to change the subject. 
  • Options
    I would have a CTJ talk with the SIL and be honest that I just don't have the energy to keep rehashing these conversations.  I would sympathize that I know it's a hard journey, but it's become too much for my own emotional health.  I would be as nice and gentle as I could.  Along with wishing her luck and my hopes they are successful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    46 isn’t almost 50.

not the point I know, but 46 is mid 40’s.  

• Options
    You can't tell her what to do, but you also don't have to be her emotional support if you don't want to. I would tell Sue that I understand how hard this is, but I'm not in a position to be the sounding board and support system that she's looking for. I'd suggest she join a support group to help her work through this. 
  • Options
    Ditto the CTJ talk.  SIL may think LW is interested in IVF and the stressors that go along with them but it's totally fair that LW doesn't want to hear it.