Wedding Woes

Way too harsh, Tai.

Dear Prudence,

My girlfriend is pregnant and moved back home with her parents while I work an “essential” job with incredibly long hours. If I get home, shower, and eat, it’s a win. On my days off I try to schedule video chats with my loved ones, but I don’t have energy for much else. I’ve asked people not to text or call me on days I’m working unless it is an emergency.  My girlfriend can’t get it through her head. She agrees, then gets bored and texts me several times a day. I don’t want to block her phone in case something happens to the baby, but getting a dozen messages of “U ok?” “You ok?” “You okay?” is like sandpaper on the skin. It breeds anxiety and angst. I want to be with her, but I can’t leave my job, and her parents are pampering her. The baby isn’t due until late November.

I have been ignoring her texts for the past week, and when we video-chatted, she pouted and accused me of not being a “supportive papa.” I lost my temper and told her that her mommy made her breakfast in bed the last three days and she spent all her time on Instagram modeling clothes her daddy bought her, I have actually been working like an adult. She cried and hung up. We apologized to each other, but she is still texting me. I want to beat my head against the wall. Her parents refuse to accept any money from me and say they will take care of their “little girl.” We were together nine months before this, and I don’t know if I want to continue the relationship. It is stupid. It is childish. But she keeps texting me, and I am going insane. I will be there for the baby, but my commitment to our relationship is wavering. My mother was a military spouse with five kids and never acted like this. Help!

—Stop Texting

Re: Way too harsh, Tai.

• Pregnancy during covid sucks. It’s lonely, it’s isolating, and it’s terrifying. I don’t care if she’s due tomorrow or November, it’s not comparable to being pregnant in a non-pandemic time. Cut her some slack. She’s carrying your child, you’re an adult in a relationship, and yes your circumstances are hard, but that doesn’t give you license to be an ass. 

If you want out of the relationship, that’s fine, but handle it like an adult. Don’t insult her or call her names. Someone is being childish here but it’s not her. 
  • DO. NOT. COMPARE. YOUR. GIRLFRIEND. TO. YOUR. MOTHER. OR. ANYONE. ELSE. 

Anyway, please do try to be more patient with your girlfriend. Yes, as an essential worker, you are dealing with a lot right now. But everyone has something that they are dealing with right now, even if it's not the same stuff as you. And that includes your girlfriend. She is pregnant during the worst global pandemic in a century, which is scary, and she's probably very worried about you as well. If you are finding her frequent texts to be too much or you truly cannot respond while you're at work, gently explain to her that while you appreciate her concern about you, it isn't possible for you to be constantly responding to her while you're on the job and she needs to understand that you aren't available during that time. You should be able to have this conversation without insulting her or accusing her parents of spoiling her.

And as tired as you may be at the end of a work day, I do think you should make a little more effort to keep in touch with your girlfriend on those days, even if it's just a brief text conversation to check in and say hi. It's understandable that you don't want to talk to friends or even parents on those days, but this is your girlfriend and the mother of your child. I don't think it's fair to expect her to be totally okay with not hearing from you at all.
  • These sound like two people who shouldn't be raising a child together. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Any shred of respect/being on "his side" I had for LW flew out the window during his last sentence when he compared his partner to his mother.  Vomit!  What an ignorant loser.

I hate to say this and sound like one of those "no ring no bring" brides who judges the length of people's relationships, but if they were together for 9 months before he wrote the letter, that's September.  So they conceived a baby after five months together.  That's a lot of role changes/expectations of a new relationship even without the pandemic in the mix.  My favorite of LW's lines are the ones that admit the commitment to the relationship are wavering.  LW's partner deserves better, I just hope he can be honest with her and say that out loud, instead of staying in the relationship "for the baby's sake".
  • I see his point.  I definitely see his point.  Because I won't deal with someone, SO or not, who expects multiple text responses when I've already laid down parameters.

Since his g/f hasn't respected his and then gets upset when he doesn't reply back to her as much.  Just like he told her he can't.  I'd just tell my SO flat-out that I am no longer even looking at my phone during work hours and will have it turned off.  If an actual emergency happens, then they can call the landline at my work.

With that said, he also needs to be more flexible and understanding.  I don't care how many hours he's worked and how tired he is.  He can take one minute a day.  Just one minute.  And at least text his g/f back to exchange pleasantries and tell her he misses her.

As an example, I previously had a tenant I needed to contact every single month about her rent.  And it was a "good" month if I didn't have to do it multiple times because she ignored the first text.  On months where I had to send a second text, here is almost the exact same text conversation we would have every time:

"Hey Tenant, I sent you a text yesterday about the late rent, but haven't heard back.  It's important I know what is happening, so I can plan accordingly."

"(Excuse why her rent was late then...)  I was working yesterday and I've TOLD you that I can't text at work."

"Yes, I fully understand that.  And I have told you that is fine and I don't expect or get upset, if I you don't reply back right away.  However, I have also told you that I do expect a response back within 24 hours."

Not that I ever said this to her, because what would be the point.  But I always wanted to add, "Because I'm sure you can find less than one minute to text me back over an entire day and night."  Same goes for the LW.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2020
    I see his point.  I definitely see his point.  Because I won't deal with someone, SO or not, who expects multiple text responses when I've already laid down parameters.

I see his point too.  I can also see DH feeling the *same* way this dude does if I were to be this way, especially when he's super busy at work (like he is now due to an audit).  DH gets uber high strung under stress, if he feels it's coming from all directions. I don't discount that LW is under a ton of pressure between having a pregnant GF and working an essential job. But 16 years into our relationship, I have the benefit of time to navigate and also express to DH why his behavior is bothersome. . 

But this guy takes it too far by insulting her, expecting her not to 'need' him even though she's pregnant with his child, and treating her as everyone else when she's supposedly his partner.  He's got 5 min in a day to be in contact with her.  

He tries so hard to paint her as immature (by calling her a 'little girl' and referring to her 'pouting'...gross), but he doesn't realize how bad he sounds by being so dismissive.  They're in a tough spot because the relationship is so new, then they got pregnant and decided to proceed with the pregnancy, and are now separated, for good reason, but still.  

Again, another letter where the other perspective would be very interesting.  I know if I was being treated this way while pregnant, mine would be full of very inventive cuss words. LOL
  • I see his point.  I definitely see his point.  Because I won't deal with someone, SO or not, who expects multiple text responses when I've already laid down parameters.

Since his g/f hasn't respected his and then gets upset when he doesn't reply back to her as much.  Just like he told her he can't.  I'd just tell my SO flat-out that I am no longer even looking at my phone during work hours and will have it turned off.  If an actual emergency happens, then they can call the landline at my work.

With that said, he also needs to be more flexible and understanding.  I don't care how many hours he's worked and how tired he is.  He can take one minute a day.  Just one minute.  And at least text his g/f back to exchange pleasantries and tell her he misses her.

As an example, I previously had a tenant I needed to contact every single month about her rent.  And it was a "good" month if I didn't have to do it multiple times because she ignored the first text.  On months where I had to send a second text, here is almost the exact same text conversation we would have every time:

"Hey Tenant, I sent you a text yesterday about the late rent, but haven't heard back.  It's important I know what is happening, so I can plan accordingly."

"(Excuse why her rent was late then...)  I was working yesterday and I've TOLD you that I can't text at work."

"Yes, I fully understand that.  And I have told you that is fine and I don't expect or get upset, if I you don't reply back right away.  However, I have also told you that I do expect a response back within 24 hours."

Not that I ever said this to her, because what would be the point.  But I always wanted to add, "Because I'm sure you can find less than one minute to text me back over an entire day and night."  Same goes for the LW.
    I agree with you 100%.  He has set boundaries, she's not respecting them -in terms of communication during work hours.  If she needs him to check in daily - he should respect that as well and make an effort to talk to her before or after shifts either via text or actually calling.  I think they both have work to do and ultimately the relationship may not work if they can't both respect each other needs and boundaries. 
  • Casadena said:
    I see his point.  I definitely see his point.  Because I won't deal with someone, SO or not, who expects multiple text responses when I've already laid down parameters.

I agree with you 100%.  He has set boundaries, she's not respecting them -in terms of communication during work hours.  If she needs him to check in daily - he should respect that as well and make an effort to talk to her before or after shifts either via text or actually calling.  I think they both have work to do and ultimately the relationship may not work if they can't both respect each other needs and boundaries. 
    This is why I'm really trying to see both sides here.

I just rarely talk to DH in a work day and we're both at computers.   And even when expecting I wasn't constantly checking in.   And he'd mention that there were several guys he worked with that were constantly on the phone with their SOs and it was not something that worked for him.   

But when pregnant I'd really be sad if we couldn't get time together.   And I'm guessing her parents are being nice to her because they can and because he's not there.   And he needs to meet her needs too.