Wedding Etiquette Forum

PPD with only the couple?

I'm not sure if this post is in the right section. If not, my apologies and please move the thread to the correct section. 

My husband and I eloped nearly 10 years ago. It was awful for many reasons. In fact, our whole wedding experience was marred by nasty family members and serious financial constraints. 

When we reach our 15th anniversary, we would like to renew our vows in Scotland or Paris. It would be lavish but only for the two of us. We're going to dress up as well. We want to celebrate by taking an amazing trip, having better pictures, and enjoying a very romantic celebration of our anniversary by reaffirming our vows. 

I know that this board is against Pretty Princess Days and with good reason.
However, I'm wondering what the general consensus is on PPDs in which only the couple is involved. 

Re: PPD with only the couple?

• You aren't inviting other people, you aren't sending formal invitations or having a reception. To me this is a destination vow renewal between you and your husband. Have fun getting dressed up and having beautiful pictures taken while there. I wouldn't consider this a PPD at all.
    Thank you so much for your support. 

I think PPD are very gauche. Couples get ONE wedding day. 

I just thought this would be a PPD because we're dressing up like a bride and groom and cutting a small cake together. Isn't that pretending to get married again? 
  • You aren't inviting other people, you aren't sending formal invitations or having a reception. To me this is a destination vow renewal between you and your husband. Have fun getting dressed up and having beautiful pictures taken while there. I wouldn't consider this a PPD at all.
    Thank you so much for your support. 

I think PPD are very gauche. Couples get ONE wedding day. 

I just thought this would be a PPD because we're dressing up like a bride and groom and cutting a small cake together. Isn't that pretending to get married again? 

You are NOT pretending to get married.  You are renewing valid wedding vows.  What you and your husband do privately is 100% your choice!
    A PPD is when a couple, who are already secretly wed, invite guests to a mock/farce ceremony pretending to be wed for the first time
    Your plan sounds lovely, romantic, and exciting!
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2020
    This wouldn't be a PPD at all. This would be something just for you and your husband  to celebrate your love and your years together. A trip to Scotland or Paris with a vow renewal sounds like a romantic, wonderful way to mark a big anniversary. Go for it! 
  • Go for it!   If the only other person to be on board is your H who cares?  If you're concerned about opinions don't post it on social media.   Just make it a great trip where you have a great time and renew your vows.   

In this case the opinion of anyone else is not relevant any more than they get to tell you whether you're "doing it" right.   It's an intimate plan for the two of you.
  • This doesn't sound like a PPD, since nobody would be involved but you and your husband. I think what you have in mind sounds lovely and romantic. Enjoy!
  • This is a vow renewal, not a PPD. You’re not inviting other people, hiding your marriage, or having a reception. Enjoy! 

• I thought that I was having a PPD because we are essentially reenacting our wedding day in terms of dress, cake cutting, a ceremony, and a first dance. We're just not inviting any guests. 

To be honest, we did talk about including many guests and referring to it as a vow renewal. I just kept thinking that we would look very foolish and self indulgent. It's better to keep such a celebration between us when we're already married. 

In any case, I greatly appreciate the honest advice.