Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Live Streaming Ceremony at Reception site?

We are thinking about having an intimate ceremony of 12-18 people (immediate family, small bridal party only) at a small overlook in CO, but still want to have other family and friends celebrate with us. Would it be weird to live stream the ceremony while everyone else was at the reception? The overlook is tiny, so I know most people will understand, but I just wanted to get other opinions. Most people will be traveling out of town, but the reception site would be within 20 mins of the airport. 

Re: Live Streaming Ceremony at Reception site?

• Options
    I wouldn't like that as a guest. I would want to be at the actual ceremony. If the overlook is special, why don't you do pictures there before the ceremony then have the ceremony at the reception venue?
  • Options
    Kendriiid said:
    We are thinking about having an intimate ceremony of 12-18 people (immediate family, small bridal party only) at a small overlook in CO, but still want to have other family and friends celebrate with us. Would it be weird to live stream the ceremony while everyone else was at the reception? The overlook is tiny, so I know most people will understand, but I just wanted to get other opinions. Most people will be traveling out of town, but the reception site would be within 20 mins of the airport. 
    My interpretation of this scenario is that if I am not good enough to see you marry in person, why would I want to view it via a "live stream"?  It seems insulting, especially if I am traveling out of town to attend.  The only thing I would "understand" as a guest is that you put a location over my presence.  You need to choose whether you want a small and intimate wedding or a larger one, and select a ceremony and reception venue that accommodates ALL guests.
    I agree with @ILoveBeachMusic that your ceremony spot should be used for pictures, and the wedding ceremony needs to be a spot that can include all invited guests.  Your wedding is ONE COMPLETE event of a ceremony AND reception.

• Options
    Agree that this feels insulating, and much like a consolation prize. 
  • Options
    It would definitely be weird, and possibly insulting to guests who are traveling out of town to see you married. Find a way to have everyone attend the ceremony in person. 
  • Options
    Yeah - not a fan.

If you want something intimate then do photos at the intimate location or use that for a first look (something I wish I did!).  

Please don't invite guests to watch you get married on a TV.   IMO live streaming has its place but it's for situations when guests CAN'T  get to see you for logistical/personal issues and not because they weren't welcome to. 
  • Options
    People who have taken the time and expense to fly in for your wedding should get to see you get married in person. Find a ceremony space where everyone can attend.
  • Options
    I'm not into "live streaming" wedding ceremonies either, especially when I was an invited guest. If you want an "intimate wedding," that means that you can't "include" those who are not invited to the ceremony. There's a tradeoff.

If you really want to include these people, especially since some are flying in, then find a venue for the ceremony that can hold them all.
  • Options
    Live streaming is great if you've got Grandma at a nursing home and there's no other possible way that she can be at the wedding itself or guests who are OOT and cannot attend and you know they'd be there if it was close.  

What you want to do is kind of rude.  I'm with the PP in that have pictures done at the Overlook but have the ceremony itself with the guests who have paid thousands to be there from OOT.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:
    I know it's easy to get caught up in the reception, because that requires so much planning and money, but the single most important part of a wedding is the exchange of vows. That is literally why people are there.
    Exactly. I'll be honest - if I was invited to a wedding that I had to take time off from work to attend and had to fly to, and I wasn't even going to get to see the ceremony live, I would not go. I would not fly across the country just to attend a reception.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:
    I know it's easy to get caught up in the reception, because that requires so much planning and money, but the single most important part of a wedding is the exchange of vows. That is literally why people are there.
    Exactly. I'll be honest - if I was invited to a wedding that I had to take time off from work to attend and had to fly to, and I wasn't even going to get to see the ceremony live, I would not go. I would not fly across the country just to attend a reception.
    Exactly! I also would hope you would inform people that they wouldn't actually be attending the ceremony. I would be really pissed if I traveled to find out I only was able to see a live streaming.
  • Options
    PPs all make good points!  I'm not sure you're giving enough credit, from your guests' perspective, as to what the most important part of the day is.  The ceremony!  The reception is actually a party that is the "thank you" to your guests for coming to the ceremony.

But, assuming this is still the plan you all will go with.  Why would your other guests be at the reception site before you all are there anyway?  They are invited to the reception, not the ceremony.  So the time on their invite should be when the reception starts.  Not when the ceremony starts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker