Wedding Woes
Options

Take the job. You're gaining more than you're losing.

Dear Prudence,

I recently found a job I’m very interested in advertised through word of mouth. About a year ago, I graduated with my Ph.D. and am struggling to find a full-time job outside of academia. I’ve spoken with the recruiter, and I want to move forward, but I realized the job is currently held by my friend “Beth.” We were best friends in college but slowly drifted apart. Over the past few years, she’s been extremely unsupportive during a lot of major difficulties I’ve had (deaths in the family, strain from thinking my adviser was trying to push me out of my graduate program, and a financial situation that has me looking into filing bankruptcy). I’m a fairly cheery person, but the few times I’ve gone to her for help, she has changed the subject after just a few minutes, and even sometimes argued with me about why I was having the problem.

She never seems to be happy for me when good things happen. I’ve stopped seeing her as anything more than an acquaintance. I feel a little bad about taking the job, but I know they want someone with a Ph.D. (which Beth doesn’t have), and the fact that they are advertising means they aren’t happy with her work. Even though I didn’t try to underhandedly take her job, I realize I may lose her as a friend. I’m actually kind of OK with that, which makes me feel bad. Is it worth pursuing this job? Or am I being a terrible person?

—Swooping In?

Re: Take the job. You're gaining more than you're losing.

• Options
    Beth sounds like a friend worth losing. Take the job.
  • Options
    Beth sounds like a friend worth losing. Take the job.
    This. 
  • Options
    Take the job; you’re not a terrible person for taking a job if it’s offered to you. You’re okay with losing her as a friend then be okay with it. 
  • Options
    Sounds like you've already "lost her as a friend." Take that L and take the job.
    "Gossip is the devil's telephone, best to just hang up."
  • Options
    Take the job. Plus you don't know that she is losing her job over this, maybe she is going to be moved into another job that suits her and she likes and they needed someone to fill that role before the changes can occur. 
  • Options
    She's losing the job regardless if you take it or not, so you aren't the one "hurting" her.