Wedding Woes
Options

"Sorry, I can't help. Also you don't have to do this, SIL."

Dear Prudence,

My mother is a difficult woman to like. She went out of her way to make us cry as children, often over things as petty as what our favorite colors were. When I was 14, my boyfriend beat me until he broke my front tooth, and she said she understood why he did it. Age did not mellow her, but she has suffered from cancer and a stroke. All four of her kids collaborate on caregiving so we can live with the balance—we give money generously and try to limit our face-to-face time.

The problem is my youngest brother’s wife, who ignores our agreement and wears herself thin accommodating my mother’s demands. Almost every hour she’s not at work, she’s running errands for our mother, driving her around, and enduring her cruelties. She doesn’t have to. We’ve made provisions for professionals whose buttons my mother can’t push as easily, but my sister-in-law insists you can’t fob off family on strangers and then gets increasingly resentful that me and my siblings don’t step in. It’s caused vicious fights between her and my brother, and my brother and the rest of us. I do feel guilty that my sister-in-law has taken up the slack that we won’t, but there’s a reason we won’t. And we all agreed to this initially. What can we do to make our sister-in-law either back off or make her life easier without actually doing any of the things she wants us to? We offered to pay her the money we give to various services, but she rejected us angrily and didn’t talk to us for a week. (Please don’t say we should just grit our teeth and take over visiting our mother. It would end badly. I do not trust myself around her and haven’t spent more than two hours at a time with her since she threw me out at 17.)

Re: "Sorry, I can't help. Also you don't have to do this, SIL."

• Options
    “i’m happy your doing these things for her, but please don’t guilt me or my other sibling to follow suit.  Our lives are all different”.

• Options
    "I have stated all the reasons why our mother deserves to have the treatment that is available to her and why that will be done by a professional and not myself.  You are welcome to take over what I will pay someone to do however this matter is not up for a discussion and your opinion on this has been noted and will not change the course of action on my part." 

Then stop the conversation.

This is probably going to be a serious difference in how the SIL was raised both in the treatment she had from her family (probably better than the LW) and the perceptions of how family is treated as they age.   The brother needs to be engaged and I hate to say "He's going to need to talk to his wife" because they are two people with unique situations but I do think she's out of line to start insinuating when it's not her mother and she didn't grow up with the treatment and the OP isn't advocating to leave mom in the street.   She's just saying that the burden of work is not on her.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I cannot stand when people who try to tell their IL's how they should operate when they did not grow up in that family of origin.  I've learned after all these years how DH's siblings deal with FIL.  Does it annoy me sometimes (especially BIL who straight up avoids him as much as he can)? YUP Am I ever going to tell him he needs to step it up? Hell no. SIL understands my position completely and is super supportive of the fact that her dad can drive me BSC.  She lives in GA, so there's little more she can do. 

Also, 'because it's fffaaaammmmilllly!' is the dumbest, flimsiest, most aggravating argument for someone subjecting themselves to a person that is abusive toward them. 
    YES!! 

My MIL / FIL talked about a discussion they had with SIL's parents and the parents insinuated that 'family takes care of family' and the concept of going into assisted care or nursing homes was cruel and not what you did.   You're supposed to move mom and dad into the house.   

MIL said, "I will go where you tell me," as she directed her attention to BIL (who lives 600 miles away from us).   There are many ways to take care of your family and to insinuate that one way is more right than another is what creates a lot of stigma around the care that the elderly receive. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    "and then gets increasingly resentful that me and my siblings don’t step in"

^that sentence is the problem here, and my advice to LW would be to ignore her.  I do feel bad that the SIL and youngest brother are fighting, but, that's their business as a couple.  SIL should knock herself out if she wants to care for the mother, but she has to chill on thinking everyone should do what she's doing.
  • Options
    I'll bet SIL is one of those martyrs.  The ones who throw themselves on barbed wire (while everyone else just walks through the open gate), who spends hours slaving in the kitchen and refusing all help so they can put out an elaborate 4 course meal and complain about doing everything themselves, who refuses to stand up for themselves so they can weep and wail about what how people just don't appreciate everything they do, the person gives unwanted and unasked for help so they can hold it over your head.
    You just described someone I work with.  You just forgot to mention “someone who stays glued to their work computer 24/7 so they can complain about how much and how late they work”. And I woulda thought that maybe you worked in my office.  If you do, come around and say Hi. Don’t be a stranger. 

• Options
    Have a talk with your brother. SIL doesn’t get to tell you and your siblings how to manage your mothers care. If SIL is unhappy she can choose not to do these things, but she doesn’t get to dictate the plan. If she continues brother really needs to step in and address it directly with his wife. 

If she’s becoming resentful and rude to you/siblings there needs to be a much clearer conversation where you tell her to stop doing these things for your mother and that the care will be managed by professionals 
  • Options
    I get that it's hard for people who grow up in functioning families to understand the dynamics of dealing with a toxic parent, but too damned bad. Brother needs to have a conversation with his wife and make her understand that this is what was agreed to, and this is what it's going to be. 
  • Options
    I wonder how much SIL knows about how LW's mother was ....

But also "but it's family" is such a fucking awful word.
    Idgaf if you're family. If you're toxic, you're toxic and this mother should be grateful the kids didn't just leave her with professionals and still help out.
  • Options
    "Thank you for being there for Mom, but you took it upon yourself to do so when you didn't have to. Stop trying to induce guilt in the rest of us because we don't. We have our own reasons why that's the case. Mom is a closed subject."