Chit Chat

Married on 9/11

Wondering about what people think of being married on 9/11/21. Itd be 20 years since 9/11. I didn’t have anyone directly affected while I still respectfully mourn the lives that were. Just looking for opinions. Thanks! 

Re: Married on 9/11

• Honestly, I think it's nice but not unusual to think of how that date might impact others.  However, having said that, in the 20 years since, many good events, such as birthdays, have occurred on the date.  We cannot stop time or change events.  It might strike guests initially when they see the date, but I don't see it having a negative impact on your wedding. 
  • Wondering about what people think of being married on 9/11/21. Itd be 20 years since 9/11. I didn’t have anyone directly affected while I still respectfully mourn the lives that were. Just looking for opinions. Thanks! 
    I live in NY, so I personally would not be able to get married on that date, for a few reasons. But I do understand that people in other parts of the country might have different feelings about it. 
  • Wondering about what people think of being married on 9/11/21. Itd be 20 years since 9/11. I didn’t have anyone directly affected while I still respectfully mourn the lives that were. Just looking for opinions. Thanks! 
    I live in NY, so I personally would not be able to get married on that date, for a few reasons. But I do understand that people in other parts of the country might have different feelings about it. 
    I think this is going to be an 'It depends" thing as well.

I imagine that December 7th was probably not a celebratory day for many years and it's still a day of remembrance.   

I wouldn't be able to pick that date for a wedding however now I would not hesitate to use it as a date for a birthday party for my kids or family member.   There's a difference between hosting something on that date and that date being something that is celebrated annually.

• I think it all really depends on what part of the country you live in and whether any of your guests lost someone that day. I've lived in the NYC metro area my whole life, and even after all these years, there's some really bad memories associated with the date for me and a lot of people I know, even if we didn't personally lose someone. So it's probably not a day that I would choose for my own wedding. That said, I understand that it's different for everyone, and I wouldn't criticize anyone for choosing that date if it made sense for them or refuse to attend if invited.
  • Oh, this is a tough one- and a decision I wrestled with myself back in 2015, when I got married.  One of my absolute favorite venues was only available on September 11th, or not again until December and into the winter...  no other fall dates except for 9/11.

Being that I grew up in NY, and was getting married in NJ, I just ultimately couldn't do it.  The date just had/has too much significance.

I guess it depends on where you're from, too.  There is something to be said about honoring the day with a celebration of love, I would imagine.  But if something is just not sitting right in your gut (like it did for me), I would say keep looking.

Good luck! 
  • Your wedding day is your wedding day which significance to you as the couple.  

Even prior to 9/11/2001 the date 9/11 was an easy one to remember.

Is the date somehow now taboo or the like - no.  Chances are you're going to have an easier time finding vendors for both your wedding and then for your Anniversaries because it's not a particularly high travel time except to New York and possibly DC areas.  
  • I agree that it should not be a kind of taboo