Wedding Woes
Options

Ummm...you were wrong, probably the most wrong one here.

Dear Prudence,

My mother and I are not rich, but we make enough to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. My mom’s co-worker, “Deb,” has been struggling since her car died, so my mom offered to take her two daughters on a shopping trip at the local thrift store. My mom has a full-time job but makes minimum wage, and she couldn’t afford more than that. It’s perfectly nice stuff but pretty cheap—it’s where we buy all our clothes. I drove us there. The older girl didn’t say hello and never looked up from her phone. The younger one was excited and grateful. When we arrived, the older girl yelped in disappointment because she “thought we were going to the mall.” She never stopped sneering and commented loudly about how tacky and awful everything was. My mother was almost in tears. She’d told them she could spend $50 on each of them. The older girl grabbed a leather jacket that cost $40 and refused to put anything else back. My mother started to apologize to the little brat. I grabbed the clothes out of her hands and told her to go to the car. She started to protest. I told her to shut her mouth or I would shut it for her. We drove back in silence.

As soon as we pulled up, the older girl started “crying.” I told my mother to wait in the car. Deb started to defend her daughter and how “dare” I treat her baby that way. I told Deb her daughter was an ungrateful brat and her parenting was a disgrace. She took advantage of my mother’s good heart, and she’d better make herself right with the Lord. The younger girl piped up that her sister had been “very mean.” I told Deb to never ask my mother for a favor again. Later, my mother scolded me and told me I shouldn’t have acted like that. She was only a “little girl.” I replied that if I’d acted like that at 4, I wouldn’t have been able to sit down for a day. This girl was 14. Deb isn’t talking to her. My mother is in her 60s and has too good a heart. She will drain herself dry for a stranger and then apologize for not having more. I am frustrated. My mother has been taken advantage of in the past, and that is why she lives with me. My own sons never would dare act like this girl. I don’t know what else I could have done.

—End of My Rope

Re: Ummm...you were wrong, probably the most wrong one here.

• Options
    Yeah everyone is wrong here but the LW went so far past the line she can’t even see if anymore. Look, 14 is a terrible age for some girls (me!) and she’s probably got a lot of feelings around shopping/clothes/whatever. Definitely does not make her behavior okay! 

But LW is an adult and the girl is a child. Way over the line to threaten a child, to berate her and her mother, and to act like she did. 

LW your frustration is with your mother not this gamily( but you do owe all of them an apology. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

My mother and I are not rich, but we make enough to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. My mom’s co-worker, “Deb,” has been struggling since her car died, so my mom offered to take her two daughters on a shopping trip at the local thrift store. My mom has a full-time job but makes minimum wage, and she couldn’t afford more than that. It’s perfectly nice stuff but pretty cheap—it’s where we buy all our clothes. I drove us there. The older girl didn’t say hello and never looked up from her phone. The younger one was excited and grateful. When we arrived, the older girl yelped in disappointment because she “thought we were going to the mall.” She never stopped sneering and commented loudly about how tacky and awful everything was. My mother was almost in tears. She’d told them she could spend $50 on each of them. The older girl grabbed a leather jacket that cost $40 and refused to put anything else back. My mother started to apologize to the little brat. I grabbed the clothes out of her hands and told her to go to the car. She started to protest. I told her to shut her mouth or I would shut it for her. We drove back in silence.

As soon as we pulled up, the older girl started “crying.” I told my mother to wait in the car. Deb started to defend her daughter and how “dare” I treat her baby that way. I told Deb her daughter was an ungrateful brat and her parenting was a disgrace. She took advantage of my mother’s good heart, and she’d better make herself right with the Lord. The younger girl piped up that her sister had been “very mean.” I told Deb to never ask my mother for a favor again. Later, my mother scolded me and told me I shouldn’t have acted like that. She was only a “little girl.” I replied that if I’d acted like that at 4, I wouldn’t have been able to sit down for a day. This girl was 14. Deb isn’t talking to her. My mother is in her 60s and has too good a heart. She will drain herself dry for a stranger and then apologize for not having more. I am frustrated. My mother has been taken advantage of in the past, and that is why she lives with me. My own sons never would dare act like this girl. I don’t know what else I could have done.

—End of My Rope

Really?  You don't know what else you could have done?  How about this:

-You could have taken the girl aside and said, "Let's do some calculations here.   It looks like you love that jacket.   That leaves an additional $10 for other items.   Why don't we sort through them and figure out which ones you like the most and determine what you get to keep? " 

Also, let's list where you went wrong.....really wrong: 

-You usurped your mother's position and determined that you were in charge of her goodwill gesture.   You owe your mom an apology both for how you took over at the store and also for how you took over in front of Deb.   THIS WAS NOT YOUR DECISION TO MAKE.

-You insulted a colleague of your mother's AND her child.   You owe this colleague an apology AND you owe the daughter one. 

I'm not sure how old your sons are but good for you?  That your own kids would not act like this is not entirely a reflection of your parenting and you shouldn't take credit for it nor should you actually hypothesize that they will never be bratty.   Plenty of kids are good and still have bad days.   It's what makes them human.  The difference here is that there were two people in that car acting like moody teenage girls and one was driving the car and should be far more introspective of herself.
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2019
    The older girl was absolutely being a brat, and I understand why you were mad. But there were more diplomatic ways to handle her behavior, which you chose not to try...and frankly, since this was your mother's idea and your mother's money, I'm not sure why you let yourself get this involved. Deb is your mother's friend, and you should have let your mother decide how and if to talk to Deb about the issues that came up on the shopping trip. 

I do think a gentle conversation with your mother may be in order about her being overly generous with other people, since it's gotten to a point where she had to move in with you (especially if she starts to become financially reliant on you in other ways).  But you still overstepped this time around and until the point comes where she is financially reliant on you, there's only so much you can do to protect her from being taken advantage of.
  • Options
    This is a lot. 

Empathy is a hell of a drug and it's fucking free. 
    "Gossip is the devil's telephone, best to just hang up."
  • Options
    I get being frustrated by a teenager's lack of gratitude ... and I also get being upset by someone taking advantage of your mother.  But the way LW reacted was not how you react to such things.  
    I'd teach the 14 year old a math lesson here.  Give her fifty bucks, let her pick her own stuff out and pay for it at the cash, and any change goes back to LW's mother.  If that's not good enough or she wants to take the $50 for later, nope, not part of the deal.  She complains, a simple "I'm sorry I can't treat you" and end it.  That would be less of an overreaction.  

• Options
    This makes me think of the recent 90 Day Fiance episode when he takes Anny shopping at the thrift store and she got really mad because she thought they were going to go buy designer clothes. 

And yes LW was the wrongest of the wrong for sure. Who treats someone's kid like that? 
  • Options
    You can be frustrated with a situation and child, but not necessarily take it out on them.

Jacket - mention to the child that if she wanted that it would not be even. Could she find a new jacket that wasn't $40? {also where t.f is $40 leather jacket happening at a thrift store!?}

It's possible that "Deb" was taking advantage, but LW should not have said anything about the parenting or the child like that. If she were to say something, she could have explained like "We had an incident with a jacket she wanted that wouldn't have balanced with little sister amounts. We only had so much and did tell them at the beginning. I feel like older sister didn't really understand the situation, could you discuss with her so she understands?"
  • Options
    Sometimes a CTJ isn't pretty and yes, some 14yo's need them delivered with a hard dose of reality.  Delivery wasn't the greatest, but life lessons learned, never look a gift-horse in the mouth.  

My daughter's Birthday instead of the big huge production we had dinner and went to a store with a small group of her friends and I gave everyone the same $10 budget that if they found something that was $12-15 that was a OMG can't live without" I'd flex (think "in lieu of favors" type thing I'm taking you to the store to pick something out for yourself!)... Someone found a $45 jacket they wanted.  I said no even though I probably could have swung for the jacket because everyone else ended up under budget, it was the principle and the age window.  I didn't make it a big production, just a "I really can't swing that.."..  
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    Sometimes a CTJ isn't pretty and yes, some 14yo's need them delivered with a hard dose of reality.  Delivery wasn't the greatest, but life lessons learned, never look a gift-horse in the mouth.  

My daughter's Birthday instead of the big huge production we had dinner and went to a store with a small group of her friends and I gave everyone the same $10 budget that if they found something that was $12-15 that was a OMG can't live without" I'd flex (think "in lieu of favors" type thing I'm taking you to the store to pick something out for yourself!)... Someone found a $45 jacket they wanted.  I said no even though I probably could have swung for the jacket because everyone else ended up under budget, it was the principle and the age window.  I didn't make it a big production, just a "I really can't swing that.."..  
    But @MesmrEwe the LW is the daughter of the gift giver!  She was the driver.  

Do you really believe that it was her place to step in when she wasn't the one offering? 
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

There's no way this CTJ talk should have come from the LW. It's her mother's colleague's daughter, and it was completely inappropriate for her to speak to that child like that. "Delivery wasn't the greatest?" She basically threatened her with violence. That's not a CTJ for a child.  And because of this gross delivery, it actually will not be a "lesson learned". 
    Exactly.   All the kid is going to learn is that her mom's should not trust her coworker.

FWIW, not mentioned yet but LW's actions have a very real possibility of making her mom's work atmosphere much worse.
  • Options
    I’m seriously not understanding the issue with picking an item that is $10 under the limit. LW needs the CTJ talk, not her mom, the child, or Deb. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    I’m seriously not understanding the issue with picking an item that is $10 under the limit. LW needs the CTJ talk, not her mom, the child, or Deb. 
    It was a $40 jacket plus several other things that put the total over $50.  At least that's what I was thinking because she grabbed the expensive jacket and then refused to put anything else back, according to LW.

• Options
    This issue was that she picked up a $40 jacket in addition to other things which made the total much higher than the $50 limit.  But LW was wrong to confront the teen.
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    levioosa said:
    It was a $40 jacket plus several other things that put the total over $50.  At least that's what I was thinking because she grabbed the expensive jacket and then refused to put anything else back, according to LW.
    Reading comprehension fail on my part. 

• Options
    There's an attitude here that I can't quite put my finger one.  LW is mad about something and I don't think it's this teenager.  There's the whiff of "I pulled myself up, why can't you" going on about Deb, while Mom is just trying to be generous.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2019
    OH, I JUST FOUND IT.  I read too fast, I think:

"As soon as we pulled up, the older girl started “crying.” I told my mother to wait in the car. Deb started to defend her daughter and how “dare” I treat her baby that way. I told Deb her daughter was an ungrateful brat and her parenting was a disgrace. She took advantage of my mother’s good heart, and she’d better make herself right with the Lord. The younger girl piped up that her sister had been “very mean.” I told Deb to never ask my mother for a favor again. Later, my mother scolded me and told me I shouldn’t have acted like that. She was only a “little girl.” I replied that if I’d acted like that at 4, I wouldn’t have been able to sit down for a day. This girl was 14. Deb isn’t talking to her. My mother is in her 60s and has too good a heart. She will drain herself dry for a stranger and then apologize for not having more. I am frustrated. My mother has been taken advantage of in the past, and that is why she lives with me. My own sons never would dare act like this girl. I don’t know what else I could have done.

—End of My Rope"

LW is pissed at her mother for making bad choices, thinks that taking Deb's kids shopping was one, and b/c Deb's kids weren't grateful enough, took it totally out on Deb's kids.

LW, it's time for you to make some boundaries with Mom, both for you and her.  You were really wrong with how you treated Deb's kids, but that's really not the issue.

• Options
    @VarunaTT agreed.   There's also a lot of sanctimommy coming out here (and sanctimonious daughter too).

LW is a better parent than Deb.   LW is a better daughter than Deb's daughter.   LW's kids are better than Deb's kids.   LW is better with finances than her own mom.   LW's mom is easily taken advantage of but LW is smarter than her mom.  

LW is quick to spot the flaws in others because she has none herself and therefore does no wrong. 
  • Options
    I definitely get where the LW is coming from, but there were certainly a few areas where it was taken too far.  I would have been livid at this teen also.

Some of it came from anger at the teen for upsetting the LW's mother and the LW being an advocate for her mother.  I think the LW did need to step in and help her mother.  But there is also some resentment going on that the LW is already helping to support the mother.  And I suspect has had to intervene many times to keep her mother from "giving away the farm", so to speak. 

TBH, I would have a had a blunt CTJ with this teen at the store.  Hopefully outside my mother's hearing so as not to upset her further.  Basically, that she needs to keep her derogatory comments about the store and it's items to herself or go wait in the car.  Because she is being extremely rude to my mother and the other customers in the store and I will not be embarrassed by her behavior.  However the "shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you" comment, was messed up.  I realize that is a common (hopefully not that common) empty threat that people might say to their own children, but it is way out of line to say it to someone else's.

As for the purchase itself.  I know it's hard, but calm down.  And make this a teachable moment instead.  I can't help myself, lol, this is the whole convo I would have.  I'm sure she'd just roll her eyes at me and continue to be a b***ch.  But I can hope pieces of it would sink in for the future:

BG (Brat Girl), my mother is giving you a gift.  SHE chooses the parameters of the gift.  And they are $50 to use at this store.  We all live our entire lives within financial limits.  And this is a perfect time to start practicing those skills.  You have $50 to spend.  Period.  You don't have to spend the whole $50.  But you can't spend more.

Now, this jacket is $40.  That is most of your budget.  Would you rather have that or have more clothes?  I don't know what your closet looks like at home but, if you need clothes, it's the wiser choice to put the jacket back.  But if you already have a lot of clothes and no leather jacket, then the jacket might be something a little extra special to have.  You choose what is best for you.

I also wouldn't have said anything to the girls' mother.  If the mother wanted to, that was up to her.  But WTF?!?!  Blasting this woman's parenting over one incident?  Especially when she is already going through a hard time.  And the poor behavior was from a 14-year-old, no less?  Do well-behaved 12-14 year-olds even exist?  Those are like the WORST frickin' ages, lmao.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker