Wedding Woes

The name change game.

Dear Prudence,

I came out and started transitioning to male right after high school. I’m now in my late 20s. While I still go by the first name I chose as a teenager, I’m “feeling it” less and less. For starters, it definitely fits that particular “drowning Victorian orphan” trans male name stereotype (think Barrington or Elroy). People have had problems pronouncing it, spelling it, you name it. I also worry that potential employers won’t take it seriously. It’s gender-neutral in a way that’s confusing, and I often get told I don’t look like a “Heathcliffe.”

The names I’m considering now (John, Robert, etc.) are more conventional but seem like a better fit—easier to pronounce, easier to spell. But do I want to go through the name change process, legally and socially, yet again? I had just updated my passport! Is it reasonable to ask people in my life to have to switch first names again?

—Not Drowning but Waving

Re: The name change game.

• Why not try out the name is lower stakes arenas before making the big legal permanent change? Is there a way to test it out before making the switch? You can go by whatever you want and if they name you chose as a teenager no longer fits it’s fine to find something that does!
  • I'm curious if the family is supportive in the sense of LW could talk to family about a name. I know a few people who are trans who broached their parents while thinking of a new name {the typical "if I had been born opposite gender, what would you have named me?" kinda deal}
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    {M's cousin is trans and she was an oopsie baby, so parents didn't have names picked lol}
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with the LW wanting to change their name again, if that's what they want to do.  But it does sound like a huge hassle and I think it's a lot easier to just pick a good nickname.  It doesn't even necessarily have to be related to their first name, though it would probably be easier if it was.

Like @MyNameIsNot mentioned, your official legal name rarely comes up.  Lots of people switch it up with their middle name, even going both ways.  And, functionally, I don't think that's any different from the LW's situation.  My mom went by her middle name as a child but, as an adult, wanted to go by her first name.

We had a family friend who liked her first name (P) just fine.  But, after she got her masters and started a new career, decided her middle name (L) sounded more professional and requested everyone use that name instead.  That was 25 years ago and I still think of her first name, first.  And have that extra second to remember "wait, she's not P anymore, she's L".  To be fair, I'm not really in touch with her, so I'm sure it would be different if I regularly interacted with her. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker