Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday?

Anyone else waking up in the morning and thinking you’re starting your day as normal then taking a few minutes before you remember you’re in the middle (start?) of a global health pandemic & economic collapse? The few minutes I forgot about that we’re great this morning. 

H went out and bought me a card table that is now my desk. We’re in this for the long haul now. I had a meeting with my 2-above manager yesterday who said he thinks we’ll be doing this at least through all of April. I suspected as much but hearing that sounds like a long time. 

Other than that, H found yeast so I’m going to try and bake break this weekend! I need something to change things up. Any tips? I have a good no knead recipe but any one have anything else I should know? 

Re: Thursday?

• Options
    I've pretty much gotten into a routine, albeit a boring one. Get up, eat breakfast and go through email and do online Italian. Workout. Face time boys, shower. housework or laundry. watch whichever show I'm bingeing. Rinse and repeat everyday. It really is Ground Hog's Day.
  • Options
    I forgot for a little while last night. I had a video chat happy hour with some former classmates, but also some new people. While group video-chatting on my deck is not something I would normally ever do, it was nice that the conversation took us away from the immediate pandemic and into work, pets, dating, and life in general. I got to forget about life for a while, if that makes sense. As someone who teeters the line between introvert and extrovert, I didn't realize how much I needed that. 

On the bright side, it's absolutely gorgeous out. The pollen counts are insane (3700 today), so I can't spend too much time outside, but it's warm and sunny. I've been playing in the backyard with the pup on lunch breaks. Definitely a bonus to being WFH.

Our report back date is still 4/16, but I have a feeling we'll get an update soon. We haven't heard anything new since they sent us home 2 weeks ago, but it's sounding more and more like we're prepared to be home for a while. 
  • Options
    I'm going into the office Monday and I'm actually excited about it. 

I really miss the gym, and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to do shit at home. I've done a few early morning hikes, and have done some stuff here. But, it's just not the same. I also don't live in a great area for walking or running, and would have to drive somewhere to even do that. Blah. 
  • Options
    Tomorrow is going to be interesting.
    Daycare is closed because she has a cold and says she's just needing rest at this point {head cold, no cough} so BabyKitten will be home with us.
    M said he may take the day off, but we'll see. I said I can get her to chill with me for a bit if he wants to get SOME done. I just hope she goes down for nap easily .... I'm gonna get some stuff organized if he does chill with her.

M and I fought this morning, so WFH is going greeeaaattttt ..... guh.

Is it over yet?
  • Options
    I've been walking my dog in the morning before work because I haven't seen a soul any other morning.  This morning I saw like 10 people on my walk.  I think people are starting to wake up earlier.  I may have to wake up even earlier to walk the dog now.

I also took my rabbit in my coat with me because he was being a jerk to the other rabbits and needed a time out.  Maybe I'll get a rabbit carrier so I can walk them in nicer weather - that way I can still be hands free.  

I haven't heard too much more from my parents - they are still not sick.  But the people they live with went to work when they weren't feeling well.  I wish people would take this seriously.

• Options
    I'm going into the office Monday and I'm actually excited about it. 

I really miss the gym, and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to do shit at home. I've done a few early morning hikes, and have done some stuff here. But, it's just not the same. I also don't live in a great area for walking or running, and would have to drive somewhere to even do that. Blah. 
    This is where I’m at. And we even have a decent amount of weights at home. But I’m finding it so much harder to be on a good workout and meal routine with this. 

It’s my Friday today since tomorrow is the funeral/family service. I’m feeling very somber today. I’m anticipating our lockdown to be extended through April. I’m curious to see when they release that info though. 

• Options
    I keep doing self-torment by watching the daily briefings from the white house.  I do balance it out by watching our governors daily press conference, which is serious and factual and he looks to the experts to speak and he doesn't contradict them.  

Anyway, we're taking DefConn to FIL's tonight for a few so we may go purchase some bday gifts for him and pick up a few fill-in items we need. I'm looking forward to the quick excursion.  

We did have excellent weather yesterday.  We were outside a lot.  We also went on a bike ride.  As long as it's not raining, we're going to try to take walks or bike rides every night.  

Anyway, I've been writing this for over a half hour now because I keep having interruptions/distractions.  Prudie coming up.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I keep doing self-torment by watching the daily briefings from the white house.  I do balance it out by watching our governors daily press conference, which is serious and factual and he looks to the experts to speak and he doesn't contradict them.  

Anyway, we're taking DefConn to FIL's tonight for a few so we may go purchase some bday gifts for him and pick up a few fill-in items we need. I'm looking forward to the quick excursion.  

We did have excellent weather yesterday.  We were outside a lot.  We also went on a bike ride.  As long as it's not raining, we're going to try to take walks or bike rides every night.  

Anyway, I've been writing this for over a half hour now because I keep having interruptions/distractions.  Prudie coming up.  
    How’s your Mom doing??
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

How’s your Mom doing??
    She's OK after her hospital stay last week.  Lots of video chats with the grandkids.  I'm taking no updates as good news, as it means mom and dad are hunkered down at home. I'm trying very hard not think about when things might turn and just live in the moment of each day and that she's doing well and out of the hospital for now. 
    Glad she’s home and doing better! It’s got to be hard for her having to stay inside. 
  • Options
    Anyone else waking up in the morning and thinking you’re starting your day as normal then taking a few minutes before you remember you’re in the middle (start?) of a global health pandemic & economic collapse? The few minutes I forgot about that we’re great this morning. 

H went out and bought me a card table that is now my desk. We’re in this for the long haul now. I had a meeting with my 2-above manager yesterday who said he thinks we’ll be doing this at least through all of April. I suspected as much but hearing that sounds like a long time. 

Other than that, H found yeast so I’m going to try and bake break this weekend! I need something to change things up. Any tips? I have a good no knead recipe but any one have anything else I should know? 
    https://alexandracooks.com/2013/11/22/applesauce-yogurt-cake-homemade-applesauce/  This is one of my all-time favorites.  Good for breakfast or dessert.  

https://rachlmansfield.com/recipes/  I also have loved every recipe i've ever made of hers - the chocolate chip walnut cookies are on my list for tomorrow. Only tried her breakfast/desserts (not savory or dinner stuff).  

I did a google hangout with a couple of my best friends from grad school last night - it was so nice to chat.  

IL's are super pissing me off. They got back from FL last Tuesday so they should be self quarantining, period.  MIL has been to the grocery store almost every day, they both went to Dr appointments that are not time sensitive (as in, MIL went to appts with FIL).  Governor put shelter-in-place order last Saturday through April 7 and last night MIL went to GET HER HAIR DONE.  But don't worry - the stylist was staggering appointments so it's fine.  Also, this salon should be cited because they should absolutely not be operating right now.  I'm livid.  H called his sisters right away to tell them so that we can all present a united front when we refuse to see them for the foreseeable future.  They're going to be pissed but I don't care.  Not only are they a huge threat to us at the moment, they're being exposed to and exposing so many others because they can't stay in the GD house.  But also, per MIL "the millennials aren't taking this seriously and they're going to infect us all because they're the carriers".  This woman works in healthcare.  I can't.
  • Options
    Daycare is closed because she has a cold and says she's just needing rest at this point {head cold, no cough} so BabyKitten will be home with us.
    M said he may take the day off, but we'll see. I said I can get her to chill with me for a bit if he wants to get SOME done. I just hope she goes down for nap easily .... I'm gonna get some stuff organized if he does chill with her.

Is it over yet?
    Honestly if day care is still open where you are, it hasn’t even begun for you. 
  • Options

Is it over yet?
    I see a mix out here.   Some are staying open because they are still considered essential businesses.  The one I would have used (up til both kids were in school) did close for two weeks but we'll see what they decide to do next week. 

Schools are closed until at least April 20th and I expect that to be extended. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Is it over yet?
    I see a mix out here.   Some are staying open because they are still considered essential businesses.  The one I would have used (up til both kids were in school) did close for two weeks but we'll see what they decide to do next week. 

I agree; I’m in Buffalo and we have many cases in our county, schools have been out for 2 weeks now and are closed until 4/20 but probably will get extended. 

Some daycares are still open but are asking/.telling folks that are WFH not to send their kids (and will suspend payments) and for only essential workers to send their children. Some have closed altogether, but many are open to serve people in essential functions. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Is it over yet?

I agree; I’m in Buffalo and we have many cases in our county, schools have been out for 2 weeks now and are closed until 4/20 but probably will get extended. 

Some daycares are still open but are asking/.telling folks that are WFH not to send their kids (and will suspend payments) and for only essential workers to send their children. Some have closed altogether, but many are open to serve people in essential functions. 
    I've seen that as well.

We have several essential employees around.   I WFH but if DH wasn't WFH or on PTO he'd be considered essential and still going.   His company restructured their office workers to be on shifts now. 

There are a lot of healthcare workers in the local hospitals too and their kids need care.   It's not helping flatten the curve but those who haven't sent their kids to live with other families need them to be cared for while they're caring for others.
  • Options
    We have  2 major hospital systems here in my city, which are some of the largest employers in the city.  More importantly, my little city is the healthcare center from the entire SW corner of the state.  These small towns that even have a hospital, have maybe a 1-3 bed ICU if they even have one at all.  Most of them ship critical care patients to our hospitals.  So, the daycares have remained open to healthcare employees and one of the big children's..museum/educational center here has transitioned into a daycare, able to host children as well.  Both of the hospitals are in the process of building basically an extra ICU hospital in their parking lots, as well as activating floors that have been held empty after renovations.

K is supposed to start at one of the hospitals in June.  They have no idea what is going to happen at all now, since they haven't even returned to school yet.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Happy would've-been-Opening-Day to the Mets and most other baseball teams!

Our schools are also closed and on e-learning until April 20th, I'm praying we do go back then but I don't know if that'll happen.  A hospital about 8 miles from my childhood home (where my parents still live) had 13 coronavirus deaths yesterday alone.  That's one hospital in the city.  And we're supposed to be going into the worst of it in the next 14-21 days.  So I really don't know about 4/20. 

All my kids want is to see my parents.  Facetime isn't cutting it, but it's all we can do for now.  They were actually all a bit weepy last night saying "it's not fair I want to see Nana and Pop Pop!".  It sucked to put on the brave face and upbeat voice and say repeat the mantra when I'm crying in the shower after they go to bed bc I miss seeing them too.  I know it's a FWP bc plenty of people live far away from their parents or no longer have parents so I'm very lucky.  But the thought that this will go on for weeks or months longer is draining.

@charlotte989875 I recommend a focaccia bread- recipes vary but you don't need more than 10 pantry ingredients.  In any yeast bread recipe, the step when you pour the water into the stand mixer, I always stir a bit of salt or sugar (depending on if it's a savory or sweet bread) into the water first.  I don't know why or if it makes a huge difference...in my head it does lol
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Is it over yet?

I've seen that as well.

We have several essential employees around.   I WFH but if DH wasn't WFH or on PTO he'd be considered essential and still going.   His company restructured their office workers to be on shifts now. 

There are a lot of healthcare workers in the local hospitals too and their kids need care.   It's not helping flatten the curve but those who haven't sent their kids to live with other families need them to be cared for while they're caring for others.
    Oh I don’t disagree at all about the need for day care, I’m just saying my area is so far into these that necessary or not, day cares are all shutting down and people are scrambling. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:

https://alexandracooks.com/2013/11/22/applesauce-yogurt-cake-homemade-applesauce/  This is one of my all-time favorites.  Good for breakfast or dessert.  

https://rachlmansfield.com/recipes/  I also have loved every recipe i've ever made of hers - the chocolate chip walnut cookies are on my list for tomorrow. Only tried her breakfast/desserts (not savory or dinner stuff).  

I did a google hangout with a couple of my best friends from grad school last night - it was so nice to chat.  

IL's are super pissing me off. They got back from FL last Tuesday so they should be self quarantining, period.  MIL has been to the grocery store almost every day, they both went to Dr appointments that are not time sensitive (as in, MIL went to appts with FIL).  Governor put shelter-in-place order last Saturday through April 7 and last night MIL went to GET HER HAIR DONE.  But don't worry - the stylist was staggering appointments so it's fine.  Also, this salon should be cited because they should absolutely not be operating right now.  I'm livid.  H called his sisters right away to tell them so that we can all present a united front when we refuse to see them for the foreseeable future.  They're going to be pissed but I don't care.  Not only are they a huge threat to us at the moment, they're being exposed to and exposing so many others because they can't stay in the GD house.  But also, per MIL "the millennials aren't taking this seriously and they're going to infect us all because they're the carriers".  This woman works in healthcare.  I can't.
    WOW!   I'd be pissed too.   If FIL admits that he's continued to go to Lowe's and HD because they were working on their kitchen then sorrynotsorry they aren't coming over either.  

FIL has already pushed my buttons when he attempted to say that we should just cutoff feeding kids because if some people are suffering then we should all suffer.   Last week he tried to tell me that because his 401K is down that what - it's somehow comparable to people who didn't have two nickels to rub together who are now really in need.   He and MIL aren't worrying about where their next meal is coming from while so many people are on unemployment now including my brother who works for a retail store that's forced to close temporarily due to the current orders in place. 

I'm getting testy with the kids and it's hard.   And it's hard for them.   It's a 1st world problem and we're really lucky that our biggest issue at the moment is that familiarity is bringing contempt.   
    Ugh, that is horrible.  Obviously you agree, but I can't imagine how people need help now more than ever and to cut that off is inhumane.  

I dont understand how people don't get what a big deal this is.  Pure selfishness.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Is it over yet?

I've seen that as well.

Oh I don’t disagree at all about the need for day care, I’m just saying my area is so far into these that necessary or not, day cares are all shutting down and people are scrambling. 
    Yeah - I'm feeling really bad for those who are so stuck in this.  I know of a few who just sent their kids to live with their grandparents for now.  It was the only option that worked. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875, yes that’s exactly how i start my day!  Everything SEEMS so norma and it takes awhile for it a to sink I'm.  Only good thing about this is I’m getting an extra 45 min on the treadmill because of the lack of “get ready for work time”.  I kinda like it. 

@Casadena, Illinois, right?  That’s when out SIP *should* last too... we’ll see.  I’m amazed she found a salon open!!

Can someone check up on @short+sassy?  She’s already losing it... lol! I mean of COURSE dog houses are needed. Everywhere.  

I’m was face timing with my nieces and Sister over lunch. When my sister was young she LOVED playing “school” and of course she was the teacher and loved to give my brother and I all the homework. she liked “judge” too but I remember us in the goddamn makeshift school room a lot in my childhood.  Playing house was more my jam. 

Today, my eldest niece said “one of my friends said that her mom only lasted a day for home schooling”
    I said “oh.  Wow.  So what’s she doing now?”
    My sister laughed and said “yeah we were taking a walk and my friend called out “hello!” From her house and then “I only lasted a day with this home school stuff!” So we don’t really know what’s going on with them...”
    I said “but you like home school right?” to my niece
    “Yeah I love it!”
    I said “well don’t you worry because your mom has been preparing 43 years for this!”
    My niece turns to my sister and says “you’ve been preparing for the coronavirus for 43 years?” 😂 

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ya know, if I had wanted to home school, I woulda homeschooled.
    I am sorrynotsorry that I just threatened my child to spray her in the face w/ the dog's water bottle the next time she fails to follow an instruction.

But we're mostly doing OK.  we've done a lot of home-schooling--but most of it is doing normal stuff that we do anyhow.  THe only things I"m actively teaching are math (fucking math.  I know the math, I know how to teach the math, we don't succeed at communicating to each other.) and science (which is all projects and is my jam and has involved massive amounts of baking)

But my work and the Mr's work are closed.  and staying closed for a while.  
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    We have  2 major hospital systems here in my city, which are some of the largest employers in the city.  More importantly, my little city is the healthcare center from the entire SW corner of the state.  These small towns that even have a hospital, have maybe a 1-3 bed ICU if they even have one at all.  Most of them ship critical care patients to our hospitals.  So, the daycares have remained open to healthcare employees and one of the big children's..museum/educational center here has transitioned into a daycare, able to host children as well.  Both of the hospitals are in the process of building basically an extra ICU hospital in their parking lots, as well as activating floors that have been held empty after renovations.

K is supposed to start at one of the hospitals in June.  They have no idea what is going to happen at all now, since they haven't even returned to school yet.
    Here in New Orleans, they are tentatively talking about turning our Convention Center into a site for COVID-19 patients who have been treated and are in need of isolation. 

We're on a "stay at home" order until April 13th.  Same for schools.  But, yeah, most people are assuming it will need to be extended.

Unfortunately, that also means my H has totally lost his p/t income from taking pics of hotel boards until that order is lifted.  So that's over a grand/month not coming into our house.  I know it is so much worse for others and we'll be okay.  But it's still a big chunk we're not putting toward the extra debt we've taken on with our renos.  Speaking of.  Our second unit is completed and ready to be rented out, but it's not like we can do showings (sigh).  So that's a lot of rent to miss out on also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hear NYC is preparing for the Javits Center to be a hospital backup possibly next week. 

CT has no school until at least the 20th.   We see what that holds as we get closer but I am assuming that the kids are home for the year.