Wedding Woes

Am I being unrealistic about my hair?

edited February 2020 in Wedding Woes
I've been non-stop stressing about my hair! My first trial was horrible and the second trial was better but still bad. I decided to go to my usual hair stylist who cuts and curls my hair and he did a way better job and is only charging me like $60. That's like nothing compared to the $300 average I've seen for trials, hair, and travel which literally made me sick.

Anyway, I like his work but I keep thinking about how it doesn't look like the Pinterest photo where it pins/weaves at the top. I have a hair accessory that will sit there so maybe it shouldn't matter. I've tried searching other stylists before him and they made it sound like they can try but can't promise it'll be the same. I can't keep spending money on stylists for a FOURTH or FIFTH to try to find the perfect one.

Am I being too picky? It looks similar enough right? (I forgot to fix my hair piece so that's why it's bunched up lol)

The right photo is 9 hours after working and running around so I think it held up okay lol.

Re: Am I being unrealistic about my hair?

• I think it held up well for 9 hours! And honestly, I think the second photo looks quite similar to the Pinterest one. You look beautiful! 

Can you be more specific about what you don’t like? The only real differences I can see is that the Pinterest one has a little more volume and there are more individual curls than the big curls you have. Like the Pinterest one has smaller but more curls, you have larger/fewer if that makes sense. 

I think no one is ever going to have the exact same hair as the Pinterest model. If you want your stylist (or another one) to make changes you have to be really specific about what you do/don’t like, but also be prepared for them to say it’s not possible (or they’ll get as close as they can). 
  • I think the bottom right photo looks amazing!  It's a lot like the Pinterest pic.  And that was 9 hours after you had it done?  Wow!  I'd go with that stylist.

Don't drive yourself nuts over the smallest details and expect perfection.  That goes for your hair and everything else, because it can set you up for disappointment.  Not everything will be perfect and that's okay.  If you and your FI get married and you all and your guests are happy...then it's already a perfect day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Along with all the great advice above, don't forget that they photoshop hair too.  So those pinterest models probably had flyaways and other imperfections.  Also, they probably sat there to be photographed vs. putting their hair through a real day (wedding or not).  I think the bottom right is gorgeous and your hair is going to look great on your wedding day. 
  • I agree with the PPs. As I commented on your other thread, Pinterest is an idealization not reality. Go with what you think looks best on you and makes you feel beautiful. No one will know if it is like the Pinterest picture or not. Don't stress over this - life is too short as is your wedding day! Enjoy your day and the process. You will be a beautiful bride especially if you aren't stressing over all the teeny tiny details.
  • edited February 2020
    Just the braiding/pinning part. I feel like maybe it should be a bit more intricate around that area? But I will have a hair accessory and a veil at the ceremony so it might not even really matter. Sorry I'm such a bridezilla over HAIR! I'm not sure why I stressed over this but you all have made me calmed down a bit. 
  • (it's recommended to put XP on a post such as this)

Stop overthinking!  Go with your normal stylist, your FI will be marrying you whether your hair is in a messy bun or beautifully done by either stylist you've used for both of your trials.  Your hair is your hair, the pinterest models do not have the same type of hair that you do which is going to impact the outcome.  Even if they did have the same type of hair that you do, they do not have YOUR hair which is going to behave like your hair.  All hairstyles relax after so many hours, especially the longer the hair is.  Sure, you may need to "fluff and spray" before going to the reception, but really, your hair is going to look great on your wedding day, it's o.k. to relax!
  • MesmrEwe said:
    (it's recommended to put XP on a post such as this)

Stop overthinking!  Go with your normal stylist, your FI will be marrying you whether your hair is in a messy bun or beautifully done by either stylist you've used for both of your trials.  Your hair is your hair, the pinterest models do not have the same type of hair that you do which is going to impact the outcome.  Even if they did have the same type of hair that you do, they do not have YOUR hair which is going to behave like your hair.  All hairstyles relax after so many hours, especially the longer the hair is.  Sure, you may need to "fluff and spray" before going to the reception, but really, your hair is going to look great on your wedding day, it's o.k. to relax!

^^Nothing is created equally!!  The volume, thickness, texture will alter outcomes.  Weather can make or break a hairstyle.  Products can make a difference.  For all you know, that Pinterest model could have hair extensions or other "fake" hair.  Personally, I would feel more confident going with my typical stylist in the salon I feel most comfortable. 
  • I think your hair looks amazing!  Especially after 9 hours!  I would go with your stylist who knows your hair and is cheap compared to the other people you have inquired about!  Also, you may need to have dirty hair to get some of that volume - check to see what your stylist prefers for the type of hair you want.

Your hair is probably very different than the type that the model has.  I have very thin and fine hair, sometimes it cannot even hold a curl!  I actually have a set of stunt hair that I have used for weddings to help give me some volume!  When I was a bridesmaid and for my own wedding, I always have my stunt hair ready to go!  I let the stylist know that I have it and they can use as little or as much as they want to give me the volume needed to complete my up do!

I don't remember spending this much on them (I've had them for 10 years now!) but these are what I have and use. clicky
  • @OliveOilsMom, I love the phrase "stunt hair", lol.

I have really long hair, all the way down my back.  The length makes it too heavy to hold a curl for long.  Now I need to vent about my own wedding hair, lol.

I did my hair trial with my normal stylist...from back in the day when I lived in CA...but she had a medical emergency later that night and was not going to be available for my wedding day.  She arranged for a different stylist from her salon to take care of my hair.  I was wearing most of it down, but with big, beautiful curls from mid-way down to the ends.

The "plan" that my normal stylist and I had worked out was she was going to do everything, except take out the curlers.  I'd take those out myself about 30 minutes before the ceremony.  But "new" stylist INSISTED she take them out before I left.  I argued with her multiple times.  Explaining my hair.  Pointing out that was what the other stylist (who was very familiar with my hair) had planned.  But I finally gave in because she was starting to ruin my morning.

I didn't realize it until I saw the pics later of me walking to the aisle.  But, not only had all my curls fallen out, but it also left my hair looking like it had not even been brushed.  Ugh and meh!

The irony for me was that my hair is one of my best features.  I've been complimented on it my whole life.  I never have a bad hair day because, on the day-to-day, I keep it simple.  Just brush it and done or put it in a ponytail/barrette or a bun.  But then, of all things, that was what went wrong on my wedding day, lmao.

@honeybunchesok, even with the bad hair story.  It did not diminish from my wedding day at all or tarnish my memories either!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy - I can't take credit for stunt hair!  The person who runs Dingo's Hamsterwatch website, which follow the day to day of the Big Brother house, uses that phrase!  They always talk about when the "hamsters" are putting in their stunt hair or when its found laying around the BB house!

And harkening back to my own wedding, I didn't even have a trial!  I just had my hair stylist do whatever.  I wanted it half up, but left the rest up to her.  It came out great.  My only regret was that I had self-trimmed my bangs a few weeks before and they were still a smidge too short - stunt hair couldn't fix that!
  • edited February 2020
    Thanks all, I don't know where my obsession came from with my hair. This is the pickiest I've been on a wedding task LOL. I think because my mom kept saying it was too simple, I need to do this, or kept pointing out how the Pinterest photo was so beautiful. I kept being decisiveness on a style also... My hair is thick and heavy by the way. I have extensions to use but my hair was already heavy being pinned up and to the side...my neck actually ached after several hours! I don't know if that's normal.

I did end up asking some stylists about that skillset and they said it still depended on the texture and how it would hold but it did look like some kind of weaved in pins which I'd like something to give it more depth rather than just pinned if you know what I mean so I'll seek an alternative, that is the only SLIGHT part which I'd change. 

Thanks everyone.
  • @honeybunchesok My first thing I always tell people - is that there will be one thing when planning a wedding that will make you want to die on this hill. {for me it was centerpieces}

You will later laugh at yourself and use it as an example.

Keep coming back. We'd all love to see the finished look on your wedding day :)
  • edited February 2020
     :D Lol what was wrong with the centerpieces? I hope I laugh at this. I'm already getting over it. I even ended up FINDING the stylist of that hairdo and asked her on Instagram about this hair because she does tutorials but her English was limited hahaha! She was Russian, but she just said nothing special just pins for the "weaving" part.Everything she does looks amazing though, wow. Lenabogucharskaya is her IG.