Wedding Woes

Tuesday. Again.

For those of you with kids, did you get to a point where you just lost focus and motivation at work? Because all I want to do these days is lay in the air conditioning and watch bad TV. 

But instead I’m attempting to get things done. I don’t actually have a ton to do which is also contributing to my lack of motivation. 

Anyone have anything fun going on?

Re: Tuesday. Again.

• For those of you with kids, did you get to a point where you just lost focus and motivation at work? Because all I want to do these days is lay in the air conditioning and watch bad TV. 

But instead I’m attempting to get things done. I don’t actually have a ton to do which is also contributing to my lack of motivation. 

In pregnancy?  I think I reached the point where I started to feel like I needed to plan with one foot out the door.  But I also kept wanting to get things done.

Then again, for Chiquita, we moved 5 days before she was born and for Chiquito I wanted to just get as settled as I could before he showed up a week late. 
  • banana468 said:
    For those of you with kids, did you get to a point where you just lost focus and motivation at work? Because all I want to do these days is lay in the air conditioning and watch bad TV. 

In pregnancy?  I think I reached the point where I started to feel like I needed to plan with one foot out the door.  But I also kept wanting to get things done.

Then again, for Chiquita, we moved 5 days before she was born and for Chiquito I wanted to just get as settled as I could before he showed up a week late. 
    Yes! I feel like I hit month 9 and exhaustion hit all over again and I have zero motivation at work. I think part donut is that I already have a transition plan in place so I don’t actually have a ton more to do before I’m out. We planned it this way in the event I went out early. Which was great but now that I’m exhausted and not all that busy I don’t want to do the few things I have left on my plate. 
  • Also @banana468 I can’t imagine moving right now! You must be superwoman. 
  • banana468 said:

Yes! I feel like I hit month 9 and exhaustion hit all over again and I have zero motivation at work. I think part donut is that I already have a transition plan in place so I don’t actually have a ton more to do before I’m out. We planned it this way in the event I went out early. Which was great but now that I’m exhausted and not all that busy I don’t want to do the few things I have left on my plate. 
    I was like that for the first one. Basically I just ran out of things to do, and while I could potentially brainstorm for far in the future, I did not feel like it.
  • Wait you have to be pregnant to lose motivation at work?

It’s day 2 back at work for me and in my head I was going to get up early to work out, do weights at night and go back on weight watchers.

Yeah.  None of that happened. BUT I slept through both nights, and it was a struggle to wake up.  During my wfh I was up in the middle of the night almost every night. Is it a feeling of security being back in an office even though I was working the entire time?
    This is the reassurance I needed!!
  • banana468 said:

I was like that for the first one. Basically I just ran out of things to do, and while I could potentially brainstorm for far in the future, I did not feel like it.
    Exactly! I just don’t feel like doing planning for November that probably won’t even be relevant at that point. 
  • Also @banana468 I can’t imagine moving right now! You must be superwoman. 
    We'll be here 10 years in November and still have unpacked boxes. 
  • SSDD here. I've started waking up in the night; no clue why. I probably need to take another vacation day, but I don't know when. Work is about to get crazy busy. 

I'm thinking of trying to take a virtual sewing class. I ended up with a sewing machine a while ago, but kind of figured out that I need to take a class to really understand how to use it. I put it off with the move, but I'm thinking now I just need to take advantage of the home time to figure it out. I'm not trying to go insane, but I'd love to be able to do simple things like repairing seams and fixing hems. Does anyone sew? How did you learn? 
  • @charlotte989875 I didn't lose motivation at work (I was wrapping up busy season so it was a whirlwind) but I 100% lost motivation at home. H pretty much took over all of the cleaning, laundry, cooking and dog duty so I could sit on the couch 24/7 and go to bed at 8 pm lol.
  • I don't even have kids/am pregnant, and I have zero motivation to work. I also would like to just lay in bed and watch TV. I felt that way yesterday and I'm feeling it again today. It's truly a struggle to just sit here at my computer trying to accomplish things. I'm feeling so burnt out. BLEH. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2020
    I was due in early April and I slogged through work starting in mid-February.  I did have two baby showers in the month before I was due, and one was with work people, so that kind of helped keep me going.  The last week or two of work was the worst. 

I was also due at the same time as about 4 people I knew (a couple at work and a couple in my mom group).  They were all scheduled C-sections for one reason or another and they were all planned for a Tuesday.  I remember driving home from work on the Friday before I went into labor and bitching to my mom that all these other people knew their 'end' date, while I had no idea.  I went into labor Sunday and had DefConn Monday.  I lapped all of them.  Hee. 

The fun here never stops.  A short, nasty storm hit near FIL's house (which is about 5 or 6 miles from us as the crow flies) and he had 4 downed trees, with one hitting his house.  We only heard thunder here.  No one was home but the dog, who got the shit scared out of her.  There's some roof/gutter damage, but most of the mess is in the yard.  DH and DefConn went to help him and the kiddo out last night with clean-up.  Of course, one of the trees was COVERED in poison ivy.  DH and DefConn took 2 showers last night (one at FIL's and one when they got home). 

Poor DefConn's rash has spread some, which may be from last night or just what he already had. Who knows?  He also woke me up around 4am complaining of a headache.  I gave him some tylenol and sent him back to bed.  He seemed OK this morning, except the itching. 

Other than that, not much else to report.  SSDD  It's Tuesday.  Work is work.  Looking forward to our long weekend, but also looking forward to the lack of plans afterward.  I'm so happy I took Monday off for a decompress/clean up day. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Laying in air conditioning and watching tv all day actually sounds amazing @charlotte989875
    I'm having a very blah day too.  Drove my car to the mechanic earlier bc it's making a weird purring sound when it starts and walked home.  It's so humid I had to shower again.  Fingers crossed whatever is wrong with the car is something that costs less than $1000 or so.  (Or, like, less than $100, but everything with cars is so expensive.)  Attacked my kids' toy closet and got two bags out (nothing curb alert worthy this time).  It's supposed to rain, just a dreary day.
  • Add me to the zero motivation club. Yesterday really sucked and I can’t see the rest of this week being much better. I was ready to tear my staff a new one yesterday. I really have no control over staffing and hiring. I advocated for them and got two additional people to help out from another location for today. Then my staff had the nerve to complain about it. Like excuse me, would you prefer I had just said “oh well, deal with what we have?” Because I could have done that and let you all drown. Ugh. 

Last night was rough. FI is so upset about the kitten. It was really traumatic for him. I did some research this morning and it really seems like we did everything we could short of switching meds (which we were scheduled to do the next day), and giving the kitten more penicillin injections (which I had asked for the week before since they had seemed to help—they told me no). I’m bummed our vet is closed because I’d like some guidance on how to disinfect the den and any prophylactic treatment they might recommend for our kitties even though the kitten was kept isolated in the den. 

I’m ready for the weekend already. I’m taking next Monday off and Friday can’t come soon enough. 

• For those of you with kids, did you get to a point where you just lost focus and motivation at work? Because all I want to do these days is lay in the air conditioning and watch bad TV. 

SIB:
    YES.  It was when our busy time was over in early-mid Nov.  I wasn't due til Dec 31 but pretty much the last 6 weeks, nothing got done other than the absolute bare minimum.  Although at home I was super nesting and doing deep cleaning and painting and organizing and running errands til the last minute (he came 2 weeks early).  I guarantee I would have had no home motivation had it been summer and 90+ degrees everyday!!!!
  • @levioosa, I'm so sorry about the kitten!  I know you all did your best to save it.  And at least the kitten's final days were with a full belly, as comfortable as possible, and in a place of love.

I'm surprised how much catch up I have at work.  But I'm slogging through.  I wouldn't call it "fun", lol.  But my "excitement" is I'm putting a rental ad up at lunch for our latest unit that's ready for our rehabbed duplexes.

In fact, we already had an odd incident with it.  So here's a weird story for the day, lol.  Someone who lives in the neighborhood had occasionally been checking on our progress because she wants to move in.  She gave us an application on Thurs.  Most of it was not filled in, including a name/contact for her current and past landlord.  She didn't fill anything in for her employer either but, she is on housing assistance, so it's possible she doesn't work.  One of the most important things I want is a landlord reference, but it's especially crucial when there is nothing else to check.  My H got back in touch with her and got her landlord reference info.  She was continually checking with my H on Fri. about the status of her application. which is a little bit of a red flag when someone is that intense.

Soooo, if I do say so myself, I'm a little smarter than the average bear.  If it is at all possible...and for addresses in Orleans Parish it is...I check public records before I call the landlord name/phone number I'm given.  Once I have the name of the property owner, I also try to independently find the phone number.  I discovered the house she is supposedly renting is owned by an LLC and managed by a property management company.  I called the PM company on Fri., but had to leave a message and haven't heard back from them.  As an aside, there are over a dozen properties tied to both that LLC/PM combo, so it's a pretty good-sized operation.

Then I called the name and number she gave me.  Not the PM company or number either, which is unusual.  The whole reason an owner will pay a PM company big bucks is to make their investment hands-off.  But I keep an open mind.  I got in touch with the person whose number she gave me.  After I got the reference, I asked him for verification purposes if he could tell me the name of the PM company.  He paused like he was trying to remember.  Then said he forgot their name and would have to check with his wife and get back to me.  I didn't say any of this to him, but my thoughts:  Really?  A company who manages over a dozen properties for you and to whom you pay thousands of dollars in fees to every month?  Their name is just escaping you at the moment?  Right.  Okay.

One last chance, "That's okay.  Instead, can you tell me the business name you own this property under?"  He answers something about he doesn't know because his PM company "handles all of that".  No they don't, smh.  He might have misunderstood what I was asking.  But dollars to doughnuts this was a bogus reference that the potential tenant gave me.  It doesn't happen often, but it happens.  Hence why I try to find something about the property that an owner would know, but a random friend asked to give a reference wouldn't.

Oh, and after I spoke to this guy, that potential tenant suddenly stopped trying to get in touch with my H.  I'm tellin' ya!  Gotta stay on your toes sometimes.        
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That’s such good news @Jen4948, which you all definitely need right now!
  • SSDD here. I've started waking up in the night; no clue why. I probably need to take another vacation day, but I don't know when. Work is about to get crazy busy. 

I'm thinking of trying to take a virtual sewing class. I ended up with a sewing machine a while ago, but kind of figured out that I need to take a class to really understand how to use it. I put it off with the move, but I'm thinking now I just need to take advantage of the home time to figure it out. I'm not trying to go insane, but I'd love to be able to do simple things like repairing seams and fixing hems. Does anyone sew? How did you learn? 
    I make quilts and am starting my second bag. Quilting is very beginner friendly and will help you learn your machine. I second YouTube, but also just jumping right in. Pick a project you want to do and then Google the steps that you have questions on. 
  • And really, sewing is fairly forgiving b/c you can always rip a seam out.  I've had to do that lots and lots.