Wedding Woes

Is your wedding even still happening?

Dear Prudence,

My partner and I are two cisgender, straight meteorologists getting married to each other. Is having rainbow color schemes and rainbows appropriating a symbol of the gay community? Should I stick to clouds, rain drops, and thunderbolts?

—Weather-Girl Wedding

Re: Is your wedding even still happening?

• I appreciate that LW did think of it.  I would not care and I really can't think of any of my queer friends that would either.  I think I'd keep away from using an actual rainbow flag at any point, but that's the only thing I can think of that if I saw, I'd assume it was a wedding of queerfolx.
  • Rainbows are fine, but I would think a "weather" theme is better than a "rainbow only" theme for this couple.  So they could also include clouds and the sun.  I think of rain and thunder bolts being a more "bad" weather association, so they may not want to incorporate those weather elements. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would probably add a weather - theme vs rainbow but as long as they aren't picking the flag itself I think it's fine.   The rainbow is also a symbol for people having a healthy baby after a miscarriage or infant loss and is not exclusive to gay pride. 
  • Putting my own aversion to wedding themes aside, I thinkas long as the couple doesn't use the rainbow flag, it's totally okay to have rainbows in the color scheme/decor. Rainbows themselves have meant a lot of different things to a lot of different people over the centuries.
  • I think rainbows are fine, but maybe the flag is too much.