Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress not like what I tried in store

I picked up my Stella York 6639 yesterday that I ordered from an authorized boutique that carries their dresses.
I noticed right away that the fabric seemed different but everyone assured me that it’s because it had not been steamed, and that the sample was stretched out so it felt different.
The differences I’m noticing in my dress are that the fabric isn’t as stretchy and slinky, and the lace appliqués aren’t as neat as I remember.  It also looked slightly more ivoryish than the one I tried.  I’m a bit shaken because I went slightly over budget for this dress because the fabric was (supposed to be) of higher quality.  Now it feels similar to the dresses I tried on that were 60% of the price. 
The boutique no longer had the sample I tried on at the store. They had returned it to the designer. That means I couldn’t compare it and it makes me feel like it’s all in my head. Has anyone else experienced this upon receiving their dress?? 🥀

Re: Dress not like what I tried in store

• 1peter48 said:
    I picked up my Stella York 6639 yesterday that I ordered from an authorized boutique that carries their dresses.
    I noticed right away that the fabric seemed different but everyone assured me that it’s because it had not been steamed, and that the sample was stretched out so it felt different.
    The differences I’m noticing in my dress are that the fabric isn’t as stretchy and slinky, and the lace appliqués aren’t as neat as I remember.  It also looked slightly more ivoryish than the one I tried.  I’m a bit shaken because I went slightly over budget for this dress because the fabric was (supposed to be) of higher quality.  Now it feels similar to the dresses I tried on that were 60% of the price. 
    The boutique no longer had the sample I tried on at the store. They had returned it to the designer. That means I couldn’t compare it and it makes me feel like it’s all in my head. Has anyone else experienced this upon receiving their dress?? 🥀
    If you feel like the quality isn’t what was expected you could always contact the manufacturer directly to make sure the boutique was authorized to sell the product. That’s a good first step. 

• Thank you for the suggestion. I just checked and the boutique is listed under the authorized retailer section of the SY website. I’m beginning to think I tried on a version of the dress that was made by the designer and was not meant to be mass produced as it was (in terms of material quality and level of execution). If that’s the case I really wish someone would have given me a disclaimer. 💔
  • If the quality isn't what you expected, contact the designer and say "My dress isn't nearly the quality of the one that I tried on at the store!" and find out what they recommend..  Have pictures ready to go of things not stitched properly, etc.  

Yes, the sample was stretched out from being worn which does sometimes alter the feeling of the fabric.  If the dress hasn't been pressed out it's going to be incredibly stiff and things aren't going to lay as nicely as they will once pressed/steamed.  It's all about being on balance!  I've had formalwear I've ordered from overseas (JJ's and LITB) that once pressed looked fantastic, but until that step in the process looked and felt odd and just simply didn't lay right.  In one case I ended up taking it to a dry cleaners to have done and it looked amazing after.  
  • I'd also suggest to contact the designer directly. 

Are there any other salons in your area that have that sample dress in stock?