Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding inside of a bubble?

So thanks to coronavirus, my husband and I have had to make alterations to our wedding. I don’t think I have to put this in, but this isn’t a joke and need we thoughts on this.

We’re planning on having our full, entire wedding inside this bubble (I’m inside it for scale). This is to get complete isolation from the virus and to prevent it from spreading to either of us, or if we have the virus somehow, spreading it to others. Both of will get inside it for the whole day (or at least that’s the plan). We are ok with making small to moderate changes from a typical wedding if it means isolating inside a bubble, but any big changes would mean we probably won’t use the bubble then. Are there any parts in the wedding that would be difficult or downright impossible to do inside this bubble? What are your thoughts on this idea, and what would need to be changed from a traditional wedding?



Re: Wedding inside of a bubble?

  • jennie100 said:

    So thanks to coronavirus, my husband and I have had to make alterations to our wedding. I don’t think I have to put this in, but this isn’t a joke and need we thoughts on this.

    We’re planning on having our full, entire wedding inside this bubble (I’m inside it for scale). This is to get complete isolation from the virus and to prevent it from spreading to either of us, or if we have the virus somehow, spreading it to others. Both of will get inside it for the whole day (or at least that’s the plan). We are ok with making small to moderate changes from a typical wedding if it means isolating inside a bubble, but any big changes would mean we probably won’t use the bubble then. Are there any parts in the wedding that would be difficult or downright impossible to do inside this bubble? What are your thoughts on this idea, and what would need to be changed from a traditional wedding?



    Going to the bathroom? Cutting the cake? Eating,well, anything?

    Would everyone be outside the bubble? If so then sure you’re protecting yourselves but everyone else runs the risk of being sick. Or if there are no guests then you don’t really need the bubble. 
    short+sassy
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    jennie100 said:

    So thanks to coronavirus, my husband and I have had to make alterations to our wedding. I don’t think I have to put this in, but this isn’t a joke and need we thoughts on this.

    We’re planning on having our full, entire wedding inside this bubble (I’m inside it for scale). This is to get complete isolation from the virus and to prevent it from spreading to either of us, or if we have the virus somehow, spreading it to others. Both of will get inside it for the whole day (or at least that’s the plan). We are ok with making small to moderate changes from a typical wedding if it means isolating inside a bubble, but any big changes would mean we probably won’t use the bubble then. Are there any parts in the wedding that would be difficult or downright impossible to do inside this bubble? What are your thoughts on this idea, and what would need to be changed from a traditional wedding?



    Going to the bathroom? Cutting the cake? Eating,well, anything?

    Would everyone be outside the bubble? If so then sure you’re protecting yourselves but everyone else runs the risk of being sick. Or if there are no guests then you don’t really need the bubble. 

    We have considered getting multiple bubbles for those who need it more. This bubbles don't come cheap though, and the more we get the more impractical it gets and harder to manage. We were thinking of everyone needing to isolate themselves 14 days before the wedding. And then, they would still need to socially distance once they come.

    As for the other questions, of course we would need to get out of the bubble for that. For eating we have thought to dine at a separate table. Otherwise food can be received inside the bubble. Cutting the cake can't be done sadly
  • levioosalevioosa Southern California member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    So you two will be protected but screw your guests? No. This isn’t practical or doable. And requiring everyone to isolate 14 days before the wedding? You know you can’t mandate that, right? 


    image
    charlotte989875short+sassyJen4948
  • levioosalevioosa Southern California member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    jennie100 said:
    jennie100 said:

    So thanks to coronavirus, my husband and I have had to make alterations to our wedding. I don’t think I have to put this in, but this isn’t a joke and need we thoughts on this.

    We’re planning on having our full, entire wedding inside this bubble (I’m inside it for scale). This is to get complete isolation from the virus and to prevent it from spreading to either of us, or if we have the virus somehow, spreading it to others. Both of will get inside it for the whole day (or at least that’s the plan). We are ok with making small to moderate changes from a typical wedding if it means isolating inside a bubble, but any big changes would mean we probably won’t use the bubble then. Are there any parts in the wedding that would be difficult or downright impossible to do inside this bubble? What are your thoughts on this idea, and what would need to be changed from a traditional wedding?



    Going to the bathroom? Cutting the cake? Eating,well, anything?

    Would everyone be outside the bubble? If so then sure you’re protecting yourselves but everyone else runs the risk of being sick. Or if there are no guests then you don’t really need the bubble. 

    We have considered getting multiple bubbles for those who need it more. This bubbles don't come cheap though, and the more we get the more impractical it gets and harder to manage. We were thinking of everyone needing to isolate themselves 14 days before the wedding. And then, they would still need to socially distance once they come.

    As for the other questions, of course we would need to get out of the bubble for that. For eating we have thought to dine at a separate table. Otherwise food can be received inside the bubble. Cutting the cake can't be done sadly
    JIC


    image
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    I don't think this is really practical. 
    -Do the balls have air holes?  Do they filter the air?  If they don't have air holes then you're not going to be comfortable in there after a short time.   And if they have air holes then what protection are they offering? 

    -Please DO NOT ask your guests to isolate for 14 days before your wedding.   What would that mean/entail?  Are you going to ask them to not go to their jobs?  To the grocery stores?  To doctor appointments if that's possible?  If you have any front line workers would you just tell them they're not invited? 

    I understand that this is a unique time and unfortunately that is going to mean that you still can't tell your guests what to do here.   If the spread of a disease is going to be a concern (and it is!) then IMO you need to shrink that guest list down to a bare minimum and have the big celebration on a different day. 
    short+sassyJen4948
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot Atlanta member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I'm having a really hard time believing this is not a joke. 
    levioosaclimbingwifecharlotte989875Jen4948
  • Is this some sort of joke?
    image
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    banana468 said:
    I don't think this is really practical. 
    -Do the balls have air holes?  Do they filter the air?  If they don't have air holes then you're not going to be comfortable in there after a short time.   And if they have air holes then what protection are they offering? 

    -Please DO NOT ask your guests to isolate for 14 days before your wedding.   What would that mean/entail?  Are you going to ask them to not go to their jobs?  To the grocery stores?  To doctor appointments if that's possible?  If you have any front line workers would you just tell them they're not invited? 

    I understand that this is a unique time and unfortunately that is going to mean that you still can't tell your guests what to do here.   If the spread of a disease is going to be a concern (and it is!) then IMO you need to shrink that guest list down to a bare minimum and have the big celebration on a different day. 
    The bubble is airtight and do not filter air. I was inside for about 2 hours before I had trouble breathing, so it is quite a while and we can refill air every few hours.

    Many of our guests don't work as front-line workers. We have decided to hold the wedding outdoors and have already minimized the amount of people coming to the wedding (as it will be livestreamed privately on YouTube for those who are high risk, don't want to come, or cant make it)
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2
    levioosa said:
    So you two will be protected but screw your guests? No. This isn’t practical or doable. And requiring everyone to isolate 14 days before the wedding? You know you can’t mandate that, right? 
    So what are your suggestions? Get bubbles for everyone? Or get proper PPE equipment?
    I'm having a really hard time believing this is not a joke. 

    I know this idea may seem stupid or silly to some, but it is genuine, which is why I'm asking
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Honestly, if you're going to do this then you two do it and know that it's going to be awkward. 
    charlotte989875
  • levioosalevioosa Southern California member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    jennie100 said:
    levioosa said:
    So you two will be protected but screw your guests? No. This isn’t practical or doable. And requiring everyone to isolate 14 days before the wedding? You know you can’t mandate that, right? 
    So what are your suggestions? Get bubbles for everyone? Or get proper PPE equipment?
    I'm having a really hard time believing this is not a joke. 

    I know this idea may seem stupid or silly to some, but it is genuine, which is why I'm asking
    You should postpone. Or get married now and have a celebration with everyone when it is safe. And that will still probably have limits on gathering numbers as well as face coverings for everyone able to wear one. 


    image
    MyNameIsNotcharlotte989875short+sassydowntondiva
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2
    levioosa said:
    jennie100 said:
    levioosa said:
    So you two will be protected but screw your guests? No. This isn’t practical or doable. And requiring everyone to isolate 14 days before the wedding? You know you can’t mandate that, right? 
    So what are your suggestions? Get bubbles for everyone? Or get proper PPE equipment?
    I'm having a really hard time believing this is not a joke. 

    I know this idea may seem stupid or silly to some, but it is genuine, which is why I'm asking
    You should postpone. Or get married now and have a celebration with everyone when it is safe. And that will still probably have limits on gathering numbers as well as face coverings for everyone able to wear one. 

    Should we still use the bubble if we postpone instead? There is still a chance of catching the virus with masks
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    jennie100 said:
    levioosa said:
    jennie100 said:
    levioosa said:
    So you two will be protected but screw your guests? No. This isn’t practical or doable. And requiring everyone to isolate 14 days before the wedding? You know you can’t mandate that, right? 
    So what are your suggestions? Get bubbles for everyone? Or get proper PPE equipment?
    I'm having a really hard time believing this is not a joke. 

    I know this idea may seem stupid or silly to some, but it is genuine, which is why I'm asking
    You should postpone. Or get married now and have a celebration with everyone when it is safe. And that will still probably have limits on gathering numbers as well as face coverings for everyone able to wear one. 

    Should we still use the bubble if we postpone instead? There is still a chance of catching the virus with masks
    If you're getting in and out of the bubble then how's that going to help?  And what good does it do if you're in a bubble and have to have muffled / off conversations with the guests? 

    Have a wedding with people when it's safe.  You can get the virus with masks and if that means a to be determined date or a really small wedding those may need to be your options. 
    charlotte989875
  • I appreciate the thinking outside the box bubble!  But I just don't see this as being practical or doable for a few reasons.

    The biggest etiquette no-no for me is, unless you get bubbles for all your guests, you're treating your guests differently than what you are doing for yourselves.  Asking your guests to self-quarantine for 14 days before the wedding is a HUGE ask and way out of line.  I have been big on staying at home unless absolutely necessary, but I still wouldn't agree to that even if it was my sister or BFF getting married.

    It's airtight and you said you were comfortable for about 2 hours.  That's only two hours for a ceremony and reception, which isn't much time.  And would you and your FI going to be in the same bubble or separate bubbles?  Because if it is the same one, now I assume it's only about 1 hour of air.  Or, if it's separate, you can't have any physical contact with your new H during the ceremony or reception.

    Depending on your area and when your wedding will be, it might be fairly safe for everyone (including you all) to wear masks and social distance.  I'd have masks available to guests.  But then, you also potentially run into a problem of what if there are guests who refuse to wear a mask.  Are you willing to kick out Uncle Fred, if he refuses?

    Or, if either yourself and/or your FI don't feel safe unless you're in the bubbles, I think your best bet is to have a private ceremony with just an officiant and throw a celebration party later, when it is safe to do so. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    banana468charlotte989875
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    banana468 said:
    jennie100 said:
    levioosa said:
    jennie100 said:
    levioosa said:
    So you two will be protected but screw your guests? No. This isn’t practical or doable. And requiring everyone to isolate 14 days before the wedding? You know you can’t mandate that, right? 
    So what are your suggestions? Get bubbles for everyone? Or get proper PPE equipment?
    I'm having a really hard time believing this is not a joke. 

    I know this idea may seem stupid or silly to some, but it is genuine, which is why I'm asking
    You should postpone. Or get married now and have a celebration with everyone when it is safe. And that will still probably have limits on gathering numbers as well as face coverings for everyone able to wear one. 

    Should we still use the bubble if we postpone instead? There is still a chance of catching the virus with masks
    If you're getting in and out of the bubble then how's that going to help?  And what good does it do if you're in a bubble and have to have muffled / off conversations with the guests? 

    Have a wedding with people when it's safe.  You can get the virus with masks and if that means a to be determined date or a really small wedding those may need to be your options. 

    The bubble supports air for quite a while. It is an outdoor wedding too, so when we need to refill the air, it can be done without contamination. Other people on here suggested getting bubbles for other guests too for complete protection.
    I appreciate the thinking outside the box bubble!  But I just don't see this as being practical or doable for a few reasons.

    The biggest etiquette no-no for me is, unless you get bubbles for all your guests, you're treating your guests differently than what you are doing for yourselves.  Asking your guests to self-quarantine for 14 days before the wedding is a HUGE ask and way out of line.  I have been big on staying at home unless absolutely necessary, but I still wouldn't agree to that even if it was my sister or BFF getting married.

    It's airtight and you said you were comfortable for about 2 hours.  That's only two hours for a ceremony and reception, which isn't much time.  And would you and your FI going to be in the same bubble or separate bubbles?  Because if it is the same one, now I assume it's only about 1 hour of air.  Or, if it's separate, you can't have any physical contact with your new H during the ceremony or reception.

    Depending on your area and when your wedding will be, it might be fairly safe for everyone (including you all) to wear masks and social distance.  I'd have masks available to guests.  But then, you also potentially run into a problem of what if there are guests who refuse to wear a mask.  Are you willing to kick out Uncle Fred, if he refuses?

    Or, if either yourself and/or your FI don't feel safe unless you're in the bubbles, I think your best bet is to have a private ceremony with just an officiant and throw a celebration party later, when it is safe to do so. 

    Thanks!

    Both of us are going inside the bubble. We would need to refill the air inside the bubble roughly about every hour or so, so this isn't too much of a problem as we can properly time all the events. Worse case for staying inside for too long is feeling lightheaded. It wouldn't be a good idea to stay inside the whole time in 1 go however.

    We are going to have the wedding in rural Delaware. We have not been hit too bad, but we still need safety precautions. If people are unwilling to wear a mask, they're putting others at risk, so we would kick out Uncle Fred. I talked to my husband and we could get multiple bubbles instead of just 1 for ourselves. For those who feel unsafe, want more protection, or at a higher risk, they could use the bubble to stay safe. Those who don't want to use the bubbles don't have to. We could sorta make it like a theme.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    Sorry, but it looks as though you are protecting yourselves at everyone else's expense, and that's rude. If you don't want to be exposed to other people's potentially contagious medical conditions, your only polite option is not to invite them. That means no "themes" about bubbles that protect you from everyone else.
    MyNameIsNot
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    Jen4948 said:
    Sorry, but it looks as though you are protecting yourselves at everyone else's expense, and that's rude. If you don't want to be exposed to other people's potentially contagious medical conditions, your only polite option is not to invite them. That means no "themes" about bubbles that protect you from everyone else.

    Cant this said to be the same thing with masks?
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    jennie100 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Sorry, but it looks as though you are protecting yourselves at everyone else's expense, and that's rude. If you don't want to be exposed to other people's potentially contagious medical conditions, your only polite option is not to invite them. That means no "themes" about bubbles that protect you from everyone else.

    Cant this said to be the same thing with masks?
    No.
  • jennie100 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Sorry, but it looks as though you are protecting yourselves at everyone else's expense, and that's rude. If you don't want to be exposed to other people's potentially contagious medical conditions, your only polite option is not to invite them. That means no "themes" about bubbles that protect you from everyone else.

    Cant this said to be the same thing with masks?
    Not if you’re providing masks to everyone there, and wearing them yourselves. Unless of course you are providing bubbles to everyone and refilling everyone’s bubbles every hour. Honestly that just doesn’t seem feasible especially given people will need to eat, mobility issues, the bathroom, etc. I get you’re trying to find a way to make this work but honestly I can’t imagine how this is the solution. 
  • maine7mobmaine7mob member
    500 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This is in no way comparable to a mask. The bubble only protects you (and I would argue that it likely doesn't. You are filling it with air from the outside, which could easily contain virus particles and then you'd be sitting there breathing that virus in and out, with no access to fresh air except when you refill. The duration of exposure to the virus would be greater than if you were out there in the air.) If every single guest wears a mask, you will all be that much more protected.

    I don't mean to be unkind, but the bubble idea is ridiculous. Maybe you meant it seriously, but it is not a serious idea. I get that you don't want to dress up and cover your face with a mask, but if you are that concerned about protecting yourselves and your guests, you will have to come up with a better idea.

    Why not an outdoor, unmasked wedding? Why not just have a few friends and family? Elope and then have a big party next summer? Or even a plexiglass screen between you and your masked guests in your venue?

    But that bubble has got to go.
    banana468charlotte989875Jen4948levioosa
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    maine7mob said:
    This is in no way comparable to a mask. The bubble only protects you (and I would argue that it likely doesn't. You are filling it with air from the outside, which could easily contain virus particles and then you'd be sitting there breathing that virus in and out, with no access to fresh air except when you refill. The duration of exposure to the virus would be greater than if you were out there in the air.) If every single guest wears a mask, you will all be that much more protected.

    I don't mean to be unkind, but the bubble idea is ridiculous. Maybe you meant it seriously, but it is not a serious idea. I get that you don't want to dress up and cover your face with a mask, but if you are that concerned about protecting yourselves and your guests, you will have to come up with a better idea.

    Why not an outdoor, unmasked wedding? Why not just have a few friends and family? Elope and then have a big party next summer? Or even a plexiglass screen between you and your masked guests in your venue?

    But that bubble has got to go.
    All of that.   I can't see how a bubble is possible for anything.   If you want a drink, to eat, to go to the bathroom, to dance, to talk to people to talk to guests separately....and you're STUCK with your groom in there for hours? 

    At that point you're almost a show if your guests can't really come up to talk to you.

    Covid sucks.   I appreciate that you're coming up with a unique solution but I really think this isn't the way to go. 
    charlotte989875short+sassy
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    maine7mob said:
    This is in no way comparable to a mask. The bubble only protects you (and I would argue that it likely doesn't. You are filling it with air from the outside, which could easily contain virus particles and then you'd be sitting there breathing that virus in and out, with no access to fresh air except when you refill. The duration of exposure to the virus would be greater than if you were out there in the air.) If every single guest wears a mask, you will all be that much more protected.

    I don't mean to be unkind, but the bubble idea is ridiculous. Maybe you meant it seriously, but it is not a serious idea. I get that you don't want to dress up and cover your face with a mask, but if you are that concerned about protecting yourselves and your guests, you will have to come up with a better idea.

    Why not an outdoor, unmasked wedding? Why not just have a few friends and family? Elope and then have a big party next summer? Or even a plexiglass screen between you and your masked guests in your venue?

    But that bubble has got to go.

    Actually we were going to do an outdoor wedding with this bubble, with everyone still masked, so that way we could have a fairly sized wedding without cutting everyone off. The virus does poorly spreading outside in the air, so it would be unlikely if it got caught inside. The other idea would be providing bubbles for everyone, but others in this thread have provided good points about the problems the bubbles will bring up. Simple things like getting a drink of water or snack will be inconvenient and arduous. The most I can think to use the bubble right now is during the wedding entrances, photo time, and our dance, as all of these have been done before and can be seen online.
  • banana468banana468 member
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    jennie100 said:
    maine7mob said:
    This is in no way comparable to a mask. The bubble only protects you (and I would argue that it likely doesn't. You are filling it with air from the outside, which could easily contain virus particles and then you'd be sitting there breathing that virus in and out, with no access to fresh air except when you refill. The duration of exposure to the virus would be greater than if you were out there in the air.) If every single guest wears a mask, you will all be that much more protected.

    I don't mean to be unkind, but the bubble idea is ridiculous. Maybe you meant it seriously, but it is not a serious idea. I get that you don't want to dress up and cover your face with a mask, but if you are that concerned about protecting yourselves and your guests, you will have to come up with a better idea.

    Why not an outdoor, unmasked wedding? Why not just have a few friends and family? Elope and then have a big party next summer? Or even a plexiglass screen between you and your masked guests in your venue?

    But that bubble has got to go.

    Actually we were going to do an outdoor wedding with this bubble, with everyone still masked, so that way we could have a fairly sized wedding without cutting everyone off. The virus does poorly spreading outside in the air, so it would be unlikely if it got caught inside. The other idea would be providing bubbles for everyone, but others in this thread have provided good points about the problems the bubbles will bring up. Simple things like getting a drink of water or snack will be inconvenient and arduous. The most I can think to use the bubble right now is during the wedding entrances, photo time, and our dance, as all of these have been done before and can be seen online.
    If you two want to marry in a bubble and then be masked for the reception that could be an idea.

    But IMO, a reception with the two of you in a bubble is so so bad.
    charlotte989875
  • jennie100jennie100 member
    First Comment
    banana468 said:
    jennie100 said:
    maine7mob said:
    This is in no way comparable to a mask. The bubble only protects you (and I would argue that it likely doesn't. You are filling it with air from the outside, which could easily contain virus particles and then you'd be sitting there breathing that virus in and out, with no access to fresh air except when you refill. The duration of exposure to the virus would be greater than if you were out there in the air.) If every single guest wears a mask, you will all be that much more protected.

    I don't mean to be unkind, but the bubble idea is ridiculous. Maybe you meant it seriously, but it is not a serious idea. I get that you don't want to dress up and cover your face with a mask, but if you are that concerned about protecting yourselves and your guests, you will have to come up with a better idea.

    Why not an outdoor, unmasked wedding? Why not just have a few friends and family? Elope and then have a big party next summer? Or even a plexiglass screen between you and your masked guests in your venue?

    But that bubble has got to go.

    Actually we were going to do an outdoor wedding with this bubble, with everyone still masked, so that way we could have a fairly sized wedding without cutting everyone off. The virus does poorly spreading outside in the air, so it would be unlikely if it got caught inside. The other idea would be providing bubbles for everyone, but others in this thread have provided good points about the problems the bubbles will bring up. Simple things like getting a drink of water or snack will be inconvenient and arduous. The most I can think to use the bubble right now is during the wedding entrances, photo time, and our dance, as all of these have been done before and can be seen online.
    If you two want to marry in a bubble and then be masked for the reception that could be an idea.

    But IMO, a reception with the two of you in a bubble is so so bad.
    Yeah, I think that seems like the best way to use the bubble and would look good too. This seems to be the safest way also. Right now, instead of being inside the bubble the whole time, we'll use

  • ILoveBeachMusicILoveBeachMusic Indiana member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I too think the bubble is a bad idea. If your entire ceremony plus reception are outside, people are social distancing and wearing masks, then you are cutting the risk extremely low. I know this is an unprecedented time, but people have to figure out how to go on with life using precautions that are practical and beneficial in order to have a life. This bubble is not practical and as PP pointed out, it is filled with air that could potentially be contaminated so it isn't necessarily beneficial. You can't get the risk down to zero unless you don't have guests at all, make sure the room is sanitized, and distance from your officiant. I think you are best off having a private ceremony and celebrate later. Also, no you can't require your guests to self isolate for 14 days.
    Jen4948short+sassy
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards