Wedding Party
Options

No bridal party; only maid of honor and best man

Hey guys! I’m new here to these discussion boards and everything that goes with wedding planning, so bear with me. Here’s the deal: me and my boyfriend are not engaged yet but we’re basically already beginning the planning process since a less hectic summer schedule allows us to (he is trying to plan the perfect surprise to pop the question, so it’s happening some time soon.) 

We are certain that we want a small wedding (approx. 50-60 people.) this means that we don’t want the hassle of a bridal party, but still want a maid of honor and best man by our side.  

So my questions are: How do I go about finding a dress/suit for them that doesn’t look out of place/matches a color scheme? Any tips or personal experience on how to extend the length of the ceremony without having a wedding party walk down the aisle?

Any experience or tips are appreciated!

Re: No bridal party; only maid of honor and best man

• Options
    Hey guys! I’m new here to these discussion boards and everything that goes with wedding planning, so bear with me. Here’s the deal: me and my boyfriend are not engaged yet but we’re basically already beginning the planning process since a less hectic summer schedule allows us to (he is trying to plan the perfect surprise to pop the question, so it’s happening some time soon.) 

We are certain that we want a small wedding (approx. 50-60 people.) this means that we don’t want the hassle of a bridal party, but still want a maid of honor and best man by our side.  

So my questions are: How do I go about finding a dress/suit for them that doesn’t look out of place/matches a color scheme? Any tips or personal experience on how to extend the length of the ceremony without having a wedding party walk down the aisle?

Any experience or tips are appreciated!

If you are actively planning a wedding, you are engaged. Engagements don't require a ring or an "official" proposal. 

A MOH and BM are a wedding party. It's very common to have small wedding parties with only 1-2 on each side. Choosing their attire is the same if there is 1 or 12 on your side. You privately ask them for a budget and any attire restrictions, and then look for something that fits the style and color and together, you choose from there. Even easier, give them color/formality guidelines and let them choose their own. 

I've been MOH when I was the only person on the bride's side twice. In both weddings, I walked down the aisle before the bride. Not sure why you'd skip that. 
  • Options

If you are actively planning a wedding, you are engaged. Engagements don't require a ring or an "official" proposal. 

A MOH and BM are a wedding party. It's very common to have small wedding parties with only 1-2 on each side. Choosing their attire is the same if there is 1 or 12 on your side. You privately ask them for a budget and any attire restrictions, and then look for something that fits the style and color and together, you choose from there. Even easier, give them color/formality guidelines and let them choose their own. 

I've been MOH when I was the only person on the bride's side twice. In both weddings, I walked down the aisle before the bride. Not sure why you'd skip that. 
    Yeah I mean getting technical with it I don’t consider myself officially engaged since nearly no one (outside of close family) knows about us even planning a wedding yet; either way it doesn’t really matter because I consider myself 100% his now and forever, with or without a ring on my hand! 

I had never thought about letting a MOH pick their own dress within certain restrictions, so that is something to consider for sure. I guess I didn’t clearly express a plan for having no wedding party walk down the aisle, but since there aren’t gonna be added bridesmaids and groomsmen, that is a chunk of time cut down from people walking down the aisle. However I am completely fine with the MOH and BM to walk down the aisle, it would just cut it very short with that being the only wedding party so I would want to make sure it isn’t sort of “awkward” or rushed feeling because of it. Not sure of the best way to accomplish that though
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2020

Yeah I mean getting technical with it I don’t consider myself officially engaged since nearly no one (outside of close family) knows about us even planning a wedding yet; either way it doesn’t really matter because I consider myself 100% his now and forever, with or without a ring on my hand! 

I had never thought about letting a MOH pick their own dress within certain restrictions, so that is something to consider for sure. I guess I didn’t clearly express a plan for having no wedding party walk down the aisle, but since there aren’t gonna be added bridesmaids and groomsmen, that is a chunk of time cut down from people walking down the aisle. However I am completely fine with the MOH and BM to walk down the aisle, it would just cut it very short with that being the only wedding party so I would want to make sure it isn’t sort of “awkward” or rushed feeling because of it. Not sure of the best way to accomplish that though

I've attended weddings with 12-minute ceremonies in a garden and two-hour ceremonies in a house of worship.  The number of people in the WP don't really impact the length of the ceremony.  I'd just go with whoever you're closest to and have your SO do the same. The number doesn't have to be the same.

ETA as far as the WP coordinating with a color scheme, I'd invite them to select their own suit/dress (my BP picked their own dresses) and then have your MOH carry a bouquet and have BM wear a boutenneire (sp?) with flowers in whatever color you want.
  • Options
    It's not the large bridal party that determines the length of the ceremony. It's all the other stuff, the vows, any religious rites, sermon, etc. If you are having a secular ceremony, those can be as short as 15 minutes and this is fine. People just want to see you say your vows and kiss.

Just pick your color and let your MOH buy/make a dress in that color. Your fiance's best man doesn't need to match her dress at all. He just needs to wear a suit or whatever is appropriate to your level of formality, and you can get him a boutonniere with a flower in the same color or close to it as the MOH's dress. Or not.

Having a small wedding party is very freeing in many respects. You don't have to worry about pleasing every taste or making sure they order their dresses in time. And if you want to pick a color that flatters your MOH, this is also possible.
  • Options
    I had a small wedding ceremony/reception (35 guests).  Overall, it was a more casual atmosphere.  Our WP was also only a Best Man and a MOH (my sister).  The Best Man was already standing at the altar with my H.  My MOH walked down alone.  Though they also could have walked down together.  I think either way is fine.  My niece and nephew were our flower girl and ring bearer.  They walked down together.

My H and his Best Man wore tuxes.  Our wedding colors were red and white.  I told my MOH that I preferred it if she wore a solid color red dress.  Or a red blouse with black pants (she's more a pants person).  But also said if there was an outfit she already owned and liked, even if it wasn't red, that was fine also.  She ended up buying a cute red dress that was only 60 bucks.  It wasn't a cocktail or formal dress.  More an "out for a nice dinner" dress, so it was also versatile for her to wear it for other things.

Our ceremony was not long.  We didn't want it to be and chose not to have any readings.  But neither my H nor I felt that its brevity subtracted from the joy and meaningfulness of the step we were taking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker