Wedding Woes
Options

What do we do for a June wedding due to COVID-19?

My fiancé and I have been planning a June 6, 2020 wedding for about a year. We have beautiful invitations bought and sitting in our kitchen, bridesmaids dresses ordered and in, cups with the June 6th date, and gifts with a June 6th date. We haven’t sent our invitations out yet (I know we were supposed to weeks ago) due to the COVID-19 outbreak and limits on how many people can be gathered at a time. We’ve spent about $1000 on non-refundable items for a June 6th wedding thus far. We’ve considered still getting married on June 6th, but at a my fiancé’s family’s property an hour away and making it a small ceremony with only close family. Then, hopefully when this lightens up, have a reception in the fall and maybe a “vow renewal”. However, some people seem very against this and think we just want gifts. NOT the case at all considering our wedding reception wouldn’t be cheap with the amount of people we sent save-the-dates to and we’re also mid-thirties, so we already have careers and don’t need the money or gifts, we just want a party with our friends and family, like originally intended. We can modify the invitations slightly by changing the date to the reception and keep the same location, adding maybe a “vow renewal” disclaimer on an added card. I’m at a loss of what to do though. We’re waiting until May 1st to make a final decision but it’s causing a lot of anxiety. Any help is appreciated.

Laura

Re: What do we do for a June wedding due to COVID-19?

• Options
    marsfire6 said:
    My fiancé and I have been planning a June 6, 2020 wedding for about a year. We have beautiful invitations bought and sitting in our kitchen, bridesmaids dresses ordered and in, cups with the June 6th date, and gifts with a June 6th date. We haven’t sent our invitations out yet (I know we were supposed to weeks ago) due to the COVID-19 outbreak and limits on how many people can be gathered at a time. We’ve spent about $1000 on non-refundable items for a June 6th wedding thus far. We’ve considered still getting married on June 6th, but at a my fiancé’s family’s property an hour away and making it a small ceremony with only close family. Then, hopefully when this lightens up, have a reception in the fall and maybe a “vow renewal”. However, some people seem very against this and think we just want gifts. NOT the case at all considering our wedding reception wouldn’t be cheap with the amount of people we sent save-the-dates to and we’re also mid-thirties, so we already have careers and don’t need the money or gifts, we just want a party with our friends and family, like originally intended. We can modify the invitations slightly by changing the date to the reception and keep the same location, adding maybe a “vow renewal” disclaimer on an added card. I’m at a loss of what to do though. We’re waiting until May 1st to make a final decision but it’s causing a lot of anxiety. Any help is appreciated.

Laura
    I'm not sure where you are but depending on location you may be quarantined still for June 6th.   CT is still under restrictions until May 20th and I don't think they'll be lifted soon.   Even with that, I know that I would probably not go out to a wedding especially if that event has people from multiple locations gathering in one spot on June 6th.

You do have some time but I'd strongly consider either having a very small wedding of the two of you if you even can (check if you can get a marriage license) or postponing.  

FWIW, I would make it clear that you just want to celebrate with others.   People are going to have their opinions but in light of what's going on I think complete honesty combined with a reason for a party under safe circumstances goes well.