Wedding Woes
Options

How to be open after being burned in the past.

Dear Prudence,

Eight years ago, I was trapped in an emotionally abusive relationship that got so bad I strongly considered suicide. I had a plan and took steps toward carrying it out. Luckily, I told my closest friend, who immediately took me to a therapist and got me help. I managed to get out of that relationship and move away for a fresh start. Now I have my dream job and a new partner, “Taylor,” who treats me wonderfully, and whom I hope to marry. I’ve told Taylor about my past depression but they don’t know about my suicidal crisis. I’m torn about whether to disclose. On the one hand, I’m miles away from that awful state, which was only brought on by that abusive relationship. I also know I can’t predict the future, and there might come a time when Taylor could need to know about my past to help ensure my safety.

On the other hand, I’ve disclosed my bout of suicidal ideation to two other people in the past eight years, and it permanently altered our relationship. Both ended up treating me with kid gloves, and I felt like they stopped seeing me as a strong, resilient person. I don’t want that to happen with Taylor. Taylor is very progressive and open-minded—but so were the other two. Should I reveal the extent of my past depression to Taylor? Or continue to lie by omission?

—Whose Business and When

Re: How to be open after being burned in the past.

• Options
    I don’t think this is a lie. You can tell Taylor if and when you want to. 
  • Options
    It seems like LW does want to discuss it, but is just afraid of the consequences.  I get that.  I think LW has to trust in the relationship, give Taylor room to process all of it and maybe have resources for them, but also create boundaries for LW in discussing and moving forward with it.

I know that when K told me about their suicide attempt and the self harming, it took me awhile to process it and it still scares me.  When they have an episode, those things are never far from my mind.  I also took control the way I could to give myself peace (I have my own materials to read/work through regarding K's diagnosis and K has theirs; we tend to work on them together) and also support my partner in a healthy manner that doesn't push against their personhood.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if the LW wants to tell Taylor or feels obligated to tell Taylor.  I'm concerned they used the phrase "lie by omission", when it is no such thing.

I don't think having strong suicidal thoughts in the past is a pertinent enough fact to ever be disclose to Taylor, unless the LW wants to.

I know they mentioned one of the reasons is so if they are in a bad place in the future, they want Taylor to be aware and help them stay safe.  I'm wondering if the same thing could be accomplished with a general reference of "you know the bad times I went through and that I'm seeing a therapist, if you start seeing me go downhill (and/or see signs XYZ), please say something and do ABC actions.

I'm also curious to know more about what went wrong when she told the previous two partners.  I found @VarunaTT's post especially enlightening and it made me wonder if she gave them enough time to adjust.  Or did they try couple's counseling when things started to change for the worst.

I know I wasn't the one there, so I don't know.  But it's not making sense to me that they would have perpetually treated her with kid gloves and had their views changed.  I could definitely see that happening initially.  But human nature is more like people falling back into their normal habits and routines,  The person they are spending time with is happy and resilient.  So the sad past of suicidal thoughts is no longer foremost in their mind.  Or maybe the "treating with kid gloves " became the new habit and then they had trouble shaking it.

I'm just thinking out loud!  Trying to analyze why it previously went wrong, lol.  Because that's a pattern and one I wouldn't have expected.  I hope LW finds a way to break the pattern.  Do something differently that still gets Taylor the info she thinks he should have, but without the previous fallout.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy Interesting, I read the two other people that LW disclosed to as someone other than partners, like friends or family. If the people were partners and it changed the dynamic, it's a very different thing than a close friend not knowing how to react and using kid gloves. 
  • Options
    Awww, what a sweet guy!

I hate how we can't ask Prudie LWs follow up questions.