Wedding Woes
Options

Hump-ish day?

Or was that yesterday, bc of the short week?  July and August I'm not the one to define days of the week. 
We're having another cool start so kids and I are heading to an Arboredum for a walk in a bit.  Nothing else really happening.  I hope everyone is well.

Re: Hump-ish day?

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians! 🇨🇦  I wish you’d let me into your country lol. Actually, I could probably drive it if I wanted to, but I’m a plane person (and plain person).

Last wfh day for me.  My parents sign on a lake house in central IL today and I’m heading over there tomorrow to help them move and take advantage of the boat.  Also, I know this means nothing to you, but between two cash back categories for my cc’s I have 5% back on paypal, restaurants, amazon and whole foods. 
    I’m not sure if anyone knows this, but I get amazon shipments daily, shop online through paypal ALOT and I like to eat.  Also alot.
    Wait, are we NOT supposed to get Amazon shipments daily? Or perhaps thrice daily. Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Glad i wasn't the only one thinking the thank you card was weird. And it kind of makes me sad too bc DH is a very generous gift giver, especially something like this where it is someone he hasn't seen or talked to in a long time and isn't a close friend or anything but yet he sent probably a $100 gift. Not that the type of thank you given should be tied to the amount of $ spent but still. 

Not much here, trying to knock out a ton of work since we're closed Friday. My busy season is wrapping up although I'm pretty far behind so while I should be like 80% done I'm maybe 60% done with stuff. Nothing spurs work like a deadline. 

My parents offered to take baby B Fri and Sat night. We have a big fireworks show Fri night so that will be nice. He's been sleeping horribly lately and I'm just over it. I think he will do OK at their house - fingers crossed since if Fri night goes bad he will be back her for Sat night lol 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2020
    kvruns said:

Wait, are we NOT supposed to get Amazon shipments daily? Or perhaps thrice daily. Asking for a friend.
    Literally me:  “oh I need_____.  I could wait and get it next time I leave my house in five to seven business days... or just have amazon ship it to me and maybe get it tomorrow”. 
    Edit to add:  even if I DID go into an actual store, I rarely even know what aisle to look for said item.  Best have amazon workers just pull it from the warehouse shelf for me. 

• Options
    Happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the north!  

I'm off at 11:30am today and then I have a full afternoon of getting ready for the weekend. 

I got my hairs done last night.  My hair feels short now even though I only took about 2in off.  It feels so much better.  It had been almost 7 months. 

DH and I had excellent BCBC last night. I'm glad it was really good because our sex life has not been up to par for me recently due to stress and, you know, life sucking in 2020. 

Someone else needs to do Prudie tomorrow.  I'll be on the road.  

• Options
    kvruns said:

Literally me:  “oh I need_____.  I could wait and get it next time I leave my house in five to seven business days... or just have amazon ship it to me and maybe get it tomorrow”. 
    Edit to add:  even if I DID go into an actual store, I rarely even know what aisle to look for said item.  Best have amazon workers just pull it from the warehouse shelf for me. 
    I was just having this conversation with my H last night.  I have a mini hand sanitizer bottle I keep in my purse.  It's getting low and I was going to refill it from a larger bottle at home.  But I noticed the flip top isn't holding as securely as it should.

My H told me Walgreens or CVS would be a good place to get a small bottle like that.  True.  But that involves me either making a special trip or remembering I want a small bottle the next time I'm at a store like that.  Unlikely.  Nah.  I'll just order one from Amazon, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    There are so many reported cases of, "infectious, symptomatic, unmasked" reports in my city that I don't feel safe going out for even simple things, so Amazon it is.  I feel guilt about it and I just kind of sit with that.

We have a new HR manager.  This will sound shitty, but that position usually doesn't last more than 6 months.  So, I haven't bothered to remember this person's name and I probably won't, until after 6 months.  Also, again with shitty, I come to work to work.  While I don't want to be actively unhappy, I don't participate in work "games", they just tend to annoy me and there are people here I actively do not want to be friends with.  We're just fine as professional co-workers and that's it.  She sent out a "fill out your favorites" worksheet, and just, no.  I'm 43 years old, I work to live, and I have exactly as much interaction with co-workers as I want.  So I gave her about half the answers and drew lines in the rest.  My answers are also somewhat sassy.  "I don't have only one favorite food", "I don't care for sweets", and "I don't watch sports."  I just drew a line through "random fact", but I almost put, "I am a private person who dislikes forced interaction."  Just let me do my job and stop requesting this meeting in the middle of us being massively slowed down in our work b/c of a new program.

Right now, I'm just holding on for Hamilton on Friday.  That's my goal.
    Same. And I also hate forced work interactions. 

I’m off Friday but it will probably be helping SIL and her husband with the kids while they go to the funeral. It sucks but we saw them last night and told us not to go. There will be hundreds of people there in a ~200 year old church so not great ventilation. It really sucks because we want to be there for her but it’s probably not safe. They have folks coming in from all over for it and being so close to the baby it seems risky. @mynameisnot, what did you end up doing with the funeral? 

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2020
    I am mid-peel in the baby foot peel.   I love the feeling of the soft skin that is under the outer layer but DH is disgusted.   

Chiquito's tutor comes today and Friday and he is LOVING her.   She left us with about a dozen sight words to practice and he got ALL OF THEM!  I hope it's clicking that he's learning his words.   It's so cool to see.

I need to get a haircut and get myself and the kids to the Dr.   I'm hoping to do that sooner rather than later because while CT is one of the good states now I'm seriously concerned that we're going to get a bunch of cocky assholes who spread the virus and spoil it for us. 
  • Options
    We have a heat advisory today until 7PM.  Temps will be in the mid-90s, but humidity is extra high so the "feels like" temp will be 104-108!!

I am working tomorrow, but only until noon.  I was debating taking the day off but then, I had an even better idea!  I'm taking a vacation day on Mon. instead.  That way I have TWO weeks that are shorter by one day.  Plus I already know that I am NOT going to be feeling Mon., lol.

Ah!  Plus it just occurred to me that tomorrow is payday.  I get a live check instead of direct deposit, so I definitely want to come to work tomorrow, lol.

On Fri., I'm actually doing some gig work.  I have to go to Target sometime in the morning and set up three displays.  Then go back in the early evening and take them down.  90 bucks for less than 2 hours of work, not too shabby.  My H is coming with me for the evening part and then we are going out to dinner.  The takedown should take less than 30 minutes and he is looking forward to going shopping while I do that (we rarely go there).

I feel like there's all this other stuff I'll be doing over the weekend.  But, no, I guess not!  I should set some goals.  Like organizing/de-cluttering parts of the house goals.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I am mid-peel in the baby foot peel.   I love the feeling of the soft skin that is under the outer layer but DH is disgusted.   

HA!  It is gross. I need to do another one.  I loved the results. 
  • Options
    There's a lot of concern in my city (and I'm sure others) that we'll see a spike in cases after 4th of July weekend.  We didn't after Memorial Day weekend, but there were also more restrictions in place.  And we have been having spikes ever since they opened the city/state up more.

People here are pretty good about wearing masks, though certainly room for improvement.  They are required in public and the city has finally started cracking down on it, though I think more from the business end.  They created a task force about masks/social distancing and people from that group went out on Saturday to tons of places.  The mayor called out a specific Walmart that had excess violations.  That they will be visited again this week, along with any other businesses with violations, to hopefully see compliance.  And possibly being shutdown if there isn't improvement. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so annoyed with the flat out refusal to wear a mask by so many people I know.  Requiring one is not infringing on your constitutional rights, you're just a selfish idiot.  Sure, it won't keep you or other 100% safe, but it will 100% help slow the spread and keep your shit contained.  

Work is slow and i'm off tomorrow, Friday and Monday and I can't wait. H told me was slow this week too, so hopefully he actually wont' be working all day the 3 days i'm off because then i'll just end up on baby duty full-time.  That's not the goal of vacation days!
  • Options
    I’m ready for the weekend. Work was another dumpster fire yesterday. And we will be so short staffed tomorrow I want to cry. I also haven’t been sleeping super well. I just need a solid night’s sleep followed by a normally staffed day. 

My dad is doing okay. He wasn’t having a great day yesterday. They had him do a drive through for vitals and labs. I’m glad I sent my parents an oxygen reader. My grandma is still having trouble getting a test. My grandpa won’t get tested, he also refuses to wear a mask, and he keeps going out everywhere. So even if he didn’t get it from my dad, he’s going to get it from somewhere else. And if he has it he’s spreading it. It’s incredibly frustrating. 

• Options
    Casadena said:
    I'm so annoyed with the flat out refusal to wear a mask by so many people I know.  Requiring one is not infringing on your constitutional rights, you're just a selfish idiot.  Sure, it won't keep you or other 100% safe, but it will 100% help slow the spread and keep your shit contained.  

Work is slow and i'm off tomorrow, Friday and Monday and I can't wait. H told me was slow this week too, so hopefully he actually wont' be working all day the 3 days i'm off because then i'll just end up on baby duty full-time.  That's not the goal of vacation days!
    It was really dismaying to watch a recent Daily Show.  They had a graph showing the rate of COVID for the US and a few European countries.

Everyone else had lines progressively going down with recent sharp drops.  The US was progressively going down.  There was a sharp drop a few weeks ago.  But now the line is trending back up rapidly.

I also read a statistic recently...don't quote me on the specific numbers, lol...but it was something like the US has had around 25% of the COVID cases, even though we only make up about 5% of the world's population.

While I'm sure there are a lot of factors involved in why the US is SUCKING in their response to COVID, one of them is we haven't taken things seriously and soon enough, especially with mask wearing.  Some people don't wear them because they don't want to, which is stupid.  But it's disgusting that there is also a large faction that has actually made mask wearing unnecessarily politicized.

Even our own president doesn't wear a mask the vast majority of the time, smh.  The person who should be leading by example.  He can believe in whatever fantasies he wants.  I know I'm very biased, but still.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that history books will write about how he exacerbated and mismanaged this crisis.  His new campaign slogan should be "Make America Sick Again".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2020
    VarunaTT said:
    There are so many reported cases of, "infectious, symptomatic, unmasked" reports in my city that I don't feel safe going out for even simple things, so Amazon it is.  I feel guilt about it and I just kind of sit with that.

We have a new HR manager.  This will sound shitty, but that position usually doesn't last more than 6 months.  So, I haven't bothered to remember this person's name and I probably won't, until after 6 months.  Also, again with shitty, I come to work to work.  While I don't want to be actively unhappy, I don't participate in work "games", they just tend to annoy me and there are people here I actively do not want to be friends with.  We're just fine as professional co-workers and that's it.  She sent out a "fill out your favorites" worksheet, and just, no.  I'm 43 years old, I work to live, and I have exactly as much interaction with co-workers as I want.  So I gave her about half the answers and drew lines in the rest.  My answers are also somewhat sassy.  "I don't have only one favorite food", "I don't care for sweets", and "I don't watch sports."  I just drew a line through "random fact", but I almost put, "I am a private person who dislikes forced interaction."  Just let me do my job and stop requesting this meeting in the middle of us being massively slowed down in our work b/c of a new program.

I’m off Friday but it will probably be helping SIL and her husband with the kids while they go to the funeral. It sucks but we saw them last night and told us not to go. There will be hundreds of people there in a ~200 year old church so not great ventilation. It really sucks because we want to be there for her but it’s probably not safe. They have folks coming in from all over for it and being so close to the baby it seems risky. @mynameisnot, what did you end up doing with the funeral? 

We decided to go. I'm not thrilled about it, but it's a little different situation. The funeral itself will be small. I'm expecting less than 30 people, it will be indoors, but the church is quite large, so we can easily space. I'm much more concerned about the travel, but at least the area with the funeral is in a declining state. 

I think what @mrsconn said is right. There's just no right answer. 
  • Options
    Even my Trump voting MIL agrees that he should wear a mask!  

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2020
    VarunaTT said:

Wish I could go too. But I don't get off on Friday. I hate those work games too. They waste so much time. As do staff meetings where everyone has to sit and listen as everyone else describes the status of some thirty projects at a time. Emails would accomplish the same thing without wasting so much time.

My boss declared everyone in the office will get a floating holiday we can take "anytime," but since so much of the year falls inside tax season this year "anytime" = "never." 

She also gave me unnecessary snark this morning in an email. And on Wednesdays, we all order in for lunch...my order was forgotten.

Ok, pity party over now... trying to think of something positive. When I do, I promise to post it.

• Options
    VarunaTT said:

We decided to go. I'm not thrilled about it, but it's a little different situation. The funeral itself will be small. I'm expecting less than 30 people, it will be indoors, but the church is quite large, so we can easily space. I'm much more concerned about the travel, but at least the area with the funeral is in a declining state. 

I think what @mrsconn said is right. There's just no right answer. 
    Thanks for this, I think we’re leaning towards not going. 

It really sucks, I’m super close with SIL and it’s so hard. But with it inside, with it being so large (her dad was an active member in his church, was an area dentist, and professor) and with so many people traveling I think it’s too risky. When we stopped yesterday she basically said “one of us is getting Covid it just depends on who it is and how and”. 

There’s definitely no right answer and it all sucks. 
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    .   @climbingwife haven't heard from you in a few days- hope everything is okay and you're spending lots of time at your brother's house.  Happy Canada Day to our Knotties in the North (*said in a GoT accent*)
    I'm good! I keep meaning to post but am getting caught up in work. It's been a crazy week already! I was at my brother's for a few days and will be back there this weekend, thankfullly!
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Just googled baby foot peel- wow I need it. 

I can't believe how political mask wearing has become.  America has so many cases statistically bc we're a such an individualistic culture.  If this doesn't impact me it doesn't matter to me.  All the "if you don't feel safe going to a bar/getting a haircut/going to a concert than don't go, but give me the freedom to do so!" in April/May, missing the point that it's about what's best for everyone, collectively.  (Just hoping I don't hear "New Yorkers are rude" when I'm in other parts of the country ever again ;))

@VarunaTT your answers sound perfect.   @climbingwife haven't heard from you in a few days- hope everything is okay and you're spending lots of time at your brother's house.  Happy Canada Day to our Knotties in the North (*said in a GoT accent*)
    Ah yes.  I suppose most regions have their stereotypes, perhaps with some kernels of truth lol, but mostly false.

I've been to NYC twice and everyone I ran into...with the exception of one restaurant...was lovely and friendly.  And even the restaurant had the best Italian food of my life, so it was only a minor annoyance that the host and server were snooty and dismissive, lol.

I miss traveling.  Meeting people from other areas.  Walking around different cities and soaking in the vibes.  Eating local cuisine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had a great weekend at the shore.  We were able to avoid crowds by doing things at off hours.  DD loved being at the shore with her Granny, Pop & Little Mom (my niece).  I'm just trying to get through this week at work for the long weekend.

I'm also having a small giggle right now.  H put the water pitcher back in the fridge.  Its one of those double ones from Pur.  He left it sticking out of the shelf too much and when he closed it - the dispenser pushed back.  About 10 minutes later he went to get us water and found the whole thing empty!  Usually this is something I would clean up - but not today!  I'm enjoying this little show!

I have yoga today and looking forward to it.
  • Options

I've been to NYC twice and everyone I ran into...with the exception of one restaurant...was lovely and friendly.  And even the restaurant had the best Italian food of my life, so it was only a minor annoyance that the host and server were snooty and dismissive, lol.

I miss traveling.  Meeting people from other areas.  Walking around different cities and soaking in the vibes.  Eating local cuisine.
    Same, girl, same

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2020
    So bummed!  One of my tenants just texted me that they don't have any of July's rent and don't expect any money, any time soon.

I told her the best of a bad situation is for us to put together a move-out plan because she will avoid an eviction that way and I would be willing to return some of her security deposit.  While it's hard to tell with text, she seemed surprised I'd be willing to return some of their security deposit so I'm hoping-hoping-hoping she takes me up on that.

Edited: She replied back they will move out over the next week (crossing my fingers).

It will certainly be a loss for me but, if that's the incentive that helps them go quickly, it's a substantially smaller monetary loss then if they dug their heels in and forced me to take them to eviction court.  The courts were closed for 3 months and, although they are open now, I can only imagine the backlog.

On a small positive side, they ended up being a bad tenant choice for other reasons and we will not be sorry to see them leave.  They are the ones who are insanely loud and for whom my H and I have had bad gut feelings that there is something shady going on with them.  Their lease was up at the end of August and we'd strongly been considering not renewing it anyway.  But it's still tough to suddenly be left in the lurch like this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So bummed!  One of my tenants just texted me that they don't have any of July's rent and don't expect any money, any time soon.

I told her the best of a bad situation is for us to put together a move-out plan because she will avoid an eviction that way and I would be willing to return some of her security deposit.  While it's hard to tell with text, she seemed surprised I'd be willing to return some of their security deposit so I'm hoping-hoping-hoping she takes me up on that.

Edited: She replied back they will move out over the next week (crossing my fingers).

It will certainly be a loss for me but, if that's the incentive that helps them go quickly, it's a substantially smaller monetary loss then if they dug their heels in and forced me to take them to eviction court.  The courts were closed for 3 months and, although they are open now, I can only imagine the backlog.

On a small positive side, they ended up being a bad tenant choice for other reasons and we will not be sorry to see them leave.  They are the ones who are insanely loud and for whom my H and I have had bad gut feelings that there is something shady going on with them.  Their lease was up at the end of August and we'd strongly been considering not renewing it anyway.  But it's still tough to suddenly be left in the lurch like this!
    Yeah, that's a bummer. But it's also a blessing, since you weren't going to renew their lease. Hopefully you can find good replacement tenants.
  • Options
    Having Zoom problems, but otherwise, a pretty normal day for me thus far.