Wedding Woes

It might be incompatibility or it might be anxiety.

Dear Prudence,

My fiancé usually works 70-hour workweeks with a long commute, so we rarely see each other except on weekends, despite living together. In a strange turn of events, due to his working remotely now, I see him far more than I ever did pre-coronavirus. We are together every single day for at least a few hours at a time, although I’m still an “essential” worker in my state, so I’m not in the house all day. I’m actually realizing this man is, day-to-day, kind of annoying to be around. He has a bunch of strange mannerisms and quirks that never annoyed me when I saw him only on the weekends but are now grating on my nerves: vocal tics, facial expressions, etc. It’s gotten to the point where I’m excited to either be out of the house or have him out of the house. Is it normal to feel this way about someone you’re going to marry? Is this a reason to postpone the wedding, currently scheduled for next year? I’m worried about spending the rest of my life with someone who I can’t even spend a week straight with—but also worried that the current global anxiety is affecting my ability to objectively view the situation.

—Crowded Love

Re: It might be incompatibility or it might be anxiety.

• mrsconn23 said:

Basically don’t make any  big decisions now, nothing about this is normal. 
    THIS x a frillion.  After listening to the Brene Brown podcast and talking to my therapist yesterday, EVERY SINGLE PERSON is having a trauma response to this.  Some are mitigating it better than others. But there isn't a person on earth right now who's unaffected by this event.  Maybe you'll end up working out in the 'new normal', maybe not.  If you're living with other people at this time, space (physically and mentally) is at a premium and everyone is losing it a little bit. I think LW is being too hard on herself, her FI, and their relationship. 
    So much agree! 

Also they went from barely seeing each other during the week, to 100% full time togetherness. That’s, a lot, to say the least. 
  • This is absolutely NOT the time to make a huge decision about your relationship. We're all feeling traumatized, anxious, etc. right now, and as a result, a lot of us are probably getting irritated by things that wouldn't usually bother us, or at least wouldn't bother us as much. And really, even under the best circumstances, it can be tough to adjust to being around someone more often than you're used to, even someone you love. I found that when my now husband and I first started living together.

Look, you may still find once things have started returning to normal that you aren't compatible with your FI. But I don't think you can know that until things start returning to normal, or at least until you feel better adjusted to the "new normal."  Don't make a rash decision now. 
  • SO MUCH THIS!

This is not the time to make major decisions.   Take things day by day and let the biggest decision be what you're planning to defrost for dinner. 
  • FI has really bad anxiety. It’s a lot on a daily basis normally. Dealing with it during this situation has been a challenge to say the least. Yesterday he wanted to go on a walk. So we went on a walk. Then he had a panic attack and got snippy with me. Then he wanted me to sleep in the other room so he could be left alone and “introvert.” (Worked for me. I slept great last night lol). But I’m not doubting our relationship. He’s just trying to work through an impossible situation on the fumes of coping mechanisms.  

This is nearly an unprecedented experience for 99% of the world’s population right now. Tensions are high. People are stressed. Some people are coping better than others. FI is one of the people who is obviously not coping. It sounds like both LW and their FI might not be coping as well as they thought either. And Jesus, give it a moment. You went from weekends to full time seeing someone. And there’s no escape from the house. Everyone is struggling.