Wedding Woes

Anyone here?

I’m home and just finished watching season 3 of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The end was hard to watch with the Apollo show. 

Weekend was good, saw Jesus Christ Superstar Friday night with my mom. It was really good but the vocals were really tough to hear so that was bummer. 

Other than that weekend was kind of quiet we were supposed to do dinner Saturday but H forgot to make reservations and I didn’t feel good enough to go out last night. 

Re: Anyone here?

• I'm here. I've never had President's Day off from work. Whomp whomp. However, there was no traffic today so that's always a bonus. 

Had a good weekend even though I was still recovering from a cold. We ordered in Friday. 
    Saturday we went to see my cousin and her family. She just had a baby over the holidays so it was fun to catch up. 
    Sunday we all went to see the house my brother and SIL are buying (me and H, my parents, and SIL's parents) and then all went out to lunch after. 

I'm leaving for Mexico next week and already have vacation brain. 
  • Work today, boo. At least traffic was great this morning. Weekend was had some ups and downs. On Saturday I got my IUD, and that turned into a production. The practitioner left the strings insanely long so I had to go back to get them trimmed and they didn’t want to see me again. And then they said since it was less than seven business days the next appointment I could make on Saturday would have to be out of pocket. I was livid. I was able to advocate and get back in same day though. But Jesus, it did not have to be so complicated. Luckily I had a facial afterwards that was really relaxing. 

Sunday we got guilted into going to my grandmother’s 93rd birthday party (the side of the family I don’t talk to any more). I went for my dad’s sake. It went okay. We stayed a little longer than I’d wanted to, but we made it out in time to have some of the afternoon left. Then we met up for appetizers and drinks with FSIL and her FI. It was kind of an emotionally draining weekend. I’m looking forward to next weekend though. FSIL and I have plans to brunch and then go shopping which should be fun. 

• I'm here.  My old firm took President's day, b/c no 3 day weekends or breaks from January to June was starting to bother the bosses.  I don't know any other local firms that take it off.

I had a horrible weekend.  Basically, K is sick w/"flu-like symptoms", but tested negative for the flu.  They came home with a cough medicine, but that was it.  IDK if UC didn't check, didn't ask, or what, but we think there's a medication interaction going since Friday.  Unfortunately, the symptoms are similar to their flu-like symptoms and similar to when K is in a manic episode, so I didn't really understand what was happening until Sunday afternoon.  They're with their mother and going to UC at 11:00, so hopefully we can get some answers. 

On top  of this, my old ED battles?  Coming back around.  There was a unanimous vote of no-confidence by the board and she was asked to resign.  She has not gone quietly into the night and has pushed the community center to the brink of dissolution at the annual meeting.  A plan is forming to hopefully save the center at the annual meeting, which I (of course) am involved in.  I'm not really looking forward to it but there seems to have been a significant culture shift.  I also cannot step back and let the center dissolve and live with myself.  We'll see what happens at that annual meeting (March 1).  I have had a number of my previous board members reach out to me with apologies for not seeing what I was warning them all about a year and a half ago.  I reviewed my resignation letter from November 2018.  In that letter, I said the ED was robbing the center blind from a salary while doing nothing in her job and the center would have 2 years left before teetering on the precipice of closing.  And here we are...i was just a few months off.  I'm extremely unhappy that I was right, TBH.

So yeah, I had a shitty weekend and i'm actually glad to be at work right now.
  • I got a late start this morning. 

The weekend was good – We got the registry done and I feel like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Who knew babies needed so much? 

I was really surprised by how rude some of the women in the store were. 

• There was a group of women who spent 40 minutes looking at one stroller (it’s fine, but there were like 4 people waiting to review the item).
    • There were other women using the sales associate as a personal shopper. 
    • There was another woman who walked away from a crib and when H and I went to look at it, came back with a stuffed toy and a blanket and basically shoved us out of the way to place the items in the crib. She wanted to get a feel for what the baby would look like.  It was bizarre. 

SSDD here at the office - I think I'll get a cheesesteak for lunch!

• @VarunaTT, I hope K gets some real answers and starts feeling better.  I also hope everything works out with the center and it doesn't have to dissolve.  It's terrible the ED has run it into the ground, but is still fighting back.  I know it's tough to admit failure but, unanimous?  Come on.  

Yep, I'm at work today also.  I was able to relax a bit this weekend.  I needed it.  But I'm still stressed out about some tenant issues and our rehab.

The fairly new tenant I wrote a long post about last week is getting help from a national charity.  I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but they told both her and myself that they will be taking care of her past due (partial) Jan. rent, as well as her full Feb. rent.  I e-mailed some paperwork they needed from me out this morning, and also asked approximately when I can expect to see the direct deposit.  So far, they've been pretty prompt with everything else they've done so, fingers crossed!, they will get it sent to me this week.

It is with sadness I've come to realize that I need to give a 30-Day Notice to Vacate to some other tenants (big sigh).  This will actually be the first time I've ever had to do that for a lease violation, that is outside of rent problems.  They pay the rent on time (or at least within a few days), but they are just God-Awful neighbors.  I have given them so many verbal warnings over the last couple months.  I finally issued a 5-Day Cure or Quit, over a week ago.  Both for noise complaints and also because I know they have people living there who aren't on the lease.  Which, yeah, I think that's part of the problem they have so many noise complaints.  There are too many people living there.  Yet I just had another noise complaint on Thurs.!

I've witnessed myself they will play their music at full blast with the front door open and only the screen door closed.  Why do I even have to tell people once that is rude AF, much less tell them repeatedly?  I just give up.  Either they don't understand how to be good and considerate neighbors...or don't care...but I'm tired of explaining it and the problem doesn't get resolved.  It's just so frustrating because it's NOT that hard!

Unfortunately, having them leave is going to cause me a whole host of other problems and hassles (sigh).  But it's a worse scenario to have them stay any longer than I am legally required to keep them.  I just need to finally bite the bullet and do it.  Oh well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How bizarre @NBSquared2017 I never had experiences like that thankfully. Was this at Buy Buy Baby or a similar type store?
  • @short+sassy are they close to where you actually live? If not, how do you hear about the noise issues - are police called? 
  • @kvruns - it was Buy Buy Baby. The whole registry experience is overwhelming, so I admit I walked into it a little off-kilter, but even H was like...are we not taking this serious enough? It was so strange!
  • @kvruns - it was Buy Buy Baby. The whole registry experience is overwhelming, so I admit I walked into it a little off-kilter, but even H was like...are we not taking this serious enough? It was so strange!
    we had no idea what to register for either. I did register at a few places in part part to get the goodie bags so I'd have lots of different bottles to try. But the reality is barely anything was even bought off our registry so it felt useless anyway. I always try to buy from the registry even if it isn't a "fun" item but I feel like most people just buy cute outfits and toys. At least you can get a registry completion discount for stuff if people don't buy it for you. 
  • kvruns said:
    @kvruns - it was Buy Buy Baby. The whole registry experience is overwhelming, so I admit I walked into it a little off-kilter, but even H was like...are we not taking this serious enough? It was so strange!
    we had no idea what to register for either. I did register at a few places in part part to get the goodie bags so I'd have lots of different bottles to try. But the reality is barely anything was even bought off our registry so it felt useless anyway. I always try to buy from the registry even if it isn't a "fun" item but I feel like most people just buy cute outfits and toys. At least you can get a registry completion discount for stuff if people don't buy it for you. 
    Yes! We registered for items we need at Buy Buy Baby (crib, stroller, etc.) and items we want at Target. Thankfully my mom and sister gave some sound advice. There is so much stuff they want you to put down. 

I don't see it necessary to register for toddler items and she's not here yet. I think we have a pretty solid list, but I'll probably go through and trim the lists as not to seem too greedy  :|
  • kvruns said:
    @kvruns - it was Buy Buy Baby. The whole registry experience is overwhelming, so I admit I walked into it a little off-kilter, but even H was like...are we not taking this serious enough? It was so strange!
    Yes! We registered for items we need at Buy Buy Baby (crib, stroller, etc.) and items we want at Target. Thankfully my mom and sister gave some sound advice. There is so much stuff they want you to put down. 

I don't see it necessary to register for toddler items and she's not here yet. I think we have a pretty solid list, but I'll probably go through and trim the lists as not to seem too greedy  :|
    I haven’t even started thinking about a registry yet! Now I’m overwhelmed
  • I am here, just haven't had a chance to chat yet.  Weekend was short since I worked on Saturday.  I went to see the movie "Shazam" at my library since they play recently released movies for free.  It was hilarious - good times!  Other than that, just working on the Family Day holiday.  Hubby has it off and is using it to get ahead on work.  Might visit MIL tonight to check in on her.

• Not much here. We had some friends over Saturday. Dinner was delicious - H grilled a beef tenderloin. I made chocolate pot di creme for dessert which turned out pretty darn good if I do say so. Yesterday, I took it easy. I've started going through my thousands of pictures (40+ years worth) to get rid of ones I don't care about any longer. I could black mail some high school and college friends LOL!

Re:baby registry (wedding too for that matter) I always try to buy from the registries so that I know what the couple really wants. It is so much easier that way. After a baby is born, I will often get an outfit (in a larger size) as a gift. I know DD appreciated larger clothes since most people buy the little ones.
  • Not much here. We had some friends over Saturday. Dinner was delicious - H grilled a beef tenderloin. I made chocolate pot di creme for dessert which turned out pretty darn good if I do say so. Yesterday, I took it easy. I've started going through my thousands of pictures (40+ years worth) to get rid of ones I don't care about any longer. I could black mail some high school and college friends LOL!

Re:baby registry (wedding too for that matter) I always try to buy from the registries so that I know what the couple really wants. It is so much easier that way. After a baby is born, I will often get an outfit (in a larger size) as a gift. I know DD appreciated larger clothes since most people buy the little ones.
    I've got a secret registry full of clothing...I'm waiting on that completion discount!
  • kvruns said:
    @short+sassy are they close to where you actually live? If not, how do you hear about the noise issues - are police called? 
    No, they aren't close to where we live.  This is the "other side" from the tenant I evicted in Dec.  That tenant complained 3 times about those neighbors.  But the first time was Halloween night (last year), so I figured that was just a one-off.  I told her, next time, the best thing to do was to call the police.  Typically, no one gets in trouble, but it drives home the point they are being too loud.

She complained to me a second time around mid-Nov.  I told her I'd pass along a message.  But I reminded her that she really needs to be calling the police.   TBH, she was a pot-stirrer who was already circling the drain with her rent.  She made racist comments about them when they first moved in.  So I took whatever she said with MAJOR grains of salt.  Her last weekend there (in Dec.), after she'd already been evicted, she sent me one last tirade e-mail about how loud they were though, this time, she included a video that was taken by her door (not theirs) supposedly taken around 1AM.  It was WTF!  They were chanting and playing drums (sounded like the kind you hold, not a drum set).

After she was gone, we were spending a good bit of time in the other unit doing clean-up/repairs.  And then doing showings.  So we did witness the problem ourselves on numerous occasions.  And asked them to keep down and sometimes needed to do that more than once on the same occasion.  Explained the noise level needed to remain within their walls.

I even warned the "main" tenant of that family group that, there were new tenants moving in next door on Feb. 1st.  That they'd let their noise level get way too loud with no one living there, but now that needed to stop.  We got complaints from the new tenants the very next morning.  I reminded the "main" tenant again that I am not tolerating those kind of noise levels and she needs to get it under control.  I also told her we'd be posting a 5-Day Cure or Quit notice the next day.  The night before we did that, some of the people moved out.  We were hoping they'd been the instigators but, apparently not.

In fact, we were even at that house the last Sat. (Feb. 7th) to replace a stove.  Some guy...doesn't even live there...someone's friend.  Was in the middle of the driveway.  Blaring the radio in his car.  Exactly the kind of, not just loud, but rude behavior I'd repeatedly been warning that tenant about.  It's also both in my lease, my warnings, and the official 5-Day Cure or Quit that they are responsible for the actions of their guests.  They just don't get it and, since I can't teach common sense and good manners to grown adults or especially their children/teenagers, then they need to go annoy neighbors elsewhere.

It's actually an even longer story than that, but that's the majority of it.  Bottom line.  My last tenants complained.  My new tenants complained.  We've witnessed ourselves how outrageous the noise level can be, so it's not just other people being "too sensitive" to noise.  We've told the new tenants they should call the police, but they are too reticent to do that.  And, if this was just a "once in awhile" thing, that's what I'd keep telling them to do.  But it isn't once in awhile and nothing else I've done has worked, so they need to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker