Wedding Woes
Options

Why would HE want to invite unsupportive people?

Dear Prudence,

My boyfriend of seven years and I have finally decided to get married, which is very exciting! Our wedding is going to be small but most of the guests will be my fiancé’s family from out of state, whom I have never met. I am a trans woman, and I’m certain most of his family (excluding his parents and brothers) already know that. While his immediate family are kind and supportive (more so than my own), he has occasionally confided in me about his relatives’ racism and homophobia, which he sees on Facebook. I’m worried about the possibility that one of them will make a scene when they meet me. How can I best avoid this? I don’t want to bar his family from coming (especially since we’ve already sent out save-the-dates), but I don’t want to be the focus of cruelty or bigotry, either. My fiancé has assured me he’s going to do everything he can to make me comfortable and happy, but I don’t want him to have to make sacrifices for what should be our special day.

—Terrified Bride

Re: Why would HE want to invite unsupportive people?

• Options
    Why would you send out STDs without having this conversation? Do they know LW is trans? What is FI doing to make sure she is comfortable and happy? 
  • Options
    I'd suggest they hire a security person to handle anyone who is rude and unruly.  It probably and hopefully wouldn't be needed, but I think it would give the LW peace of mind.  I say "probably" because I'd like to think the FI isn't such an idiot that he would invite anyone who even might cause a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Why invite them? 

But that ship has sailed so if they come tell your FI any word of terrible behavior and he needs to have them leave. No questions asked. No one should disrespect you on our wedding day.