Flowers

Would you find a new florist?

edited March 2020 in Flowers

I found my florist through my fiance’s sister when she got married. She had her bouquets and boutonnieres through this florist at Kroger for a really good deal. For the past several months now we’ve been talking about designs, flowers, mock-up, samples quotes, etc. and worked with me in my budget. She was very passionate about it and I liked working with her. When I asked how payment would be made or if there was a contract to be signed she said payment would be made to her so she can get me a really good deal instead of Kroger’s price. Which would be $350 in difference… my fiance’s sister paid her flowers through Kroger though.

That’s when I felt uncomfortable so I created a contract that she agreed she’d sign, I haven’t given it yet. My parents found out and they think that I shouldn’t go to her because it’s not Kroger and they said it was stealing since she’s basically taking the business. I’m this far out and I’m afraid it might be too late to find a new florist. The lady told me I can go through Kroger, up to me but they don’t do signed contracts there anyhow.

I mean, is it really any different than say a make-up lady at Macy’s or someone on Thumbtack? Argh. I thought I had this figured out but my parents are making me nervous now about moving forward. I’m more so concerned what if she left or got fired. She buys it directly from the wholesaler through her own pocket.

Re: Would you find a new florist?

• I found my florist through my fiance’s sister when she got married. She had her bouquets and boutonnieres through this florist at Kroger for a really good deal. For the past several months now we’ve been talking about designs, flowers, mock-up, samples quotes, etc. and worked with me in my budget. She was very passionate about it and I liked working with her. When I asked how payment would be made or if there was a contract to be signed she said payment would be made to her so she can get me a really good deal instead of Kroger’s price. Which would be $350 in difference… my fiance’s sister paid her flowers through Kroger though.

That’s when I felt uncomfortable so I created a contract that she agreed she’d sign, I haven’t given it yet. My parents found out and they think that I shouldn’t go to her because it’s not Kroger and they said it was stealing since she’s basically taking the business. I’m this far out and I’m afraid it might be too late to find a new florist. The lady told me I can go through Kroger, up to me but they don’t do signed contracts there anyhow.

I mean, is it really any different than say a make-up lady at Macy’s or someone on Thumbtack? Argh. I thought I had this figured out but my parents are making me nervous now about moving forward. I’m more so concerned what if she left or got fired. She buys it directly from the wholesaler through her own pocket.

I think you can sign a contract with her that she will provide x flowers at y price and doesn’t say anything about where she is getting the flowers from. She’s not stealing, she’s getting the flowers at a wholesale/employee discount. If she were fired she would still need to provide to you the flowers you agreed on at the price you agreed and she would need to work out how to do that within the price she quoted you. 
  • edited March 2020
    Thanks for the response. Yes, everything I created in contract has that but I haven’t signed with her yet. I guess I’m scared my parents said if she flakes there’s nothing I can do if I tell the judge my story. It’s highly unlikely she will bail though. She did my fiancé’s sisters bouquets two years ago. I would make a deposit for half payment as it nears my date and the rest after.