Wedding Woes

Just don't make another appointment.

Dear Prudence,

I always figured my hair stylist and I didn’t see eye-to-eye on political issues, but we kept our conversation to our personal lives, movies, and TV shows. She’s a genuinely nice person and I’m certain she’s kind to everyone. Then I saw that recently on social media she attacked Nancy Pelosi when she got her hair cut. I just can’t go back to her as if nothing happened. I can’t go back at all. Do I ghost her or tell her what I’m switching stylists? I don’t really want to make her feel bad, because she’s not a bad person. We just disagree.

—Politics and Pomade

Re: Just don't make another appointment.

• Just don’t go back. 
  • LW, are you looking to have a dialogue?  Do you want to understand why your hairdresser may have an issue with someone as high profile as Nancy Pelosi who touts what needs to be safe and then walks into a salon for a private session?   There were so many issues surrounding that one instance that IMO were problematic and IMO to absolve the Speaker of the House of any wrongdoing does not in any way mean that you support her opposition.   

If you are uninterested in a dialogue and want to end that relationship then move on.   To do so and force with the last word seems a bit petulant. 
  • If LW doesn't feel comfortable, don't keep going. Simple.

It's a hair stylist, not a family member - they won't necessarily ask questions.
  • You don't owe a stylist any explanation, and an explanation is likely not going to go the way you think it is. 

This is a reason that as a professional, I would never connect with clients, colleagues, etc on personal social media. Set up a separate pro account if there's a marketing reason, but inviting clients into your personal space isn't a great idea. 
  • I have to admit, I never understand these kind of dilemmas.

I realize a relationship with a stylist can be years long and more personal then with other types of business relationships.  But if the relationship is no longer working for the LW, then just stop going.  It's not that hard.

Don't plan some "grand good-bye" conversation, that outlines your reasons why you are leaving.  Why would the LW even consider doing that?  What would be the point?  Just to explain her upcoming absences?  It's kinder for the stylist to think the LW just moved along for any wide variety of reasons then have an awkward and unnecessary conversation about their difference in views.

My advice might be different if the LW was leaving over something the stylist was doing in her business that could be corrected, ie constructive criticism.  Like appointments always running 40 minutes late.  But I don't think "I didn't like what you posted on your personal social media page" as rising to that level.  The stylist already knows or should know that some people might be put off by her opinions that can be publicly found and has chosen to express her opinion anyway.  Happens all the time, around the world.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • People change salons and stylists all the time for all sorts of reasons. It doesn't require an explanation or a "break up." If you no longer feel comfortable with this woman, just go to someone else and get on with your life.