Illinois-Chicago
Options

HELP! Venue search too specific?

Hi everyone! First post here.

We just got engaged on Halloween and are slowly starting our wedding planning. Honestly, the venue is the most important thing for me as we both really want the space to reflect us, but I am struggling!

We would really like an elegant but retro cocktail lounge and/ or tiki bar feel. I've actually come across countless places that are the vibe we're going for but the problem is that none of those locations can accommodate 100 seated guests! (We've talked about trying to lower the guest count but with family and only closest friends we are right at 100) I've also looked into some restaurants/ supper clubs but the ones that would work are mainly located in the city and crazy expensive.

We'd like to have the ceremony and reception in the same location and have a nearby hotel available for guests. The hope is to stay around $15,000 for the venue including food and open bar. We have no specific date set because we just really want to find the right place and go from there. 

We live in the near west suburbs and are willing to stretch our search throughout Illinois, Indiana or Wisconsin as well.

Am I being ridiculously picky? Does this type of place not exist?  

Re: HELP! Venue search too specific?

• Options
    You aren't being picky, your budget just isn't reflecting your wants/needs so something needs to give and that something is best done in the venue.  Realize you can bring props to create that theme at a local community center to fit that size and theme or for that matter a hotel where you can have the ceremony and reception without having to plan a shuttle for your guests.  

I highly recommend starting with writing down the specific names of everyone that would be on the guest list and get your number to be certain from there. 

There are a lot of options in St. Charles to check out for hotels/conference centers 

Check Green Town Tavern in Waukegan...  Their room might be the right size...
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2020
    Hi everyone! First post here.

We just got engaged on Halloween and are slowly starting our wedding planning. Honestly, the venue is the most important thing for me as we both really want the space to reflect us, but I am struggling!

We would really like an elegant but retro cocktail lounge and/ or tiki bar feel. I've actually come across countless places that are the vibe we're going for but the problem is that none of those locations can accommodate 100 seated guests! (We've talked about trying to lower the guest count but with family and only closest friends we are right at 100) I've also looked into some restaurants/ supper clubs but the ones that would work are mainly located in the city and crazy expensive.

We'd like to have the ceremony and reception in the same location and have a nearby hotel available for guests. The hope is to stay around $15,000 for the venue including food and open bar. We have no specific date set because we just really want to find the right place and go from there. 

We live in the near west suburbs and are willing to stretch our search throughout Illinois, Indiana or Wisconsin as well.

Am I being ridiculously picky? Does this type of place not exist?  

As soon as you mentioned "tiki bar" feel, I thought about this restaurant in Des Plaines.....
    As @MesmerEwe suggested, you can always bring in the decor you want to a "blank slate" venue to help reflect the vibe you want.

• Options
    Try checking out Bobaks in Woodridge, IL.! You can do the ceremony in the patio garden which is connected to the reception room! Hope that helps!