New York-Western
Options

buff area DJ

I am getting married next September at Becker Farms in Gasport. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any DJs? We are from the other side of Rochester and I know DJs out here but none there. We really aren't looking for anything over the top. Just someone tat can play good music qand hopefully does most of their music with the option of an ipod hook in. My fiance has a unique taste in music so we would like the IPod option just in case there is something that the Dj doesn't have.

Re: buff area DJ

• Options
    edited December 2011
    we are using moving music and sound, i have heard great things about them and they have been great to work with so far always get back quick with questions, good prices and you can build a music list on there website once you book them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    snooks721snooks721 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Whirlin Disc. I heard great things and they are affordable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Moving Music. They did our wedding a few weeks ago and were great!! We got so many compliments! We used Tony, but I've heard good things about everyone there. FI had a few obscure things he wanted to hear. They didn't ahve it but they found it for us!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Energy Entertainment.  Haven't had them yet (wedding Saturday!) but so far we are pleased with them!  Seem pretty reasonable price-wise too
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_buff-area-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:a11eb9b2-0dfe-4101-8376-94e974c33fa7Post:033dfd7b-d99d-465b-999b-77eb0d1a5a60">Re: buff area DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using Whirlin Disc. I heard great things and they are affordable.
    Posted by snooks721[/QUOTE]

Ditto!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Toy Bros.  He's always posting on FB about the full dance floor and how they got extended at the weddings they're doing.

He also just switched everything over to Macs so I would think the iPod wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked through Phenomenon Sound.  Our wedding isn't until next summer, but one of my good friends used Phenonmenon for her wedding in '08, and it was one of the most fun receptions I've ever been to--packed dance floor all night, to the point when it was over everyone was chanting, "one more song! one more song!" and the DJ complied and played a few more. It was a really good time.

I'm honestly not sure if what we're paying is standard or not--all of this planning is really overwhelming!!! I hope we're not overpaying, but at this point the contract is signed, so we're committed. :)  Anyway, it sounds like you have lots of good options for the DJ.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I have contacted a couple of the places already. I agree with you amg8 it is overwhelming. I am not sure what is going on half of the time!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_buff-area-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:a11eb9b2-0dfe-4101-8376-94e974c33fa7Post:75843301-7d39-486c-b787-7068e3fa0ddc">Re: buff area DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using Energy Entertainment.  Haven't had them yet (wedding Saturday!) but so far we are pleased with them!  Seem pretty reasonable price-wise too
    Posted by RachelAdam1011[/QUOTE]

I have them booked too but my wedding isn't until August 2012- Come back and share your thoughts about them!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooo another Becker Farm bride :) When is your wedding?!

I booked Phenomenon Sound as well.. they did a friend's wedding which was the most fun wedding I've ever been to, and she had booked based on the same reason from someone else's wedding. They did the 'one more song!' thing too, we ended in Piano Man, and about 50 of us stood in a huge circle belting it out! I don't know standard prices for DJs either, but they really seem to know what they're doing!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sure will meatball fun!!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_buff-area-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:a11eb9b2-0dfe-4101-8376-94e974c33fa7Post:f57240c6-d17e-4b26-8d1c-102425d0799a">Re: buff area DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: buff area DJ : I have them booked too but my wedding isn't until August 2012- Come back and share your thoughts about them!!
    Posted by meatball fun[/QUOTE]

I sure will meatball fun!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding date is Sept 28 2012. It is so far away! I can not wait, I am so excited.
  • Options
    Strawberry143Strawberry143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also using Phenomenon and have had nothing but amazing things to say. Just went to a friends wedding last week and I never left the dancefloor. My only complaint was my feet were killing me all day Sunday from dancing so much! :)
  • Options
    gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're using phenomenon as well.  they threw in free uplighting if we booked at a bridal show =)

the best part is that they'll work with you to create the playlist -- so if you have unique requests, you can either provide it to them, or they'll try to find it. thats what sold us!

not sure how music-heavy your FI is, but ive heard whirlin disc and i'm not a fan of the way things sound. their transitions between songs are sometimes very choppy and noticeable. (lyrics would be cut off, transition from loud/fast song to a quiet, slow one without fading the music to match, etc). that kind of thing matters a lot to us, so i figured i'd mention it.

my advice:  interview a couple different companies. go see them at bridal shows (a lot of times the company will DJ the fashion show). it sounds like you want someone who will let you have a bit of freedom with the playlist, so make sure you ask about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are interested at all in doing a photo booth too, Toy Bros. does a great combo package!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend Phenomon Sound.  We used them for our wedding and they were amazing!  We went to a wedding a few weeks before ours who used Whirlin Disc, and the difference in sound quality, volume, and overall song selection was quite noticeable. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anyone mind if I ask what phenomenon sounds prices are like? I have found the other ones to be between 700-1300ish. I don't want to be tacky in asking but they do not post prices.
  • Options
    Claydoh86Claydoh86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For those of you who have used or are using Moving Music, are they always really hard to get ahold of?? I have read so many great reviews about them, and would love to book with them, but ever since we talked to Tony the first time (to get prices and details) we have been unable to contact him for weeks. We have called and emailed numerous times, but no answers. He even called us one night and left a VM on my fiance's phone saying he got our message but was headed to a meeting and we could call him in an hour..we did but no one answered yet again. We have our money set aside for the deposit and everything, but we would like to meet up and sign a contract first. I don't know what to do anymore..if we don't hear from someone we are going to have to book with someone else, and I'll be pretty disappointed since they sound like a great company to work with. Frown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards