Wedding Woes

Distance learning burn-out

Dear Prudence,

I’m a tenure track humanities professor. Like many, I’ve been seriously affected by the social distancing and shelter-in-place ordinances lately. It started when our institution announced we’d be switching everything online (I’d never taught online prior to this, though I’m fairly tech-savvy) and I had one week to get prepared. I worked 80 hours that first week. Ever since, I’ve been working 12-hour days, every day, to make sure classes are running adequately. I respond to emails from my countless anxious students within 24 hours (usually more like six hours). I’m exhausted. I feel more like a therapist than an instructor nowadays. I’m seeing my own therapist, but appointments are biweekly, and I feel like I need them daily. I’ve made myself available to my students as much as possible, and I feel guilty that I still have a job and remain safe (so far), while they’re struggling with unemployment, sick family members, and mental health issues.

I’ve tried establishing boundaries by limiting “email hours” and cutting back on check-in emails, but I still feel like I’m running on fumes. I give up on my boundaries so easily when another sob story comes through my inbox. Since I’m not tenured yet, I’m terrified of students complaining (which could lead to a denial of tenure when I’m up for review). How am I supposed to last another eight weeks of overtime when I can barely manage my own needs anymore?

—Not a Psychologist

Re: Distance learning burn-out

• This is one of those times that I think it's time to join some kind of group for people in a similar field.

Educators at all levels are encountering a similar situation.   The LW is not alone in this and there may be other coping mechanisms and educational tools that exist to help facilitate progress for her and her students.   None of this is easy and kids and adults alike are learning as we go.  The important thing IMO is to go into all aspects with an open mind right now.  
  • LW needs to set harder limits on when they check their email and how long they take to respond. I wonder if the college is providing any sort of mental health resources LW could direct students to.

• While I don't know much about the educational field or tenure track, it's hard for me to picture anything being wrong with setting online "office hours", so to speak.  It can be a mass e-mail to the students that the LW will no longer be checking e-mails/responding to PMs/whatever between the hours of 7PM-8AM...or whatever times the LW feels would be appropriate and acceptable with their institution.  They should also add something like they will respond to inquiries as quickly as possible, but it can take up to 24 (or 48) hours.  Most people are very reasonable when they at least know what to expect.

For e-mails that are more about students being generally upset, but not related to the LW's courses, they should put together some "copy and paste" templates for answers.  Something like, "I'm sorry to hear about XYZ.  I know these are really tough and challenging times.  These are some organizations that might be able to help (insert appropriate contact info for the state's unemployment/mental health/etc.)."  Especially if the school has online mental health resources like @downtowndiva mentioned, that would be a great place to refer students to.

Because the signature line says it all.  They are NOT a psychologist and, quite frankly, talking to students about personal problems should only be done very lightly and only if it relates to something specific with the student and the classwork.  That's a very fine line they need to be treading.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I want to know about the solution to this problem