Wedding Woes
Options

Clearly, she's trying to bait you into leaving.

Dear Prudence,

I live in a two-bedroom apartment with another woman in her 30s. We’ve been here for a year and a half, we’re both clean and considerate and laid-back, and our modest-but-beautiful apartment is the first place that’s really felt like home. She recently told me that she’s miserable living here. It all started because she wanted to get a second cat. I’ve told her no in the past, but she keeps asking. We’re not even supposed to have any pets in the first place, and I think our place is too small for two animals. She asked if my answer was black-and-white, and I said yes. She said it was black-and-white for her too, because a second cat is apparently essential to her first cat’s well-being. I told her she should have considered all this when she adopted the cat in the first place.

Now she’s saying that she thinks people who live together have an obligation to engage at all times, which I do not. She says she is “existentially against human beings acting like islands.” We do talk regularly, but I’ll admit I prefer keeping to myself. I work in customer service and enjoy my alone time. She says that my attitude makes us fundamentally incompatible as roommates and she could not trust me and implied that I should move out. She said living with me is the worst living situation she’s been in since her ex-wife “ruined her life.” My roommate never previously communicated any of her expectations or problems with me. She said she’s been feeling like this for a whole year!

We are at a standstill because neither of us want to leave the apartment. I’ve never loved living with her, but it is definitely possible, and I could continue to do so. We are supposed to hash out who is leaving and when. We are both on the lease and split the deposit and broker fee 50/50, and I said I didn’t want to discuss who “deserves” to stay. She keeps talking about her recent difficulties and trying to interrogate me about my financial situation and my job. I’m sorry she’s unhappy, and I don’t want her to feel uncomfortable, but I love this apartment, I like our landlord, and she’s free to leave if she needs a more “emotionally present” roommate. What should I do?

—I Prefer Islands

Re: Clearly, she's trying to bait you into leaving.

• Options
    Yeh. Roomie wants to live solo, or with someone more their personality.
  • Options
    The roommate can and probably should just move out, but I think they’re both a bit responsible for this situation. It sounds like the roommate was doing the decent thing and talking to LW about getting another cat and LW shot it down. But LW doesn’t actually want to talk/engage with the roommate about things, but also made a decision about the cat that impacted both of them. I get it, it’s both of their places but I can see how the roommate is upset. What if she’d just gotten a cat on her separate roommate island, what would the LW have said then? 
  • Options
    I would just say that you are happy with the current arrangement, which was initially agreed upon by both parties, and that since roommate is the unhappy one, they can move.  At no point does LW need to share their finances with the roommate either.  If LW can afford the apartment alone for a bit, until they can find a new roommate, then LW should encourage the roommate to leave.
  • Options
    Ideally, IMHO, the roommate is the one who should leave. She's unhappy, and she wants a second cat when they're not even supposed to have the first one. She should move out and find a roommate who will be more engaging than LW if that's so important to her. 

But since life doesn't always work out quite the way it should, LW should keep her eyes open for a possible new living situation, since I have a feeling roommate will just keep digging in her heels on all of this. I hate to tell someone to take the bait, but I doubt this situation is going to get any better.
  • Options
    Roommate sounds really dramatic.  LW should tell roomie (and possibly put into writing) what she said here, that she finds living together possible.  The one with the problems should be the one to loOK elsewhere...hope the roommate doesn't start making LWs life miserable.
  • Options
    "I'm happy with the current situation, so I won't be moving. You're free to stay with me or to move out at the end of our lease. Please let me know when you make a decision." 

Then save up the money to cover 1-2 months rent alone just in case. 
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    If they are not supposed to have pets in the first place, isn't this roommate on shaky footing?  All LW needs to do is mention to the landlord that there is a current cat there, and an imminent cat on the way.  I'd be talking to the roommate about that first and say that I would not be jeopardizing my stay in that apartment just so that she could get another cat.  If this roommate loves cats and is in a pet free apartment, she is in the wrong apartment.
    I thought about this, but I think LW would suffer consequences too b/c the lease violation would hit both of them.  LW sounds like they want to stay, so avoiding that might be more desirable.
  • Options
    If they weren't supposed to get a cat (or have pets), LW should have never agreed to the first one in the first place.   

I'm curious to know how LW came to have this roommate.  Was this a friend of a friend situation or straight up strangers?  The roommate definitely seems to want more from her living partner and that makes this not a good fit.  LW needs to stand firm with roommate on no more animals and the boundaries of their relationship.  

This whole situation makes my skin feel creepy-crawly because I hate when I'm made to feel uncomfortable in my own home or that I can't be myself in my own space.  I really think LW should think about a different living situation when the lease is up, even if it means they need to move out.  In the meantime, they need to try and get roommate to shut up or get out.  
  • Options
    LW needs to handle this bluntly:

-I am comfortable in this location and you clearly want to do things that are also outside the terms of the lease.   Let's talk about an exit plan for you.

• Options
    I agree with @banana468.  It's really as simple as that and I would keep the same few lines handy and keep rinsing repeating.  Like, "I am very happy with our arrangement and with the apartment.  I am sorry that you are not and I wish that was different.  I understand if you choose to leave, but I have no reason to."

As an aside, there are landlords out there who fear cat destruction more than even the biggest dogs.  There are few things more destructive to property than an incontinent cat (I realize the LW didn't say that was a problem).  It's even worse than an incontinent dog.  There's a substance in it that is supposed to be extra strong smelling.  So, it's a hard smell to get rid of and, if the problem is left unchecked, a cat's urine will even eat away at a sub-floor. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @banana468.  It's really as simple as that and I would keep the same few lines handy and keep rinsing repeating.  Like, "I am very happy with our arrangement and with the apartment.  I am sorry that you are not and I wish that was different.  I understand if you choose to leave, but I have no reason to."

As an aside, there are landlords out there who fear cat destruction more than even the biggest dogs.  There are few things more destructive to property than an incontinent cat (I realize the LW didn't say that was a problem).  It's even worse than an incontinent dog.  There's a substance in it that is supposed to be extra strong smelling.  So, it's a hard smell to get rid of and, if the problem is left unchecked, a cat's urine will even eat away at a sub-floor. 
    I remember seeing the looks on my dad's face when he helped my aunt and uncle move into their new home and he knew without asking that the prior owners had cats, the cats were in the basement and they kept the littler boxes near the furnace.