Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Strolling Dinner reception

We are thinking of having our wedding on a yacht with a strolling dinner.  We will have approximately 75-100 guest with enough seating for 70.  I've thought of reserving tables for the older guest who are not inclined to dance or mingle much.  Has anyone done this before and could you give me some pro/cons about it? 

Re: Strolling Dinner reception

• Options
    I  would have seating for all. Can you pare your guest list or add more chairs? I remember going to a blowout, over the top, ridiculous 500 person wedding when I was in my 30s, and there were not enough seats. Even younger people need to sit, and you need to make sure everyone can sit at the same time. 
  • Options
    You need a chair for every butt. You don't know the details of people's medical history and whether they have limitations on how long they can comfortably stand. Even without medical necessity, I would be miserable to find myself confined to a boat in dress shoes with no place to sit down. At least in a hall I could leave when I get uncomfortable!

I would also not want to stroll while eating anything. It feels too much like eating drive thru in the car. I'd rather be able to comfortably sit my plate and drink on a table and not risk dropping everything.

• Options
    We are thinking of having our wedding on a yacht with a strolling dinner.  We will have approximately 75-100 guest with enough seating for 70.  I've thought of reserving tables for the older guest who are not inclined to dance or mingle much.  Has anyone done this before and could you give me some pro/cons about it? 
    You need a chair for every butt. When I eat I want to sit and relax. Trying to balance food while walking is uncomfortable. You also have no idea what people’s private medical conditions are. I’ve had rheumatoid arthritis since my teens. I look young and healthy. But sometimes I’m in a significant amount of pain and I just want to be able to sit. You’d never know. Provide seating for ALL of your guests. 

• Options
    There needs to be a chair available to every guest. First of all, while there's a chance a lot of people won't be spending a lot of time at their table, they should still have the option to sit, even if only to be able to eat their meal without risking a mess. Second of all, a lot of people, including myself, have medical conditions that would make standing for that long difficult, if not impossible. Especially if you are getting married on a yacht and people won't have the option to leave early if they get tired or don't feel well, I don't think it's fair not to have enough seating for everyone.
  • Options
    As PPs note, everyone needs a seat. Strolling and eating is hard to manage even for healthy able-bodied persons, and it's not at all hard to foresee serious potential problems with doing it on a yacht, which presumably will be in water that will be experiencing even light waves.
  • Options
    I agree to all the above posts. I am a very fit 59 year old; however, I have bursitis in one hip and can't stand or walk for long periods of time. If you just saw me, you wouldn't know that. Have a seat for everyone so they can sit down to eat and in between dancingl 
  • Options
    I'm echoing everyone else.   Please have a seat for all your guests.   The easiest thing to do is have assigned seating.   No, they may not sit the entire time but the alternative is people stuck on a boat with no where to sit and no one inclined to give theirs up either.