Wedding Woes
Options

Respond firmly or say nothing?

Dear Prudence,

I am a happily married 47-year-old teacher. Every couple of years, former students get in touch to ask me to lunch or coffee. If they’ve graduated at least five years ago, I usually go. This also happens to my colleagues, and they have similar policies. I always have a nice catch-up session, and I’ve never had an unprofessional or romantic relationship with a student. Last month, my former student “Rachel” (in her mid-20s) contacted me to ask for coffee. I hadn’t spoken to her since I taught her tenth-grade science class, and I didn’t know her very well then.

She showed up in a very emotional state, said she had just taken drugs, then declared her love for me. She started crying and said she wanted me to leave my wife. I was extremely taken aback and was trying to keep her calm, so I did not explicitly turn her down (which I should have done), but I think I conveyed through my body language and my rapid exit that I was not interested. I was thoroughly freaked out. Rachel has since emailed me to say she has been in therapy and is embarrassed about ”what happened between us,” but she also wants to keep in touch. It’s only been a month. I don’t feel comfortable keeping in touch and I don’t want to put myself at professional risk by engaging further with her. At the same time, I feel sorry for her because she is clearly vulnerable and I feel some duty of care toward her. I’m not sure if I should ignore her completely or send some sort of response wishing her the best but making it clear that I don’t want to continue the correspondence. I told my wife, and she was the one who suggested I write to you for advice. What is the kindest thing to do here?

—Freaked-Out Faculty

Re: Respond firmly or say nothing?

• Options
    There’s more to this backstory.  She doesn't meet up for coffee out of the blue to confess her random act of love for you. Drugs or not.  She could have a crush on you - sure.  But there’s more to this. 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @CharmedPam more to this story on whose end?  The student?  I take LW at their word for some reason.  If I were them I'd reply to the email that I don't want to keep in touch but that I wish them the best (phrased in some polite but firm way). 
  • Options
    Really?  Your wife thinks Prudie and not a professional is who should give advice? 

You need to be firm here.    This can put your career in jeopardy.

"I am truly sorry that you are going through this.   Please let me know if you need the names of any respectable counselors." 

Do not keep in touch.   Do not engage.   Lose her number.   Do not respond to texts.  

This is sad but it can mess with too many aspects of your life for you to be involved.   
  • Options
    I think LW needs to send a single, direct, clear "do not contact" directive, and then ignore/block any future contact. She's seeing a therapist who will hopefully help her. 

I would probably save all previous communication and confide in a trusted colleague in order to have some evidence should she make a false allegation later. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2020
    LW just needs to be direct and firm that they are cutting off contact with Rachel.  No recommendations or offers of finding help should come from LW.  

They then need to stick to that, back up any data, and definitely tell a colleague or two what happened and how they responded.  

When I first read this letter, I thought it was a professor.  No, it's a HS teacher.  I'm wondering if LW needs to revise their policy of meeting with former students, even 5 years+ out, alone for coffee or whatever.  Maybe if it was a few former students together, it would be OK...but one on one led to this. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't ignore, but send a  firm but kind no, saying that he thinks it would be best for both Rachel and himself if they no longer communicate, and that he wishes her the best.  Ignoring might hurt her, but letting sending a message might give her some closure.
    And definitely keep records, including the respond and all dates of interactions, just in case.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    LW just needs to be direct and firm that they are cutting off contact with Rachel.  No recommendations or offers of finding help should come from LW.  

They then need to stick to that, back up any data, and definitely tell a colleague or two what happened and how they responded.  

When I first read this letter, I thought it was a professor.  No, it's a HS teacher.  I'm wondering if LW needs to revise their policy of meeting with former students, even 5 years+ out, alone for coffee or whatever.  Maybe if it was a few former students together, it would be OK...but one on one led to this. 
    I was thinking the same thing.  Or perhaps if meeting it needs to be in brightly lit open and public if it's career related?  But this just catches me as concerning at a lot of levels. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2020
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Or perhaps if meeting it needs to be in brightly lit open and public if it's career related?  But this just catches me as concerning at a lot of levels. 
    Yeah, if LW is providing some sort of mentoring/advice to these kids...then that's fine.  But does LW have 'office' hours during his day where they could invite the former student to be a visitor LW sponsors and they can have lunch or whatever in the school, which is a professional environment for LW? 

I know people have that 'special' teacher who's class/personality they 'loved' or was their hero.  So I'm trying to be understanding...but LW makes it sound like this happens a lot...but not that often. So it feels a little confusing. 

Related-ish, one of my BFF's moms dated my drama teacher (who was my favorite HS teacher).  It was after I was married, so well after HS.  It was weird and also, I found a lot out about him on a personal level that kind of put a damper on how highly I regarded him from HS.  That said, he's an excellent teacher...just a shitshow IRL.  He had good weed though.  LOL 
  • Options
    I would forward all communication and a summary of what happened to a trusted colleague or supervisor. This person is clearly going through a very tough time but LW needs to protect themselves and their family. Respond and tell Rachel you are not able to meet with her again  and you wish her well. Do not engage in any follow-ups and send any additional communication to your colleague. 
  • Options
    I've gone to a former teacher's house to visit with her family for dinner.  I actually should invite her over to my house one of these days, after the pandemic is over ... but my relationship with her is a bit of an isolated thing.  I didn't actually have her very much as a teacher, and we reconnected because we go to the same church and have a lot in common.  Hubby is a high school teacher, and doesn't interact with former students.  The fact that this happens often for LW is odd.  Is it a private school, where there are smaller classes and therefore more possibility of students getting to know you personally?  

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    I've gone to a former teacher's house to visit with her family for dinner.  I actually should invite her over to my house one of these days, after the pandemic is over ... but my relationship with her is a bit of an isolated thing.  I didn't actually have her very much as a teacher, and we reconnected because we go to the same church and have a lot in common.  Hubby is a high school teacher, and doesn't interact with former students.  The fact that this happens often for LW is odd.  Is it a private school, where there are smaller classes and therefore more possibility of students getting to know you personally?  
    Thanks for this perspective from the trenches!  Because it also struck me as really odd that this happens "so often" to HS teachers.  But then, I'm not a HS teacher, lol.

I had a couple HS teachers I'd thought about contacting within the first couple years I'd graduated from college.  Not to suggest coffee or meeting up or anything like that!  But more as a short update of what I'd been up to and a thank-you to them for being great teachers.  Then, I never even did that and kind of regret it.

At any rate, I'm on the same train as most of you.  One last direct and short communication that it's best they not stay in touch, glad to hear they are getting help, and wish them well.  Along with written documentation with 1-2 colleagues about what had transpired.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    I met up with a small group of former students, once.  (Once, and I've been an educator since 2012.  It's extremely rare for my co-workers too.  Maybe LW's school is different?) It was just this past summer, and I'd recently left the school for a new one. They were all in mandated groups with me as underclassmen, then in voluntary groups I ran as juniors/seniors.  And they were all in an "Everyday Heroes" after school club I facilitated.  They graduated in 2015, and had wanted to see me again / I guess re-live old times after graduating from college in May '19.  They asked if I preferred a diner or Panera Bread and I went with Panera (so we'd all pay for ourselves) and time of day and I went with 12 noon.  Wasn't taking any chances.  It was nice to see them, I don't think it was weird or inappropriate in any way.  There were no Rachel/LW moments.  But I couldn't imagine meeting a former student one-on-one.  There are opportunities to see your HS teachers- visit the school over holiday breaks (since colleges have more time off than HS), attend alumni events or Homecoming if you're nearby, return for College Days (when alum share their college experiences with the current HS students)...99% of former students I've seen, it's been one of these ways.  On school turf. 

edit spelling
  • Options
    Rachel's apology for "what happened between us" is setting this guy up for legal trouble. She's making it sound as if they had a relationship.

He needs to send one very clear message that "nothing happened between us, I'm glad you're seeking help for your mental health/addictions, and please do not contact me again." And he needs to show this to his principal or headmaster.
  • Options
    I think I would involve a school counselor or principal or something.  Just so that what has happened is officially documented and let them guide you on if any response should be forthcoming.  I do believe the LW, just b/c the letter itself seems very professional and LW does seem caring about students.  But LW needs to protect themselves.  

TBH, probably b/c of my own bias, I was thinking LW was a woman at first and gay.  That makes it even more dangerous to me.  Very mentally ill people truly can create a story in their head about what they think happened, even if nothing did.  Not letting their higher ups now in this situation just feels dangerous to LW and their career.
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    I met up with a small group of former students, once.  (Once, and I've been an educator since 2012.  It's extremely rare for my co-workers too.  Maybe LW's school is different?) It was just this past summer, and I'd recently left the school for a new one. They were all in mandated groups with me as underclassmen, then in voluntary groups I ran as juniors/seniors.  And they were all in an "Everyday Heroes" after school club I facilitated.  They graduated in 2015, and had wanted to see me again / I guess re-live old times after graduating from college in May '19.  They asked if I preferred a diner or Panera Bread and I went with Panera (so we'd all pay for ourselves) and time of day and I went with 12 noon.  Wasn't taking any chances.  It was nice to see them, I don't think it was weird or inappropriate in any way.  There were no Rachel/LW moments.  But I couldn't imagine meeting a former student one-on-one.  There are opportunities to see your HS teachers- visit the school over holiday breaks (since colleges have more time off than HS), attend alumni events or Homecoming if you're nearby, return for College Days (when alum share their college experiences with the current HS students)...99% of former students I've seen, it's been one of these ways.  On school turf. 

edit spelling
    STIB

These opportunities aren't always available. Our HS (public and private) don't allow on campus visits from former students anymore - safety decisions. I don't know that they have college days though that would be a good opportunity. From what I understand for my boys' HS (private) homecoming and reunions don't have a lot of teachers attend. I don't know about DD's HS (public) because she hasn't been to anything since she graduated.

I do think not meeting students one-on-one is the safest thing. I can't imagine that this happens frequently. However, I do have a cousin who teaches at a small private school. I think he is in contact with a lot of former students (he's been teaching for @25 years). I'm not sure if this contact is in person or by texts or social media.