Wedding Woes
Options

Chilly-willy Thursday

I had a great visit with mom last night.  She was doing well and we talked out a lot of things that had been on our hearts and minds, but also just bantered like we normally do.  Fingers X that she gets a 'go home' plan today.  

Driving home was a nightmare.  Slide-offs all over the place.  I had to turn around at one point because I didn't want to wait for the tow truck to pull someone out of the shoulder.  I went to stop to turn on to my street, creeping at 20-25 mph, and still slid about a 1/4 mile and almost into the intersection.  Thankfully, traffic was light. 

DH is FIL today, who's having outpatient surgery.  Mom was sweetly worried about him last night.  

Scrolling Prudie right now.  

Re: Chilly-willy Thursday

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2020
    Scary night, @mrsconn23!  Glad it went well with mom and glad you made it home safe.

This has been a week from hell! Last night, coming home on the SAME hiway my brakes went out - and on the same weekday (Wednesday) my check engine light turned on, rattled my car and slowed down.  I pulled over.  Shut it down.  Started it up again and made it home (I was right at my exit).

i just Ubered it to work today, I had an 8:00 meeting and and the dealership isn’t open till 9.  To busy today to worry about car problems again.  I’ll have it towed tomorrow morning.  Oh btw, this is a 2017 mazda cx3.

• Options
    MrsConn I'm glad you had a good visit. Scary about the drive home though. I had no idea the roads were slick last night though it makes sense

CharmedPam - that is strange they both happened at the same place/day. Hopefully they can figure out the problem soon. Is it still under warranty?
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    MrsConn I'm glad you had a good visit. Scary about the drive home though. I had no idea the roads were slick last night though it makes sense

CharmedPam - that is strange they both happened at the same place/day. Hopefully they can figure out the problem soon. Is it still under warranty?
    I’m sure what’s wrong with it will show up “not under warranty” knowing my luck (bitter about warranty’s) but incase is it a 3 year, (bought it 2.5 years ago) that’s why I’m getting it towed to the dealership. 

• Options
    We are under a blizzard warning today but TVH it’s not that bad yet so H and I trekked into the office. I’m hoping we can duck out early so we’re not trying to drive in rush hour in the dark. It’s probably going to get worse and we should have just WFH but I wasn’t driving myself and he insisted on going in. That’s marriage. I could have stayed home myself but figured it wasn’t too bad. 

Glad you had a good night with Mom @mrsconn23. What are the doctors waiting for before discharging her? 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 I hope they release your mom soon!

We are going from early spring weather back to winter-ish.  Still no snow here though!

I am trying to not be a hypochondriac and keep things in perspective with the coronavirus.   I fly in two weeks and the meeting I was supposed to attend was going to have company reps in from Japan.   Today it was announced that it's now going to be an America -only meeting!  

In April we head to Disney.   I am also crossing my fingers that the only Corona involved in that trip involves lime and I'm DRILLING into myself and the kiddos to keep up the best practices to avoid the spread of germs. 
  • Options
    @mrsconn23, hope your mom is discharged today. Yikes, I'm glad you made it home safe.  Great post title.  It is chilly-willy.  Even where I live.

@CharmedPam, boo to car problems!  Especially for such a relatively new vehicle, smh.  I hope it is still under warranty.  If not or if your warranty is about to expire, I'd recommend looking into an after market warranty.

Safe driving to all the Knotties!  Especially with bad weather going on in some places.

I have two fast food mystery shops to complete by tomorrow.  I'm thinking about doing one of them tonight when I get off work.  Not related to the shop, but I got a coupon flyer for this fast food place in the mail yesterday that was advertising the item I need to buy, lol.  It looks super yummy and is something I'd really want to try.  Mystery shop or not!  Alas, I'm not really allowed to give many details on a public forum.  But there is "garlic butter" involved, which is one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations.  And, from the picture on the coupon flyer, it looks like they are generous with that seasoning.  At least I hope so, lol!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Glad you had a good night with Mom @mrsconn23. What are the doctors waiting for before discharging her? 
    After her Monday scan, they gave her some meds and they did another scan this morning.  Depending on what they see, they'll determine the next steps.  Once they have those in place, then they can start the process of getting her out of there.  They also need to do set up for at home care coordination. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

After her Monday scan, they gave her some meds and they did another scan this morning.  Depending on what they see, they'll determine the next steps.  Once they have those in place, then they can start the process of getting her out of there.  They also need to do set up for at home care coordination. 
    That makes sense, although I’m sure it’s frustrating. If there are no other interventions I’d want to be home in my house as much as I could. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    The snow blowing over the roads, especially county roads, was so bad. It definitely made the road conditions awful even if they were treated.  
  • Options
    @CharmedPam I hope it’s under warranty!

@mrsconn23 that sounds like a scary drive home. Sending you all good vibes. 

SSDD here. I’m so ready for the weekend. I’m starting to feel fatigued. I think I’ll just do light cardio tonight for 30-40 minutes and use it as an active rest day. I might drug myself to sleep tonight with zzquil. I haven’t been sleeping too well. I’ve also gotten migraines the last two days in a row. I suspect it has something to do with stopping my birth control pills. I used to get migraines a day or two before my period would begin and it looks like it might get back to that. My insane sense of smell is back too. Yesterday I was on my usual lunch walk and all of a sudden I thought “it smells like birds. Ugh.” I looked up and there was a single fucking feather on the fence next to me. So that’s going to be fun. 

• Options
    @missJeanLouise that’s awesome if you can stay!
    still keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you @mrsconn23

it’s not under warranty.  I’m 1,000 miles over it! Do I keep the appt at the dealership or at this point just go to my local garage?

• Options
    MrsConn - Glad you had a nice visit with mom and arrived home safely!

MJL - Glad that you guys can stay!

Pam - Go to your mechanic - it will be cheaper!

DDs well visit went great yesterday!  She kept asking where the doctor was when the doctor was in the room.  The nurses wear scrubs and you see them first, the doctors are plain clothes, usually.  It was funny!  But she is hitting all the milestones she needs to!  To think that she was in the "less than 1" category of all her sizes at birth, but now in the 70s!  Keep growing baby!  

Heading to Target at lunch and scrolling through their Circle discounts, I'm probably going to be buying more than I need!  I've got a few projects to finish today before I can leave.  Hs appointment is at 10 tomorrow, so when we get back home, I will probably work on putting time in.  I'm so far behind again!  But its been so busy, I don't really have much other time to put in my billing entries!  Its the part of my job I hate the most!
  • Options
    @missJeanLouise that’s awesome if you can stay!
    still keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you @mrsconn23

it’s not under warranty.  I’m 1,000 miles over it! Do I keep the appt at the dealership or at this point just go to my local garage?
    I'd go to your local garage.  Especially if you have one you like/trust.  It is almost always going to be so much cheaper than a dealership.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had a work webinar today that was woefully unprepared (boss and I hadn't even discussed who was talking about what until 20 min before it started) but it went well I think. I hate stuff like that.

Had a weird low blood sugar crash this morning that was kind of scary. Ate some fruit snacks and it bounced me back but I still feel off. I hope I don't go on a weird sugar high/crash roller coaster today since I normally avoid sugar. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    We had a work webinar today that was woefully unprepared (boss and I hadn't even discussed who was talking about what until 20 min before it started) but it went well I think. I hate stuff like that.

Had a weird low blood sugar crash this morning that was kind of scary. Ate some fruit snacks and it bounced me back but I still feel off. I hope I don't go on a weird sugar high/crash roller coaster today since I normally avoid sugar. 
    You may remember, but I'm a Type I diabetic.  If you haven't already, follow it up with some long-lasting protein.  Like peanut butter, nuts, meat, and/or cheese.  That really helps to level it off and stop the roller coaster.

If this happens on occasion, you might want to invest in a glucometer.  If you get a generic one from somewhere like Walgreens/Walmart/CVS, they're only $10-$20 and the strips...which are actually the expensive part...are fairly cheap for the generic ones also.  Like $25 for 50.

When your blood sugar gets thrown off, it can also temporarily throw off your perception.  At least it does for me.  Though I think it's more psychological than physical, lol!  But to SEE that my blood sugar is back in a normal range or at least "headed back up", helps to calm my worries.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    S+S I did think of you this morning and was hoping you would chime in. I had nuts and then some lunch meat and cheese too since I figured the fruit snacks probably weren't the best idea in hindsight but all I was thinking was "sugar" and what I could eat quickly while also being light on my stomach. 

I used to have this occassionally when I worked out too much but it would just be a mild dizzy feeling. Definitely had not previously experienced it in the morning like this or anything this severe. 
  • Options
    I'm back at work, busy.  My birthday went well..I ended up being extraordinarily lazy and did nothing all day.  It was nice.  I think I'm fairly burnt out right now and just need some extended down time, but that's aways off right now.

not too much else to report.  SSDD.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    S+S I did think of you this morning and was hoping you would chime in. I had nuts and then some lunch meat and cheese too since I figured the fruit snacks probably weren't the best idea in hindsight but all I was thinking was "sugar" and what I could eat quickly while also being light on my stomach. 

I used to have this occassionally when I worked out too much but it would just be a mild dizzy feeling. Definitely had not previously experienced it in the morning like this or anything this severe. 
    You do want to drink/eat something first that is straight sugar, so that was a good call!  Like soda or juice and at least 15g worth*.  Depending on how many you ate, the fruit snacks may not have been enough sugar.  Wait about 15-30 minutes and then follow it up with some protein.

*So I know and will tell myself, logically, that I only need 15g of sugar when I feel it is low.  But, at that moment, there is a lot of body "self-preservation" going on.  Your body makes it feel scary and frantic, so your instinct is to take in all the sugar you can!

Sometimes/usually I feel just fine after correcting a low blood sugar.  But sometimes I feel "off" for a few hours, even when I can see my blood sugar is fine.  I could see that especially being true for you, if it isn't something you are used to.

That's my long way of saying you're probably fine...with the caveat I have no medical knowledge, other than being a diabetic, lol...and it may have just been one of those things.  But if it starts happening more frequently, I'd definitely recommend seeing a doctor.

----------------

My weird experience with dizziness.  About 8 years ago, I went through a few months where I suddenly started feeling dizzy a few times week.  Usually when I first woke up in the morning.  It would last for less than a minute and was mild.  Then, I was at work one afternoon and had a really bad spell.  I was REALLY dizzy.  For a few minutes.  Almost felt like I was going to pass out.  My blood sugar was fine.  I was freaked out enough that I had one of my coworkers take me to one of those care clinics.  My blood pressure was fine also.  They didn't find any explanation.  I mentioned it to my endocrinologist at my next appointment.  He didn't seem especially concerned, but didn't have an explanation either.

Then, after a few months, the dizzy spells stopped just as suddenly as they'd appeared.  That bad one at work was the only bad one I had.  I still have no idea what any of that was about (shrug).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    Very snowy in my neck of the woods.  So snowy my bunnies, who love the snow, are refusing to play in it.  Even my puppy looked outside and was pretty much "nope!"  

My mom called me this morning - we are going to Europe in May and she's a bit concerned about COVID-19.  If our trip has to be cancelled, that would SUCK, but I'm being pretty optimistic at the moment.  I don't think we'll have to cancel, but we'll see what things look like in a couple of months.
    I remember you talking about that when I was excited about booking my Western Mediterranean cruise for May!

I'm with you.  It's only a very slight concern for me.  If the European status quo stays about the same as it is now...or even gets mildly worse...pfft, I'm still going.  I'll just be amping up my hand washing and using hand sanitizer like it's going out of style.

Now watch me just jinx myself into ending up on a cruise ship that gets quarantined, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Varuna - I think I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday - so Happy Birthday!

Kerbohl - We are going to Ireland at the end of May.  I'm not really too worried about it, as we are all healthy people.  It seems to effect the elderly more than adults and children.  I think part of why it was so bad in China is their air quality is terrible and there are many smokers - so their lungs were not as healthy to handle this virus as well as others.  While the virus will transmit to other people, I'm really not worried about it.  Also, as winter ends and the sun stays out longer - the virus will be unable to live on a surface for as long.  So good hand washing is key!
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

That makes sense, although I’m sure it’s frustrating. If there are no other interventions I’d want to be home in my house as much as I could. 
    Yes, especially since the only grandkid that can go to the hospital is the kiddo since he’s over 18.  She misses the other boys so much and just wants to be with them. Also, I think she wants to start thinking about things she wants to go through and decide what to do with if she knows she may not need/use them. She’s still mobile, so puttering will give her something to do. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Yes, especially since the only grandkid that can go to the hospital is the kiddo since he’s over 18.  She misses the other boys so much and just wants to be with them. Also, I think she wants to start thinking about things she wants to go through and decide what to do with if she knows she may not need/use them. She’s still mobile, so puttering will give her something to do. 
    I could see where that could be really cleansing for her and also knowing that she is helping you all out, for the future.  Though not for the same reasons, my mom went through this with my grandmother on a few different occasions.  My grandmother couldn't emotionally let go of many of her "treasures"...like her 1,000+ album collection...so they were put in a storage unit.  Even though everyone knew she was never going to have a place to put them again and wasn't going to go rooting around a storage unit for anything.

But going through that experience with her own mother, hugely changed my own mother's perspective.  She'd always been a bit of a pack rat herself.  She did a 180 and purged most of her belongings.  If it wasn't something she actively used, it was gone.  I was proud of her that she kept her choices of keepsakes she wanted to pass down to a minimum and even asked my and my sister's opinions on those items.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker