Military Brides
Options

Hello!!!

Hello everyone!

I have been reading posts on some of the other boards, but I didn't see this board until today!  I have been with my fiance for just short of 2 years, and we will be married on September 1, 2012.  He is a 2nd Lt. in the USMC, and he will be going to Quantico for TBS in either December or March.  We will then be moving to Pensacola for flight school.  I'm currently in my last year of grad school (7 years, omg!), and I'll be graduating with my Doctor of Physical Therapy degree next August.  We are going to be going through so many changes in the next year, so I look forward to reading your posts and hopefully learning a lot from all of the military fiances and wives!  :)

Re: Hello!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome to the military brides board!
    My husband is a pilot as well :) Flight school eats of a LOT of time for the two of you (oh heck, the MILITARY eats up a lot of time for the two of you ;) ) but I'm sure he's a lucky man to have a supportive and understanding fiancee!
    Congratulations on almost being done with grad school!
    How's the planning going?
    Colors chosen?
    Theme/feel of the wedding decided?
    Any vendors booked?
    :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats!!! my FI is in flight school for the army starting in 2 weeks (yay! - sorry haha)

ditto FTL colors, plans for the wedding? where will you have it?

I hope you learn from us, and I'm sure we will lear from you too - since you shoudl stick around. :)
  • Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Where in NY are you? I'm from Buffalo. Only reason I ask is I stalked your other posts and it said Botanical Gardens is your ceremony location, obviously there are other Botanical Gardens in the world, but ya know, doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh and welcome to the board! Tell us about yourself! 
  • Options
    ESalaam787ESalaam787 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  :)  You girls seem to be so supportive on here!  I am trying to prepare myself for how busy he will be, but I know that he felt it, too, with my commitment to my classes.  He's wanted to be a pilot since he was a little boy, so I'm sooooo very excited for him.  Any tips for making it any less stressful for him (or you) during flight school?? 

As far as the wedding, we have quite a bit done and quite a bit to be done.  I live in NY and my sister and my best friend are in WI, so I went there to find my dress back in June.  The first dress that I ever tried on was THE dress.  :)  We also found the bridesmaids dress the same day!  They will be wearing Mori Lee #261 in fuschia.  The ceremony will be at the local botanical gardens, and the reception will be at a local hotel ballroom!

BTW, I love your pic.  It is so cute, and it looks like such a playful, loving moment between the 2 of you. 
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    bahahaha you sound like a total creeper ggirl :) amazing. <3

prettyirish that's so exciting!! Where will he do flight school?
    H went to
    P-cola
    Enid
    JAX
    corpus

You would think they could just.. put it all in the same place.. haha
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    prettyirishgirl:  Will you be able to be near him??   When are you getting married????

ggirl:  YES!  I am in Buffalo!  Did you have your wedding in the Buffalo area??  That sand looks pretty white to be from around here! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived in buffalo my entire life until I moved to sc in April. Our wedding was in st. Pete beach fl. It was awesome! FTL I am a total creeper it's ok. Also my H was at pcola for a bit as well. Not a pilot but he's an airframer. Back to op are you from blo or just there for schooling and such? Also I'm on my phone so sorry if this is all screwy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome :) How exciting! My FI has put in for the STA-21 program (USN), hoping for flight school as well. :)
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome! Good ol' TBS. I remember those days :-) I was luckily living in N. VA at the time my DH was in Quntico. The botanical gardens sound beautiful!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ggirl:  I came to Buffalo for college (D'Youville) from WI.  I have loved it, but I am excited that it's my last winter of driving in this snow for awhile.  Do you miss it?

firemedicrr:  Please forgive me, because I'm still learning about the military...but is the STA-21 program like the OCS/TBS program?  I'll send some positive thoughts your way for him to get flight school!  I know my fiance had to wait a while for his paperwork/physical to go through.

sofiabrian:  He tells me that it will be more like "school" than OCS, and I will be able to speak to him more often than OCS.  Depending on when he leaves, he may still be in TBS for our wedding.  He has assured me that he will be able to be in Buffalo for our wedding (kind of important!!!)  BUT, we have been sure to have a clause in all of our contracts, just in case. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ESalaam & FTL: He will do his program at Rucker (AL) it is where the army does all of their flight and WOC training. so in a way it is all in the same place for the army, just not all branches.

We are 6 hours apart. I am in New Orleans and right now we are about 30 minutes apart because I'm in Dothan for his WOC graduation and some army classes (yay financial and etiquette at 8 am tomorrow!!!!). he also has wanted to do this forever (dad and prother are also army flight). He already has his private stuff finished, but that doesn't count so he has to do it again, so this go round he isn't doing fixed wing because apparently he likes to go around in things that were never meant to fly in the first place.

Recommendations for the flt school thing: although he hasn't started yet i've had some friends go through this program and also navy and airforce flight school. It is usually very time consuming and leaves them with very little time during classes, but when they have leave they are usually really good about letting them do whatever it takes to spend time with their families because they know they don't get that during the classes. I am taking classes online for part of his courses so that I can travel to see him to make it a little easier, but we will also have a time when we are both in class where i foresee it being a lot like deployment as far as how much we can talk. The good news is it is all temporary. I'd try just to take advantage of all the time you do have together and I have to try hard for this one, but let him off the hook if he doesn't call or get back to you like he said he would (my FI is like a chicken with his head cut off right now)

His program is about a year and a half plus the 2-4 months of other classes/programs they require before flight - some easier then others. Two courses are no contact for about a month and one is just intense but they stay home. Our wedding isn't for forever. We are waiting until he gets his new orders and has been there for 6 months so it will be the summer of 13 probably around the end of july. We didnt' want to book anything while he is in flight and we didn't want to try and match up with his graduation, because it is common for them to move forward or back by even a full month or more. We may change the plans, but my family is very religious and we wanted to have a church wedding. There was no way to do it how we wanted between him starting school and our engagement so 2 years it is. :)

random advice: If the USMC is like the army right now they are looking for anything and everything to remove people from the programs because they have to many people. That includes being really pushy about leave, any traffic ticket, other things I can't remember. They have removed multiple people from FI's program already and it hasn't even started. They also took people out of his current class and the two classes following his are less then half the size of his. So to make it easier for him I will probably visit much more then he comes to see me to eliminate some of the stress that he will have from the programs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    irish, I must be doing the same hike on I-10 as you sometimes. I live in Tallahassee and commute to NOLA for wedding stuff periodically. Enjoy Dothan!;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    your having your wedding in NOLA? where are - i must have missed something/forgot - typical me.

This is my first time staying off post here and my first time to rucker in probably 7 or more years so maybe we will start passing each other more.

yeah there's a hobby lobby here - i cant say how exciting that is. I hope I do all i did on sunday was go on and off post so all i saw was the stupid 20 minute drive back and forth - the people at the gate just stopped checking my car I was going in and out so much.

exciting side note for anyone who has to go to Rucker - If you aren't married sometimes it can be a pain to get on post (Lewis-McCord was the worst I've ever had to do) and this one is like a drive through!! I don't even have to get out my car! no taking numbers or giving out your social and explaining every living detail of trying to get on, or having to call the building and get an ok from someone in the office that you are supposed to be there. And since i"m back in the south no one things my LA drivers license is a fake - really.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_hello-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f2d1d13-fe29-49a3-ab34-4502c3af5048Post:c821dea4-5b65-4ebf-ab33-5eca9939539b">Re: Hello!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ggirl:  I came to Buffalo for college (D'Youville) from WI.  I have loved it, but I am excited that it's my last winter of driving in this snow for awhile.  Do you miss it? firemedicrr:  Please forgive me, because I'm still learning about the military...but is the STA-21 program like the OCS/TBS program?  I'll send some positive thoughts your way for him to get flight school!  I know my fiance had to wait a while for his paperwork/physical to go through.  sofiabrian:  He tells me that it will be more like "school" than OCS, and I will be able to speak to him more often than OCS.  Depending on when he leaves, he may still be in TBS for our wedding.  He has assured me that he will be able to be in Buffalo for our wedding (kind of important!!!)  BUT, we have been sure to have a clause in all of our contracts, just in case. 
    Posted by ESalaam787[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I miss the food and family and friends, not the weather. I figured you were at D'youville when you said PT :) What's your favorite part about buffalo? 

</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...that's a tough one.  It was a pretty big adjustment going from "the city of parks" in WI to the west side of Buffalo, but I've grown to love it here.  The food is fantastic and everything that's not good for you.  :)  I think that most people have a good attitude towards helping each other here...maybe because a lot of people have struggled a bit.  They are trying to make some changes to make the city more attractive, too.  My fiance's commissioning was at the Naval Park, and it was the first time I had been down there.  It was great, and you could tell that they have really tried to get more people down to the marina! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards